The Kinks' diminishing importance over time?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RTW, Oct 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

Shouldn't this question be asked about a group that was really important, like the Beatles or The Who?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
  2. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Kontrovesry over Rubber Soul? Darn, I want those drugs you're taking :D:D:D:D

3. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Some high-quality Single Malt Scotch, a reliable portable generator and some large, well-trained dogs are also good to have around in a pinch (lol).

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  4. Lightworker

Guinness over ganja, I guess (lol) for those albums.

[​IMG]

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  5. Detroit Rock Citizen

I respect your right to your opinion. The Who? You're probably right just on the amount of top notch product that each band released through 1971. The Beatles? ??? Did I say you have a right to your opinion?

Lightworker likes this.
  6. Detroit Rock Citizen

Nope I'd probably still prefer Rubber Soul (both versions) over a few pints of Guinness. And Just for the record Kontroversy over either version of Out of Our Heads or December's Children. I'd say it sits in the middle of the two My Generations.

Lightworker likes this.
  7. Detroit Rock Citizen

The Kinks were and are still important. They're just not the Beatles or the Stones.

8. Detroit Rock Citizen

Ok, why does this have the Who when the post I'm replying to does not. The Beatles are still important, probably the most important ever. The Who? Well, they're still together in a fashion.

Sserber and Invisible Man like this.
  9. Detroit Rock Citizen

and Guinness over Lone Star? What kind of Texan are you? :D:D

Lightworker likes this.
  10. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

If you like the Beatles better, fine. I prefer the Kinks.

11. Lightworker

The Beatles were an influence to some degree on virtually every working American band in 1964/1965...from The Beach Boys (see: "competition") to Buck Owens & The Buckaroos (see: "adaptation").
    Most U.S. and Canadian teen bands covered Beatles songs, but many lacked the vocal chops to achieve convincing 'Beatle harmonies'...enhancing the popularity (Stateside) of bands like The Kinks, The Yardbirds, The Rolling Stones and even Herman's Hermits. Their hits could be more convincingly covered by singers who could passably mimic U.K. accents on engage in energetic 'white' blues shouting.

12. Detroit Rock Citizen

Well that proves that the Kinks are important.

mark winstanley, sharedon and ajsmith like this.
  13. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

They are important to me and this is enough

14. Pianoman99

Pianoman99 Forum Resident

Well said.

And we shouldn't forget that the Who were very inspired by the Kinks. For me the Kinks' work between 1966-7o is especially important in a cultural way. They were not marketed well and their ban in the US definitely didn't help. Bands like the Rolliing Stones and the Who managed the transition to the seventies better than bands like the Kinks and the Hollies. The Kinks' popularity in the US increased during the seventies, but that was not the case worldwide.

15. Detroit Rock Citizen

I'd say from Preservation to Schoolboy's but I get it. Muswell is a classic and Showbiz is still quite listenable although it's back down to a pre Kontroversy level IMHO

16. Lightworker

One with working taste buds that prefers Shiner Bock to Lone Star unless it's over 105 degrees Fahrenheit outside (lol).

[​IMG]

17. Detroit Rock Citizen

The line 'bloodshot alcoholic eyes' is a classic example of English literature.

Zack, Adam9 and Lightworker like this.
  18. Detroit Rock Citizen

I understand that happens quite frequently in Texas. :laughup::laughup::laughup:

Lightworker likes this.
  19. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

For me, 65 through 70 the Kinks to me are only topped by The Beatles. To me The Kinks top the Stones and The Who in this era.

1. The Beatles
    2 The Kinks
    3. The Stones
    4. The Byrds
    5. The Who

20. Detroit Rock Citizen

Never a huge Byrds fan (Sweetheart excepted)
    I love Aftermath (both versions) except for a certain 11:05 and yes definitely Something Else over Buttons and Satanic but IMHO come 68 the Stones KICK the Kinks behinds up until well, Undercover and State of Confusion. Full disclosure, I made a list of the most overrated albums of all time and Village Green is on it, and on a much lesser scale Emotional Rescue is underrated. But that's just me.
    I'd take Tommy and especially Who's Next (not to mention Live at Leeds and Meaty) over the corresponding Kinks albums. That would take it to 1971 and Sticky Fingers.
    Shall I bring up J, P, and G's 1970 and 1971 solo albums?

21. doctor fuse

doctor fuse Forum Resident

Sacrilege! Blasphemy! :D:yikes::uhhuh:

Zeki and Detroit Rock Citizen like this.
  22. Invisible Man

Invisible Man Forum Resident

I think there is some confusion here as this thread is not "What Bands Do You Like Better Than the Kinks?" or ""What Bands Do You Believe to be Inferior to the Kinks?" :rolleyes:

23. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

Great post. Insightful comment.

doctor fuse likes this.
  24. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I totally agree with what you're saying there...
    On that last point.... I probably see and deal with over a hundred people a day (the pandemic made absolutely no difference to that whatsoever), and except for a few fleeting hours on Saturday and Sunday morning, I never get a chance to sit by myself. I'm certainly not Human contacted out, but I really could use a little more alone time :)
    Having said that though, there is nothing better than the occasional Saturday night with the wife and a couple of friends and few drinks, some music and some good deep chats.... I would certainly love more of that.

25. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I love some songs on Rubber Soul, but I don't love it as an album... one of my least favourite Beatles albums.... whether UK or US.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.