The Kinks' diminishing importance over time?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RTW, Oct 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. donstemple

donstemple Member of the Club

“IMO” is doing a lot of work there.

2. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Yep, you can marc that down.

donstemple likes this.
  3. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Yeah plus kids were disenfranchised and the Stones didn't exactly look primed, proper & privileged & they recognised the future of rock "n" roll particularly as presented in a live environment.
    Make no mistake, more group's copied the Beatles early on but that changed or at least appeared that it obviously did.

4. CatchAsCan

CatchAsCan Forum Resident

I used to be a big Kinks fan, and still own many "vinyls" and CDs. I almost never listen to them. I've also seen the original band twice, Ray a few times, and Dave once. It might be a Ray allergy, though, because I now prefer Dave tracks if I do listen to the Kinks.

5. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The Kinks will always be one of the most influential and important British bands.

6. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Forum Resident

How many bands do you consider that applies to? Just for reference, as that phrase could mean any number of bands.

7. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Many

Buddybud, GarySteel and bhazen like this.
  8. doity

doity Forum Resident

Because they didn’t get the same repetitive airplay like Zep, Floyd, The Who, and all the rest get. How many songs do you hear of theirs on a continual basis......maybe 4 at most?

9. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

"In the future, everyone will be world-famous for 15 minutes, especially the Kinks." - Andy Warhol.

GungaLagunga and doctor fuse like this.
  10. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

and of course the Kinks inspired The Velvet Underground too.... the Kinks importance just keeps getting bigger and bigger.
    It has been an awfully long fifteen minutes, give it up dude, you don't have a leg to stand on.

11. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

The Kinks are of diminishing importance because rock itself (especially 'rock & roll') is of diminishing importance
    in a world seemingly bent on LCD global homogenization. The regionalism that made American (and Australian
    and Dutch and Canadian etc. etc.) rock music scenes so richly interesting is pretty much a thing of the past now.
    Hip-Hop also arose out of grassroots scenes that were regionally diverse, but these days I can't hear anything that
    would differentiate East Coat/West Coast/Dirty South R&B/rap records. Country music is the same. Dead boring.

12. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

INCREASING importance.

Hep Alien and doctor fuse like this.
  13. GarySteel

GarySteel Bastard of old

Importance? Why is that important? :D

They were a great band with a long and varied career spanning three decades and many ups and downs. Of course (?) the Beatlers and the Stones are more culturally significant because they were more popular and had Real Rock Stars (and Bill and Ringo) in their line ups. But the quality compared to quantity of the Kinks' music is up there with any band ever, IMO.

14. Uuan

Uuan Forum Resident

What revolution stuff ?

15. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I think @Crawdad was quoting a David Bowie song.

16. Uuan

Uuan Forum Resident

For better or worse the Davies brothers were not real rock stars !

Duh !

17. Uuan

Uuan Forum Resident

• I know , ATYD , but what stuff exactly ?

18. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Too many snags.

Adam9 likes this.
  19. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

See the post below

20. doctor fuse

doctor fuse Forum Resident

I hear you, to a degree. Hasn't there always been a huge ratio between commercial crap (whether successful or not), in music of any genre, and the few artists and recordings who outlive the "flavour of the day" aspect of commercial music?

If this is true, it makes sense that it is difficult to find the best music out there today - you would have to listen to new music almost 24/7, over a period of months, to find it.

21. allbrosca

allbrosca Dancing Madly Backwards

I know. Its true. It was the subject of a Granada TV special called Starmaker. Ray (or Norman) imagined the whole thing!

CheshireCat, Adam9 and doctor fuse like this.
  22. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

I used to discover great new sounds in large metro areas on some university and co-op radio stations. Even that seems to be be dying out (fewer stations/lamer programmers).

CheshireCat and doctor fuse like this.
  23. doctor fuse

doctor fuse Forum Resident

Likewise! Although the talk radio produced by college radio (in my neck of the woods, anyways) has really improved - much better than commercial talk radio.

I have to admit, though, I don't explore internet radio as much as I could.

Lightworker likes this.
  24. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

For me personally it has been a bit of a roller coaster ride with The Kinks. I love the early singles I heard on the radio. The first albums I really engaged with were those from the mid to late 70's. The Kink Kronickles covered all of the earlier stuff I needed. However very lately I have been revisiting early Kinks albums and adding a number to my library.

25. shakesomeaction

shakesomeaction ‘s what i need

Where were the Beatles and Stones in the 1970’s when the Kinks were churning out top ten hits and touring relentlessly? Snorting coke in discotheques and shooting smack on the Upper West Side, that’s where.
    God save the Kinks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.