The Kinks "Lola" question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lsupro, Jun 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xios

xios Senior Member

I bought the '98 Kontroversy remaster and sold my 1986 PRT pressing. Boy what a mistake that was. It took me a year to find another. The PRT sounds like my pink Pye 60's vinyl, except for "Till the End of the Day", which sounds better on the CD (less flat and muffled). The '98 remaster has been messed with on the high end and I don't like it.

2. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Re: Re: Re: KINKS KONTROVERSY

Well yeah it isn't bad...until you compare it to the original vinyl. I was very disappointed with it in comparison to the vinyl. It really is one of the few albums in my collection which really sounds better on vinyl...and I'm not a vinyl purist by any means.
    Having pontificated, a great album is a great album is a great album. So if you can only play CD's , get the first Castle remaster (or the second) . The songs are still great.
    Sitting on My Sofa is still sorta a neat song, but is available elsewhere. The other bonus track, "Dedicated Follower..." is easily available elsewhere. The other 2 bonus tracks are very strictly for completists.

3. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

????
    "I'm glad I'm a man and so is Lola"
    "talks like a man"
    "but when she squeezed me tight she nearly broke my spine"

OK,
    Why does 'anyone' think Lola IS a Woman?
    Or,
    Why does anyone think Ray's BEING "ambiguous"?
    (other than the song would NEVER have gotten played on the radio, if he had be any more BLATANT about Lola's true gender)

I 'think' this song both helped get Lou Reed's: Walk on the Wildside get played on the radio, as well as inspired it.

Discuss!

4. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

I think suggesting that "Lola" inspired "Walk on the Wild Side" is overstating the case. I'm sure Lou was probably acquainted with real transvestites hanging out in The Village during the Velvets days!

5. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

]

Agreed, and if you don't have the 2nd bonus cd get it asap.

6. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Because he is (being ambiguous, that is). He doesn't clearly state anywhere in the song what gender Lola is. How is that NOT ambiguous? The "I'm glad I'm a man and so is Lola" line is a masterpiece of ambiguousity (is that a word?) I think Lola is a man, but it's eternally open to debate, given the evidence in the song.

7. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Great thing about Lola is that in the album it is the hit single of the main character. So Ray was highly confident that it was going to be a hit.

Not the huge hit it became. That is impossible to predict.

8. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Yes, that's why I picked it up. I heard it was going OOP so when I saw it at HMV at the local mall I grabbed it pronto. The second disc is very nifty with tons of previously unreleased stuff and the first disc collects the great singles with very good sound.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.