The Kinks - Lola vs Powerman & The Moneygoround 50th anniversary... predictions, suggestions, etc.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by slop101, Jan 3, 2020.

1. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

As much as Percy would be filler, I'd love to be able to discharge my Lola Deluxe from service and replace it with this, like I could with the VGPS set. I couldn't with Arthur as that Shangri-La backing track is essential.

croquetlawns likes this.
  2. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

I must say the box artwork looks very smart. I like how they’ve focused in on the design of the central motif. It actually works a lot better than the original LP art: more striking.

3. TimeWarper

TimeWarper A Well Respected Man

I feel like these Kinks box sets (in terms of content) get smaller and smaller every year. By the time we get to the Arista stuff it’ll just be an empty box.

4. joshbg2k

joshbg2k Forum Resident

Andrew Sandoval posted something on Instagram with album tapes spinning, so presumably yes.

I have a couple clean originals that I love but I don’t think I’ll be able to resist this.

5. TimeWarper

Don’t understand what took this album so long to get reissued it’s not like it had one of their biggest hits on it or anything. How did Percy get reissued on vinyl and not this, but I guess as Ray says “the world keeps going round.”

John Bliss, savemenow and joeislive like this.
  6. TimeandTempo

TimeandTempo Forum Resident

wait, when did Percy get a reissue?

7. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Was hoping for an official announcement today, but at least we know it will be happening. Can't wait to get that Lola vinyl.

8. Captain Rogers

Captain Rogers Forum Resident

Ya, same

9. TimeWarper

The Kinks 50th reissues that came out in around 2014

10. HadgeTunes

HadgeTunes Forum Resident

Not part of the series. Last Percy reissue was the 2003 Earmark (which Lola was also a part of).

granata likes this.
  11. TimeWarper

Strange because I could have sworn I saw someone in a record store with a copy of it in their hands with the Kinks 50th sticker. Guess it was all in the mind (you know).

HadgeTunes and FJFP like this.
  12. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

I'm antsy for a tracklist now. I really hope we get some scraps from the unfinished follow up album...

13. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Percy was included with the Deluxe Edition Lola CD.

[​IMG]

DEAN OF ROCK, supermd and jlf like this.
  14. TimeandTempo

Not on vinyl though, which is what the original post was referring to.

croquetlawns likes this.
  15. Jollero

Jollero Well-Known Member

I think I know the solution to the puzzle, in 2014 it was the 50th anniversary of the band (the release of their debut LP) and in fact such a sticker appeared on the reissues.

croquetlawns and johnnybrum like this.
  16. fast'n'bulbous

fast'n'bulbous tight also

A bit OT and probably discussed elsewhere, but is there a short answer to why nothing before VGPS got a box set? I have all the 2011-ish deluxe editions so I'm pretty happy, but I always thought FTF and SE would have qualified for more than that.

17. TimeWarper

I noticed that most artists only put out album box sets after The Beatles ‘Sgt. Peppers’ box did. I mean the Stones rushed one out that year and have been doing them ever since. It’s not a coincidence. With The Kinks there was no way they could of rushed a box set with the level of care and detail that they do. So they started with Village Green and have continued from there. I’m sure if The Beatles did boxes for their previous albums (Rubber Soul and Revolver) everyone else would too.

18. Any links up yet for preorder in the US?

ODShowtime likes this.
  19. Timjosephuk

Timjosephuk Forum Resident

The Stones beat The Beatles though, doing Exile On Main Street and Some Girls in 2010/2011.

Shawn likes this.
  20. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

This 3-CD box commemorating the LAYLA album came out in 1990. The Beatles and Stones were late to the game:

[​IMG]

21. TimeWarper

I’m just saying that the trend of 50th anniversary editions grew from The Beatles not they started from The Beatles. I mean look at The Doors sets for example. Just before The Beatles a lot of artists weren’t doing them and once The Beatles did them everyone wanted to cash in.

FJFP, croquetlawns and Timjosephuk like this.
  22. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Another reason that these boxes started with VGPS is that it’s considered THEE classic Kinks magnum opus masterpiece in a way the preceding albums just aren’t, as good as they are (and personally I prefer FtF to VGPS), so it made sense to test the waters for a Kinks album box with what’s by critical consensus considered The Big One: exactly the same reason why Beatles boxes started with Pepper, which is to some extent analogous in how it sits in the Beatles canon with how VGPS sits in the Kinks. After the VGPS 50tb box was a critical and commercial success, boxes for the suceeding 2 albums have followed. I do wonder how long this 50th series will go on though as we hit less acclaimed records. Will there be a Preservation Act 1 box in 2023 for instance?

23. nfmboss666

nfmboss666 Forum Resident

I’m hoping for a Muswell Hillbillies set!

24. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

I wouldn't imagine so, but if they were to combine Acts 1 & 2 and include a live concert on CD and DVD/Blu-Ray it could almost work. If so they would possibly recycle things like Time Song from the VGPS set as well.

25. TimeandTempo

Technically, Acts 1 and 2 were released as a double CD titled "Preservation: A Play In Two Acts," so there is precedent there to release it as such. That said, the lack of live released from the Kinks makes me think maybe quality recordings just aren't there. I'd die for a set like this though, full of a booklet of pictures of the stage show. Just a great era for theatrics.