The Kinks - Lola vs Powerman & The Moneygoround 50th anniversary... predictions, suggestions, etc.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by slop101, Jan 3, 2020.

1. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I am hoping there is a lot of the instrumental backing tracks for the discarded follow up to Lola before they began work on Percy. I have no issues with them releasing unfinished songs. Plus if Percy is included (again!), then those instrumentals won't seem so off the grid. Personally, I think some of Dave and Mick's best playing as a unit is from this era.

Edit: And more full demos please (band or just Ray/Dave).

2. Jollero

Jollero Well-Known Member

Anyone remember when they officially announced "Village Green" and "Arthur" Box sets?
    Was it at the beginning of August 2018 and August 2019?

3. tumbledweeb

tumbledweeb Forum Resident

Yes for sure, Listen To Me sounds like a great lost kinks rocker!

Hep Alien and ajsmith like this.
  4. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Village Green was announced August 15, 2018 and released October 26.

Arthur was announced July 30, 2019 and released October 25.

5. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

It’s just a bit too derivative of ‘You Really Got Me’ for me but I admit it sounds like a ferocious performance.

‘She’s My Girl’ I remember being pretty strong but I need to dig it out to relisten. It has a somewhat poignant subject matter as it’s about Dave’s daughter he fathered as a teenager who he was prevented from seeing for what turned out to be 30 years.

Hep Alien, Jollero and tumbledweeb like this.
  6. mjlynott

mjlynott Forum Resident

I cheekily asked Dave on Twitter whether he thought 'She's My Girl ' would ever get released. He didnt reply. Better than a f*** off I suppose.

Hep Alien, Jollero and ajsmith like this.
  7. Jack

Jack Senior Member

He probably has no recollection of the song.

Jollero likes this.
  8. Ray29

Ray29 Forum Resident

I just broke out my green and red PRT label LP copy. Bought at a record fair in NYC about 25 years back. Says PYE on the back but also says Madrid. So perhaps it’s from Spain. I have no clue except that it sounds punchy and strong. But to be honest my Reprise CD bought in the 80’s sounds amazing too, even better than the Lola cuts that made it to the Anthology CD. Plus you get all the lyrics printed in the CD booklet.

FJFP, Jollero and cwitt1980 like this.
  9. Jollero

Jollero Well-Known Member

Interview with Dave Davies, from 48 minutes Dave talks about the Box set!
    Ray finished assembling the old demos a week ago!

Enjoy:

Mixcloud

10. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

What a fantastic interview! Not only was it wide ranging and covered lots of aspects of Dave's life and work he's rarely spoken at length about, he also hinted at at least two previosuly unknown songs appearing on the Lola box (something about 'The Tragedy of old age is loneliness' being a lyric in one?) AND they played COMPLETELY NEW 60s demos for Party Line (with completely different lyrics!) and a seemingly entirely unknown song with a chorus something like You Won't Come Back (?) .If this was The Beatles it would already have it's own 62 page thread!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
    cwitt1980, FJFP, factory44 and 15 others like this.
  11. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

Okay!! Skipped it the first time but I WILL be listening!!

ajsmith likes this.
  12. mjlynott

mjlynott Forum Resident

Wow, could this mean a Face To Face box set?

13. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

That's the question. What they will do after Lola box - go forward and do Muswell Hillbillies or go backwards to 1966-67? I would prefer the later

Jollero, croquetlawns and mjlynott like this.
  14. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

I think the Legacy Edition of Muswell did a pretty good job of rounding up everything from that period that still exists, as did the Something Else Deluxe. The Showbiz Legacy edition did a good job, too, but I can see them including both complete nights at Carnegie Hall at some point in the future.

There's supposedly a LOT of unheard stuff from Face To Face, so a 55th anniversary edition next year could be really nice, granted the material noted in the Hinman book still exists.

FJFP, factory44 and Jollero like this.
  15. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

Like what? Last time i heard, tons of tapes had been lost. That's why contents of 2011 deluxe is so skimpy

16. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

New stuff seems to be uncovered in time for every new Kinks reissue, so all bets are off.

There are known to be notably many unused titles associated with the Face To Face era (Sir Jasper, Everybody Wants To Be A Personality, Yes Man, Fallen Idol, Girl Who Goes To Discotheques and You Aren’t What You Were).. some were worked into other finished songs (Yes Man = Plastic Man) and others may not have been recorded or if they were may not have survived. But there is definitely the potential in theory for much more from the Face To Face era, and just cos the 2011 deluxe didn’t have this stuff doesn’t necessarily prove for sure it will never be found or released, given that more stuff seems to be uncovered for every iteration of previous albums (such as VGPS) that have been reissued several times. The appearance of a Party Line demo in this new interview is certainly encouraging in the direction that there is more unheard FtF era stuff out there. I feel that unlike VGPS, it’s a period that’s not been anywhere near as exhaustively researched as it could be yet.

17. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

I guess we can consider Party Line a Dave/Ray now.

Jollero and sharedon like this.
  18. mjlynott

mjlynott Forum Resident

Seem to recall Andrew Sandoval saying on a podcast that there wasnt much left in the vaults of this (Face to Face) period but these are Dave demos which havent been factored in (or not in the Konk archives.) He must still have "She's My Girl" then

19. mjlynott

mjlynott Forum Resident

Dave's demos have opened up some possibilities in my mind, You'd think Pete Quaife (who was reportedly writing his own stuff at the time in an Association vein) would have recorded some demo's. You never know

20. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

It would surprise me if these showed up. He passed away 10 years ago and left the music business in 1971.

21. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

It’ll take a bit of digging to find, but I recall stumbling upon some Pete Quaife demos online at some point, maybe linked off his official tribute site: don’t get too excited: they were recorded in the 00s (accompanied and I think sung by another guy I think) and were very basic demos. As I recall the songs may have had promise but it was hard to tell for sure as they were such undynamic recordings. I think I read they were a combo of older songs possibly dating back to Kinks times and more recent compositions. They were recorded to serve as a soundtrack to Quaife’s semi- autobiographical ‘Veritas’ novels. I’ll try and see if I can track that site down again...

EDIT: Found it! https://www.amazon.com/Veritas-Michael-Julin-Pete-Quaife/dp/B071G69ZQ1

Also on Spotify:

Veritas

Hmm playing this again it sounds better than I remember it being.... need to spend more time with this...

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  22. mjlynott

mjlynott Forum Resident

Thats very interesting thanks. Glad I posed the query. I imagine being the enthusiast that he was, he would have made some home demos back then but will probably no longer exist (if he did any)
    Ps the amazon link sent me to some kind of saw called Veritas

jethrowup and ajsmith like this.
  23. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Sorry, no idea how that happened. This should be the correct link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Veritas-Mi...itas+peter+quaife&qid=1596288684&sr=8-2-fkmr0

Hep Alien likes this.
  24. mjlynott

mjlynott Forum Resident

25. DayRavies

DayRavies Forum Resident

I always thought Dave's 1969 "Climb Your Wall" would be a good inclusion in a Lola package. It's close to the right era and has a similar feel/sound to his songs on Lola. I was surprised it was omitted from the 2 disc version so maybe we'll get that on the box.