The Kinks - Lola vs Powerman & The Moneygoround 50th anniversary... predictions, suggestions, etc.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by slop101, Jan 3, 2020.

1. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

Fallen Idol was recorded multiple times and Sir Jasper was recorded at least twice (once as Sir Jasper and once as Lilacs and Daffodils), so I think it's possible that recordings of those songs still exist somewhere. Ray mentions Fallen Idol a few times in X-Ray. I've always assumed that Girl Who Goes to Discoteques was either an early version of Little Miss Queen of Darkness or Big Black Smoke. I hadn't heard of You Aren't What You Were before!

2. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

He had a nice voice (I'd only previously heard him sing Lola--there was a local news report about him from the 80s or 90s and he played/sang Lola of all songs at the end)! It's a shame that he wasn't allowed to sing or write anything while in The Kinks (there's an interview with Dave from '68-'69 where he says that Pete was writing his own songs, and also teaching him astrology).

Never heard his solo stuff...was always kind of curious about it though. Thanks for sharing!

ajsmith likes this.
  3. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

Unless (hopefully) his brother or daughter has them!

4. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

There's also 1967's "My Street," which either became "Autumn Almanac" or was an entirely separate song. Whatever it was, the backwards ending part of "Autumn Almanac" ("bop bop bop bop baho!") is "My Street" backmasked.

EDIT: Oh, I guess that Dave kind of clarified this recently. The bridge in "Autumn Almanac" came from "My Street" and the ending is "My Street" backmasked.https://twitter.com/davedavieskinks/status/1254536991426908160

Hep Alien and Syscrusher like this.
  5. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

It should've been a single. Almost sounds like T.Rex or The Spiders From Mars (compare it to "All the Young Dudes," which came out a couple years later--not that Bowie/Mott the Hoople knew "Anytime" but the songs do sound similar to me). Maybe it wasn't released because it was too commercial or "of the times." According to Mick Avory, Ray never wanted to do anything that had too much commercial or mainstream appeal.

Hep Alien, FJFP and croquetlawns like this.
  6. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

I always thought it was if you took the line “this is my street and I’m never going to leave it” and played it backwards it would sound like “through the dew soaked hedge creeped a crawly caterpillar”. With some extra syllables thrown in.

jethrowup likes this.
  7. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

I'm still a little bit confused as to whether "My Street" was a separate track and they just lifted parts of it for "Autumn Almanac" or if it was a working title for "Autumn Almanac" maybe with some different lyrics in parts (like how "Sand on My Shoes" became "Tin Soldier Man").

Syscrusher likes this.
  8. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

As I understand it originally there was just a song called My Street. They must’ve recorded it because when they played it backwards they got the idea for the melody to Autumn Almanac.
    And ultimately they combined the two songs with part of My Street ending up as the bridge section to Autumn Almanac.

jethrowup and ajsmith like this.
  9. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

‘You Aren’t What You Were’ is only known of as it was mentioned by Ray in a 1966 interview as a song he was writing. Unlike the other titles in my list, there’s no record of it making it to recording with The Kinks, at least under that title. Maybe it was just a Ray home demo that never made it that far. Or maybe it became another song.

Hep Alien and jethrowup like this.
  10. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

Okay, that's what I thought too but I wasn't sure. So the bridge and the reversed ending of Autumn Almanac come from My Street.

Syscrusher likes this.
  11. mjlynott

mjlynott Forum Resident

Has anyone seen or been able to access this? Dave Emlen has created a link to an excerpt from a 1968 promo film for Lincoln County

News & Rumors

12. mjlynott

mjlynott Forum Resident

When I open the link it says it is private

13. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

Here's the interview with Pete Quaife from 1988. Their information seems to be off a bit (they say Quaife played in The Kinks for 13 years and that, in 1988, he had been out of the band for 15 years) but at the end he performs "Lola" with the host/interviewer. Unfortunately, the followup segment "Cat caterers" is not included.

14. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

Same.

15. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

It was me that told Dave about this clip. Sadly it was only up for around 48 hours befopre the uploader took it down (and I didn't save it sorry!)

I started a thread for the footage here: Dave Davies ‘Lincoln County’ 1968 music video (partial)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
    Hep Alien and jethrowup like this.
  16. mjlynott

mjlynott Forum Resident

As ever, thanks for the info..What a shame. I'm sure (if we all hang in there) it will be available to enjoy on the 100th anniversary Village Green super deluxe

jethrowup likes this.
  17. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

FWIW, it was black and white, and featured Dave in his later leather look strolling through the countryside, the town and train tracks. There was some use of jump cut still images.

There's actually quite a lot of VGPS associated era footage known of now.. there's the 2 Wonderboy clips, two contemporary Days clips, this Lincoln County footage, the Starstruck video and the Once More With Felix stuff. Would make a nice DVD EP. I remember when it was just the Pathe Wonderboy and the Starstuck video and you thought that's all there'd ever be!

18. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

It always amazes me how things keep turning up after all these years!

jethrowup and ajsmith like this.
  19. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

I'm not sure which of the songs in the Veritas collection he sings, since it's a collab with a guy called Michael Julin.. I think I hear two different vocalists on the album though, it'd be good to work out who sang what. Pete's brother is still at large on social media, I wonder if he could confirm.

jethrowup likes this.
  20. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

If it wasn't for this goddamned pandemic I would already have a UK copy, but they are scarce on this side of the Atlantic. Sounds like I should hold onto my US Artisan cut. Who wants to pay $100 for a record with a known flaw? Glad to know it.

Echoes Myron and Man at C&A like this.
  21. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It might be worth going for a second UK pressing from 1972. The reviews on Discogs are outstanding.
    The Kinks - Part 1 Lola Versus Powerman And The Moneygoround
    The Kinks - Part 1 Lola Versus Powerman And The Moneygoround / User Reviews

Last edited: Aug 25, 2020
  22. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

WOW even the mid-70's Reprise reissues are going for a ton these days. I have one of those in great shape; the cover is actually white! May need to unload that while it's hot. There aren't even any copies for sale. And my first US press only has two listings on Discogs, both around $60 and neither is in the US. This is a hot title right now apparently.

Man at C&A and croquetlawns like this.
  23. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

Wow! This thread got interesting since I was last here. Honestly, I’d be down for just a big rarities dump instead of a 50th Lola, but hopefully there’s something good here. I’d like a box the same size as Arthur please, and a couple less 45s to bring down the price. I’d guess they’d only have Lola + Apeman anyway... and it seems the master is missing for the Apeman 45(?)

jethrowup, mjlynott and croquetlawns like this.
  24. mjlynott

mjlynott Forum Resident

I'd love to see the Tv show he did in Germany that he mentions in his book, lip synching Hold My Hand and walking around with a girl while three sheets to the wind

ajsmith and croquetlawns like this.
  25. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

I think there's some missing Arthur-era footage too, like the band miming to "Drivin'" or "Shangri-La." Of course, there's the mostly missing "Shangri-La" animated video too.

croquetlawns likes this.