The Kinks - Lola vs Powerman & The Moneygoround 50th anniversary... predictions, suggestions, etc.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by slop101, Jan 3, 2020.

1. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Mostly missing? I didn’t know that any of it was known to exist! Any details?

croquetlawns, jethrowup and Jollero like this.
  2. Jollero

Jollero Well-Known Member

Hi colleagues,
    what do you think about preparing some inventory together.
    I mean a list of all the Kinks videos from each year.
    It is known to be a mine of knowledge in Doug Hinman's "All Day And All Of The Night".
    But this is not available online.

This page could serve as an example:
    Live Nirvana | Concert Chronology

So a list, sets divided into years, existing audio / video recordings,
    Information about recordings that we know exist but are unpublished. Additionally, screenshots from video / photos from concerts.
    In addition, a subpage from the forum or with updates, so that the willingness does not decrease and the commitment increases.

If they all got involved, I'm sure.
    We would find many video and audio recordings.

Best Regards

3. jethrowup

jethrowup Forum Resident

Weren't there some stills or something from the unreleased/lost animated Shangri-La promo that were retooled into a music video last year or the year before? I think the image used as the album art for this fan comp came from the Shangri-La animated video: Albums That Should Exist: The Kinks – Where Was Spring? - Various Songs (1969)

EDIT: Whelp...nevermind...seems it was for Where Did My Spring Go? and you made a post about this already: Kinks 'Where Did The Spring Go?' Klaus Voormann animation reconstruction

My mistake!

Hep Alien likes this.
  4. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Great idea, and I’d love to be involved.

Man at C&A likes this.
  5. tstrapac

tstrapac Forum Resident

Help me out experts. I want to buy a book to learn more about 1967-1970 Kinks. Mostly interested in song/album/studio information.

What book should I get?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
  6. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

My goodness, the US Artisan cuts do sound really good! I can't imagine what a nice UK pressing would sound like.

7. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

There is only 1 major book, but it covers their whole career. But the book is out of print and very pricey. It also has not been updated since the early 2000s, so there is a good amount of material that has come to light since then:

The Kinks: All Day and All of the Night: Day by Day Concerts, Recordings, and Broadcasts, 1961-1996
    https://www.amazon.com/Kinks-Concer...X/ref=tmm_pap_title_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=
    https://www.amazon.com/Kinks-Doug-Hinman/dp/3283005028

Various other books are more biographical in nature. Some good, some not so good, depending on the author.

8. tstrapac

tstrapac Forum Resident

Thank you! Now to find a decently priced copy!

9. mjlynott

mjlynott Forum Resident

Andy Miller's book on the Village Green Preservation Society also covers most of this period. it does not focus completely on the album. a fantastic read and cheap

Arnold Grove and tstrapac like this.
  10. tstrapac

tstrapac Forum Resident

Thank you, I ordered a copy. I have heard mixed things about the 33 1/3rd series. Is this volume and standout?

mjlynott likes this.
  11. mjlynott

mjlynott Forum Resident

This was one of the first published and set a high standard. None of the others (bar Trout Mask Replica) came close

tstrapac likes this.
  12. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

It is easily one of the best books in the whole 33 1/3 series.

tstrapac likes this.
  13. mjlynott

mjlynott Forum Resident

off topic again I know, but I have been having a bit of a daydream about what a Super deluxe Something Else might look like, buoyed on by the appearance of Dave Demo's and lost promo films.

The requisite amount of discs for these super deluxes seems to be five so I have had a brief go at compiling it.

Disc 1 - Mono album with mono bonus tracks singles etc,
    Disc 2 - Stereo album - with stereo bonus tracks such as Act Nice & Gentle and Mr Pleasant (were these Sandoval remixes or vintage?)
    Disc 3 - A full or partial album remix, session excerpts, very much like Disc 3 of the village green sd. There is potential for this as quite a few tracks from this album appeared remixed on the Anthology.
    Disc 4 - Live at Kelvin Hall (stereo and mono) Heard somewhere that Andrew Sandoval remastered this and has yet to see release. It is the same year after all and if they added Dave's album to Arthur, what's stopping this happening?
    Disc 5 - BBC sessions - havent counted but there are possibly enough sessions to fill a disc.
    I could stretch to a sixth disc if we compile all the alternate versions/mixes of Afternoon Tea and Lazy Old Sun.

Anyone else want to have a go? or try Face to Face?

factory44, ajsmith, Jollero and 5 others like this.
  14. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Does Ray have the Something Else multis? I love the mono LP, dislike the stereo. It would be great to have a stereo remix that is as coherent as the mono. And with better SQ...

Jollero and mjlynott like this.
  15. DayRavies

DayRavies Forum Resident

Not only did a person involved with the Deluxe Edition campaign confirm that Live at Kelvin Hall had been remastered in preparation for a Deluxe Edition release (which never happened) but also that it was the only PYE-era Kinks albums in which all the multi-track masters still exist and therefore the only album of that era that could be totally remixed and it was suggested that a complete remix of the whole album had either been completed or was ready to be done.

The resulting Deluxe Edition would have had remastered stereo and mono on disc one and disc two would have been the stereo remix. Obviously it never happened, but a Something Else super deluxe would indeed be a great place to include all of that material.

16. croquetlawns

croquetlawns Forum Resident

Things like this always amaze me - the work and investment has already happened, but for some reason it gets cancelled!

Jollero likes this.
  17. stiofan

stiofan Forum Resident

I think that the technical term is "postponed". ;-)

croquetlawns and Jollero like this.
  18. Jollero

Somehow later this year will be the announcement of Box.
    Compared to the last two Box Sets.
    Lola will be somewhere in November or December.

Maybe it's on purpose or maybe it's because of Covid ...

19. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

I feel like if it were to come out this year, we’d have heard something by now. They released VGPS and Arthur both at the end of October, with an announcement surfacing in mid July. Obviously, I’d love to be proven wrong...

croquetlawns likes this.
  20. Braincapers

Braincapers Forum Resident

well some investments have been made but manufacturing, distribution and marketing would cost a lot too. If they decided it wouldn’t make money why throw good money after bad? Although they could release digital only copies I guess

croquetlawns likes this.
  21. Jollero

The 50th anniversary is this year, and it seems pointless to release a Box next year.
    Maybe they will inform about it tomorrow or Monday 14 September ...
    and will release in November, everything is still possible.

Meanwhile, I'm listening to Dave Davies Live Bottom RSD 2020 and Kronikles re-releases.
    The 1997 concert is great.

Hep Alien likes this.
  22. crosscatch

crosscatch Forum Resident

Postponed until cancellation?
    I missed the anniversary SE and will be looking out for one. I'm waiting for Lola and can barely contain myself.

23. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

24. parkgrover

parkgrover Forum Resident

Woohoo!

Jollero likes this.
  25. Justin Brooks

Justin Brooks Forum Resident

well, i guess it got removed but is coming after all!

Jollero likes this.