The Kinks Mono or Stereo

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Maidenpriest, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I haven't compared the stereo and mono Phenominal Cat but I feel the same way about Do You Remember Walter.
    Very much agree about the singles. Even though I may (slightly) prefer Something Else in stereo, the mono Waterloo Sunset rules.

Maidenpriest and The Ole' Rocker like this.
  2. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Absolutely. Dave’s guitar sounds fantastic.

Mazzy, Maidenpriest and Adam9 like this.
  3. ShockControl

ShockControl Bon Vivant and Raconteur!

I had known Face to Face for decades only in mono, until my wife got the deluxe CD. I was amazed at how low in the mix the backing/harmony vocals were placed for most of the stereo tunes. It's hard enough to get decent stereo out of a three- or four-track master to begin with, so the logic of burying one of those few tracks is mind-boggling.

TimeWarper and Adam9 like this.
  4. ShockControl

Completely agree.

5. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Arthur... the first album where I think the stereo mix is better. Everything before ... mono.

6. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

MONO

Darryl

7. ShockControl

I generally agree with you, although I need to spend more time with Village Green in mono. The first time I heard it, I thought it sounded very cluttered. I'll give it another shot.

Maidenpriest likes this.
  8. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Well, come to think of it, I like the stereo of Village...a lot as well, though these were not what you'd call audiophile recordings at all. I vacillate on records like this. Arthur...sounded messed up and folded to me in mono. I don't have a mono copy anymore.

Adam9 likes this.
  9. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :) Thread Starter

Far from Audiophile, I was shocked when I first heard The Kinks all those years ago compared to The Beatles at how much better The Beatles recordings sounded but I got over that and just enjoyed the music !!

10. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

I think the stereo mix of Village Green suits the album better. Although the opening title track sounds like crap.

Mazzy and Maidenpriest like this.
  11. The Ole' Rocker

The Ole' Rocker Forum Resident

Regarding the stereo mix of The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society; I think it suits a lot of the material well, but it sounds very haphazard and sloppy, especially in the panning of the elements and editing. The mono mix sounds more cohesive and impactful. Something Else had a better stereo mix. Arhur... is the only Kinks album that I enjoy hearing more in stereo than mono; because the mono is far more distorted than the stereo.

12. I can't in good conscience vote, because I like their stereo mixes fine from 67-69, but for 64-66 I would probably pick mono.

McLover likes this.
  13. This is basically my take as well. Something Else is probably the hardest for me to pick a favorite as both mono and stereo mixes are o.k. And yes, Face To Face is an abomination in stereo!

Man at C&A and Adam9 like this.
  14. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :) Thread Starter

Don't worry it was a mistake and too broad a question, the albums need to be judged on an album by album biases which format is better etc

McLover and Pete Puma like this.
  15. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Arthur in stereo, everything before in mono. However, stereo of Kinks, Something Else and Village Green are interesting alternate versions.

Man at C&A, Rickchick and abzach like this.
  16. lee59

lee59 Member Envy

Stereo for everything from Face To Face on.

17. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

I voted mono but I have to say that 60's stereo generally is underrated.

Man at C&A and tages like this.
  18. Musicman1963

Musicman1963 Forum Resident

Surely all day and all of the night. ☺️

19. }{eywood

}{eywood Forum Resident

Well I have to say, and this goes for ALL recordings by anyone, that I want them in stereo. Mono is a terrible way to listen to anything other than a single voice/instrument combo, and was a transitional technological period. The day stereo was invented all mono recordings should have been recalled and the masters burned, never to be heard again. Last I checked the majority of us have two ears, so one channel is doing them a disservice

20. The Ole' Rocker

Stereo technology is better in regards to capturing higher quality of sound, but the debate is not solely on the merits of both technologies - but rather which mixes were better executed in either mono or stereo.

21. Mono then Arthur in Stereo and ever after....

Rickchick likes this.
  22. The Ole' Rocker

Personally, I like the stereo Something Else. The different elements that are emphasized and treated in the stereo sound spectrum give the material a more eclectic and intimate feeling than the mono mix. Also, there are additional bits of music in the stereo mix; such as the opening few bars in “Tin Soldier Man” and the extra organ in “Situation Vacant”. Regardless, the album itself is great regardless of configuration.

Hillbilley and Man at C&A like this.
  23. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

For me:

The Kinks - mono
    Kinda Kinks - was mono only
    The Kink Kontroversy - was mono only
    Face To Face - mono
    Something Else - either is fine, but the I'd give the edge to the mono
    Village Green - either
    Arthur - stereo

caravan70, McLover, Pete Puma and 3 others like this.
  24. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Great mono collection

[​IMG]

25. Rickchick

Rickchick Forum Resident

Exactly!