The Kinks Mono or Stereo

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Maidenpriest, Jun 28, 2018.

1. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

Completely depends on the album. I like the first 4 in mono but after that I go for the stereo versions although the mono Something Else & VGPS are just fine and I do listen to them occasionally.

lee59 likes this.
  2. }{eywood

}{eywood Forum Resident

I'm sorry. I thought the original post asked me which I preferred. I answered, and gave the reason. There is no debate

lee59 and The Ole' Rocker like this.
  3. Alexlotl

Alexlotl Forum Resident

I have two ears, and when I go to a concert I don’t hear the drums solely through my left ear and the guitar solely through my right. Early stereo (particularly for UK acts) was often an abomination, particularly if you’re a headphone listener.

Add to that the fact that early stereo mixes for important artists like The Beatles were often done without artistic oversight, and subsequently missing elements or having poor mixes with key elements buried, and this kind of absolutism just gets you a worse listening experience.

Good Stereo Mix > Good Mono Mix >>>>> Bad Stereo Mix > Bad Mono Mix.

4. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

I also dont like single speaker sounds that often, and I concur that there are many UK examples indeed.
    Not to mention fake stereo.

McLover and lee59 like this.
  5. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

lee59 and All Down The Line like this.
  6. TimeWarper

TimeWarper A Well Respected Man

Everything from 1964-1968 (mono)
    1969 and after (stereo)

Village Green is my favourite album of all time, but I cannot listen to the stereo mix for the life of me.

7. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Have you heard the remixes in disc 3 of the recent Deluxe edition? Not the whole album, but very close, in a very good stereo.

That said, the mono is still the definitive version.

lee59 and The Ole' Rocker like this.
  8. TimeWarper

Yes I have actually, when I want to listen to these tracks separately, I listen to the remix. I love the extended endings on many of the songs and the end note of Picture Book without all its reverb just sounds so odd. Pity, not all of the tracks were remixed and some were done without vocals. Some also had some out of sync instruments (particularly the title track). Cool to get remixes of the unreleased stuff of the time.

9. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

Up until VGPS, I prefer everything in mono. VGPS is a draw for me - I probably listen to the stereo more often, but both versions are excellent. However, up through and including VGPS, all of the singles are preferable in mono. ("Days" in its original stereo mix is a mess; thankfully it was finally mixed properly for stereo on the Anthology 1964-1971 box!)

After that, it's stereo all the way, including the singles.

10. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

The answer is, it depends. I prefer VGPS and Arthur in stereo, but prefer most of the other albums from the 60s in mono.

Man at C&A and lee59 like this.
  11. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

I think you meant to say:

Mono Kinks -- all day and all of the night.

[​IMG]

Hombre and lee59 like this.
  12. Buddybud

Buddybud Paisley DayGlo Freak!

The Kinks (aka Black Album) is a mono only compilation release of their singles from 1970 on pye. Great if you can find it. Even pye thought mono was preferable for their early releases! ;)

[​IMG]

13. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Starting with Something Else on, stereo. Before that mono although with some of the stereo remixes of the Face to Face album you can put together a half way decent stereo version.

lee59 likes this.
  14. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Apart from some weird vocal and harmonica panning, and YRGM in fake stereo (lots of reverb in one channel) I like the debut album in Stereo, it really sounds like you're in the studio listening to them.

For the rest it's a song by song basis. This is all UK discography, unlike The Fabs and The Stones I have no idea about the U.S. albums for the Kinks.

[​IMG]

A well respected man likes this.
  15. TimeWarper

I love when in the middle of Long Tall Shorty, the instruments and the vocals swap channels for no reason.

goodiesguy likes this.
  16. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

I love Arthur in mono. The stereo is okay but doesn't hold together as well as the mono. Am I really the only one?

[​IMG]

17. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

I agree. I've always defended the stereo Kinks. I don't undestand why Face to Face and Something Else have such inferior stereo mixes to these.

This thread might help ;)

The Kinks' American Albums

goodiesguy and All Down The Line like this.
  18. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Ray Davies prefers them in mono.
    This is one band where there is a clear winner in mono.
    Arguably Village Green is where this consensus breaks down. Personally I prefer all in mono and the AAA boxset of vinyl is one of my most prized musical items.

McLover, Man at C&A and jgrillo like this.
  19. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Debut ~ Face To Face - mono
    Something Else and later - stereo

jgrillo likes this.
  20. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

Mine is 01779
    My Blue one is Collection 2 is 08149
    Nice collections
    I was just listening to

dsdu likes this.
  21. Hombre

Hombre Forum Resident

Face To Face: mono
    Something Else: mono
    The Village Green Preservation Society: mono
    Arthur: stereo

dsdu likes this.
  22. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Funny, I just listened to those two boxes last night. I also enjoy the Kinks in Mono box, although for the life of me I can't understand why they didn't include Mr. Pleasant.
    [​IMG]

All Down The Line and jerrygene like this.
  23. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

I bought this
    (2019 Deluxe 2CD Mediabook). UK Import Double CD, Extra tracks, Deluxe Edition, B-sides included
    at Bullmoose.
    Kinks - Arthur Or The Decline & Fall Of The British Empire
    [​IMG]

Hombre and All Down The Line like this.
  24. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Mono, up until Arthur, which has some songs work better in mono, and some song better in stereo. After that, all in Stereo.

Tropehjelm likes this.
  25. jerrygene

jerrygene Forum Resident

It was released as a single in the US and mainland Europe but not in the UK. It was released in the UK six months later as the B-side to "Autumn Almanac". The song is now available as a bonus track to their album Face to Face, and an alternate version was also released as a bonus track on the 2011 deluxe reissue of Something Else by the Kinks.

All Down The Line likes this.