The KLF: Album-by-single-by-album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bunglejerry, Aug 24, 2017.

1. bunglejerry

bunglejerry Forum Resident Thread Starter

Bolero likes this.
  2. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

3. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

hutlock likes this.
  4. MGSeveral

MGSeveral Augm

ditto

hutlock likes this.
  5. AaronReturn2004

AaronReturn2004 Well-Known Member

This was a fairly interesting read for me, enjoyed your thoughts @bunglejerry and @Crumpled Enchanter! However, a few technical things are unexplained:

A user was nice enough to get a copy of the regular A:WTIL 12" vinyl just so Bunglejerry could identify which part got edited out from "Uncensored", but said user mentioned it. A Bunglejerry-proof hint was also here:
    If you're still waiting for a chance, here it is (this exact version is also on the Dance Pool CD single).

Again, I'm pretty sure "It's Grim Up North (Part 1 - Radio Edit)" is the same as the one labelled "Radio Edit" on the CD single.
    But it never happened. Maybe @bunglejerry abandoned this cause he remembered the original plans for this to be a KLF Communications discography?

bunglejerry likes this.
  6. bunglejerry

Hi thanks for your interest in this mouldy ol' thread!

The truth of the matter is that I fell sick immediately as I was due to write that post-KLF roundup, and when I was better the moment had sort of passed. I took it in a superstitious way to be a "que sera sera" moment indicating I wasn't meant to finish it.

Which is, of course, a load of nonsense. We could have had nice discussion about ***K the Millenium and the Transit Kings and whatever else, but I just got intimidated by the prospect. It was only meant to be a round-up in any case.

Oh, and I have since heard both sides of the IGUN 7", and the a-side is different from the CD radio edit, but only marginally so. At one point I'd thought of spinning this material into an e-book so I did some further research, but that moment has passed as well.

I think.

tin ears and c-eling like this.
  7. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

“It’s Grim Up North” has skyrocketed to the #1 spot on my personal KLF list. Love that track and it still packs a wallop in a club on a big system.

Just my two (million) cents of course.

Maurice and bunglejerry like this.
  8. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

I prefer the Pete Wylie version of It’s Grim Up North

bunglejerry and hutlock like this.
  9. AaronReturn2004

Nice. I understand correctly that you were going to write it like the "pre-KLF roundup" introduction and only talk about it in general, but hey at least this thread got 99% finished.

I stumbled across this thread on Google and found page 9, with @Crumpled Enchanter's "Better White Room" attracting me until I had a further look.

Also, did you get around to hearing the UK/KLF Communications 12" mix of America:WTIL (the 7:40 one)?

10. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

hutlock likes this.
  11. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

can you/would you do a similar thread for The Orb ? at least their 90s discography (up to Orblivion) ?

It would really , really KICK ASS.

kendo, acetboy, dirkster and 2 others like this.
  12. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

That would be very helpful. I’ll even say “pretty please”?

proedros and bunglejerry like this.
  13. AaronReturn2004

I came up with an track-list for an "best of KLF' compilation...

1. All You Need Is Love (commercially-released version) - 5:02

2. The Queen And I - 4:44

3. Whitney Joins The JAMs - 7:06

4. Down Town (7” Edit) - 4:00

5. Doctorin’ The Tardis (Radio Edit) - 3:35

6. Burn The Bastards (JAMs Have A Party / LP Edit) - 4:08

7. What Time Is Love? (Pure Trance Original) - 7:05

8. Kylie Said To Jason (feat. Maxine Harvey) - 4:01

9. What Time Is Love? (Live At Trancentral - 7” Radio Edit) (feat. The Children of The Revolution) - 3:52

10. 3 A.M. Eternal (Live At The S.S.L - Radio Edit) (feat. The Children of The Revolution) - 3:36

11. Last Train To Trancentral (Live From The Lost Continent - Radio Edit) (feat. The Children of The Revolution) - 3:41

12. It’s Grim Up North (Radio Edit) - 4:04

13. Justified and Ancient (Stand By The JAMs) (feat. Tammy Wynette) - 3:39

14. America: What Time Is Love? (Radio Edit) (feat. The Children of The Revolution) - 3:30

15. 3 A.M. Eternal (“Christmas Top Of The Pops”) (feat. Extereme Noise Terror) - 2:44
    Was thinking about removing Down Town, maybe edit WTIL Pure Trance and possibly have a new edit of "It's Grim Up North" (radio edit with full city list). Oh, and to maybe have the 12" "Uncensored" version (or the UK 12" mix) of America:WTIL

14. bunglejerry

But no 3 a.m. Pure Trance? Or anything from Chill Out?

I think it's pretty much an impossible task tbh. I've tried a few times and never been quite pleased with the results. For example, do you include JAMS material since it's an important part of the story? Or do you skip it since the quality is low compared to the later releases? How many versions of LTTT, 3am and WTIL do you include?

Still, good effort. As good as any, I'd say.

15. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

Here's a compilation I put together a few years ago...

January: What Time Is Love?
    Justified And Ancient (Tammy Mix)
    Last Train To Trancentral (Benio Over And Out)
    It's Grim Up North (Club Mix)
    Born Free
    3 A.M. Eternal (Live at the S.S.L.)
    Last Train To Trancentral (Remix)
    Gary Glitter Joins The JAMs
    What Time Is Love? (LP Mix / Monster Attack Mix)
    3 A.M. Eternal (Blue Danube Orbital)
    Silent Night
    **** The Millennium

16. AaronReturn2004

I was trying to make it causal AF.
    JAMS material is only here because the ABBA sampling is an well-known part of their history. KSTJ is also here cause it also gets regular mentions in history books, and 3AM Extreme Noise Terror is here because of the iconic Brits Award performance.
    If I were to include 3 AM Pure Trance it would be the radio edit from the White Room soundtrack.
    LTTT Pure Trance and LP mixes on the other hand, aren't really well-known as the Stadium House version, and no content from Chill Out cause it works best as a 44-minute piece and we don't know which piece is the "hit" from the album. "Madrugada Eterna" or "LTTT" (Pure Trance A-Side)?

bunglejerry likes this.
  17. AaronReturn2004

Is it just me or do I recall you saying something like "Glenn Hughes is only a bit-player in this version, along with around 100 other elements" here, but it changed?

18. bunglejerry

Well I haven't changed anything. Afaik you can't go back and change older posts, so I have no idea.

19. Th12

Th12 New Member

The right translation of Madrugada eterna is eternal dawn and it's in spanish , don't forget the movie the white room was filmed in sierra nevada a part from the region of granada southspain my parents hometown.

Bolero likes this.
  20. bunglejerry

Right you are on the translation. That's an important distinction - the album is more focused on dawn than on sunset. Sorry I made that mistake. But it looks like it's the same in both languages, so I wasn't completely off the mark in calling it Portuguese...

But of course you're right again. The Spain connection is much more logical, given that ME is from the movie, even if the rest of Chill Out isn't.

Thanks for the correction!

Th12 likes this.
  21. catteste

catteste Mental Radio Transmission

I was told that Madrugada eterna was a phrase Spanish people use to describe the hours before dawn when they've been out partying. So the Spanish equivalent of 3AM Eternal.

Bolero and Th12 like this.
  22. AaronReturn2004

23. AaronReturn2004

What if Who Killed The JAMs tells a story? One about the JAMs buying a record store's entire stock of 1987, and driving to the middle of nowhere while talking about their history to burn them as a "all things come to a end" party?

bunglejerry likes this.
  24. AaronReturn2004

The Candystore is about them trying to locate 1987, The Candyman is about them going to the counter to buy them, Diaster Fund Collection is about them getting into the car, King Boy's Dream IDK, The Porpoise Song is about how the JAMs came to be (Cauty told him about the idea), Prestwich Prophet’s Grin is about "what we've done so far", and Burn The Bastards is them burning the records but it's not a good thing to celebrate.

25. AaronReturn2004

I'm pretty sure the US "History" had the instrumental version, judging from the length. Have you ever obtained it in person?