The KLF re-emerge for 2021

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by TheLazenby, Jan 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam Thread Starter

In what I think is a hell of a start to the year.... the Justified Ancients have seemingly been resurrected. The KLF not only launched their official YouTube channel, they've started officially re-releasing their music.

Their channel can be found here:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbsEHtpoQxyWVibIPerXhug

They've also teased a five album retrospective, most likely called "Sample City Thru Trancentral" - part one (of two) of the volume 'Solid State Logik' is now available on streaming services.
    Solid State Logik 1

Whether this will lead to a new album (the first fully authorized disc of new material since 1991), who knows. But it's nice to see that the KLF now exist again, in some form.

2. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

All aboard!

3. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

Excellent.

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  4. AudioPhil

AudioPhil Forum Resident

One day in to 2021 and year made :D

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  5. idledreamer

idledreamer Still idle

They're justified, and they're ancient... and they drive an ice cream van. :righton:

6. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

They even included modern mastering, how nice of them :D

7. johnasimmons

johnasimmons Forum Resident

It sounds good on Spotify :)

8. DML71

DML71 Forum Resident

Doctorin’ The Tardis. That’s a step back in time. Haven’t heard that since the 90s.

Lonevej and Front 242 Addict like this.
  9. Yannick

Yannick Forum Resident

Would you believe the children still cry "Make mine a 99"?

10. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

This time they'll burn two million pounds. Inflation.

Peter K, ThunderDan and danomar like this.
  11. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

12. Nimby

Nimby Rotten hound of the burnie crew

This time around I hope Kylie Said To Jason is a massive hit single.

13. Zoo Station

Zoo Station Senior Member

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021
    acetboy, Maurice, Nimby and 2 others like this.
  14. Sis+erRay

Sis+erRay Forum Resident

I just realised that the release is streaming-only, couldn't find a download option anywhere. Makes me feel like it's supposed to vanish so everything will be taken down again at some point...

15. JohnQVD

JohnQVD bought too many records this week

It’s not on Qobuz as of now, so I guess that will be my Spotify test album when my streamer shows up tomorrow. Qobuz will be the Kraftwerk remixes.

16. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

ChristopherTeuma likes this.
  17. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

I really only know these folks from “3 AM Eternal” which was one of the most annoying songs ever, and that how-to document that found its way online. Is there anything else worth checking out?

18. JohnQVD

JohnQVD bought too many records this week

I think that depends largely on whether or not you find their schtick amusing. If not, I would think their music would be annoying. I think it’s funny, but I can see how other people wouldn’t.

sparkmeister likes this.
  19. So if I'm reading that image right, this is Volume 5 of the 5 non-consecutive albums.
    So "non-consecutive" in the release of the ordered Volumes.

Since this is the videos, that feels kinda like "bonus DVD" territory, knowing how aware these guys are of the medium they're using. Or I guess if I'm saying "bonus DVD" I mean the history of the medium they're using.

So maybe we can extrapolate for, well "non-consecutive" sort of implies "in a scrambled order", but if they just go backwards, that's hilarious enough. To not know with each release if you're gonna follow that order.

So many options of things to focus on. Let's hope 'Chill Out' gets a viewing. Or even stuff like this deconstructive Pet Shop Boys remix.

20. MartyGabriel

MartyGabriel Jaded Realist.

There's a mindset to go with it. You have to like "so bad it's good" A LOT and understand that they deliberately released a whole lot of naff, shamelessly derivative stuff to disorient you and then slammed with something so out that you couldn't help but be impressed. Which 3AM Eternal do you mean? There's what, six or seven versions at least?

They beat us over the head with the JAMs which was deliberately rough, and then out of nowhere we got What Time Is Love and all its versions, then 3AM Eternal, and then they completely suckerpunched us with what may be the greatest record of the past 50 years, Stand by the Jams. In all my years of music loving I've never seen another record that got my record collector buddy to knock on my door at 4 o'clock in the morning to tell me, you're just not going to believe this, you gotta hear this, and then played it and proceeded to blow my head off. There's just nothing like it. A record that has Jimi Hendrix, Tammy Wynette, steel guitars, tribal drummers, a rap, and a slamming beat all crammed into 4 minutes. It's as bonkers as it sounds.

Also they have a history of announcing stuff and when it does come out, it's so clandestine that you'll never find a copy so watch out, and they love to disguise themselves.

That Pet Shop Boys remix is something else too -- there's a story to go with it that you might be missing. Visitors from another planet land on Earth and find a radio playing Pet Shop Boys. They think "this is what this civilization is made of? What a waste." So they blow Earth up to make way for the hyperspace bypass. And that's me oversimplifying it.

Stupid useless trivia -- Jimmy's wife is Alannah Currie from Thompson Twins, who upholsters furniture along with making installations last I heard.

21. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam Thread Starter

Not to mention, they made "Chill Out" - hands down not only one of the best albums of the 1990's, but one of the greatest ambient albums, ever.

Pynchjan, sully12, McCool71 and 5 others like this.
  22. motionoftheocean

I can't really speak to how many versions there are but there was one in particular that played incessantly on music television and at virtually every party I attended around age 12. The video had a guy pressing buttons on a massive primitive cell phone in time with the annoying two note keyboard pattern that's used in the song. Even when I was 12 it struck me as bordering on parody (whether intentionally or otherwise): dudes in raincoats doing goofy rock guitar posturing, rap dude in the back of a cover "rapping" into a walkie-talkie or whatever it was...yeah, pretty cringey stuff.

citizensmurf likes this.
  23. Zoo Station

Zoo Station Senior Member

You have a good memory

p147, black sheriff and Maurice like this.
  24. motionoftheocean

lol I only saw it about 10,000 times

Craig likes this.
  25. MartyGabriel

MartyGabriel Jaded Realist.

Ah yes, the SSL version with Ricardo da Force. I still like that version but it was something else when you tuned into the award show and suddenly Extreme Noise Terror were gargling battery acid and screaming "3AM!! UH-HUH!! UH-HUH!!" and Bill was in a kilt on a crutch in the process of biting the hand that fed them -- and then the next day they completely deleted their catalog for 29 years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.