The Last Kingdom (New BBC America Series)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by neo123, Oct 10, 2015.

1. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I would agree that as the series goes on, it drops in quality. Too much of he's with this woman, then this one, etc. I still enjoyed it though.

2. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Really enjoying series two...

3. neo123

neo123 Senior Member Thread Starter

It stinks BBC America isn't showing it in the US.

Supposedly, later this year, Netflix will stream the episodes. But, I don't subscribe to Netflix.

GodShifter likes this.
  4. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I'm enjoying season 2. It's not top tier TV but it's lots of fun & entertaining. That's enough for me.

5. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Uh, how do I watch season 2 being a dirty American ? :/

6. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

I'd say it would probably involve downloading of some sort.

7. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Hopefully, it will appear on Netflix streaming (judging on the fact that eventually they did offer the first season for viewing). In the interim, you might take a bath every six months, whether you need it or not.:)

smilin ed and GodShifter like this.
  8. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

DVD and Blu-ray of the second season can be pre-ordered.

9. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

[​IMG]

GodShifter likes this.
  10. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Season 3 streaming on Netflix - November 19th! :edthumbs:

GeetarFreek, MC Rag and GodShifter like this.
  11. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Cool! I’ve been waiting on this.

Cliff likes this.
  12. GeetarFreek

GeetarFreek Forum Resident

I had no idea there was going to be a season 3 ! I’m excited!

Not as good as Vikings but still good.

13. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I hope it ends up on the BBC like the first two, otherwise I won't be watching...

14. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Funny thing is I’d get plot points with this and “Vikings” confused. I quit watching “Vikings” after the death of Ragnar, but have kept watching this. Unfortunately, however, due to the long lag between the seasons of this series (over a year) I could barely remember what happened in the previous season(s). It made for some serious continuity issues and, no, I wasn’t going to rewatch some 20 hrs of programming to refresh my memory.

That said, I think this a first rate series even with its problems (Uhtred, for instance, resembles nothing like the character in the book - so I have gathered anyway). Who cares? Good action, touching drama, and, overall, well done. Two thumbs up.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  15. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Season four dropped last Sunday. I'm about 4 episodes in. It's okay, but something seems wrong this season. I don't know if it's the fact that much of the cast has changed or it's the production values, direction, or poor storyline, but it's just not working for me like before.

16. C4rl

C4rl Forum Resident

That’s strange, you’re the first person I’ve come across say anything negative about it, it’s been almost universally praised if you look on Twitter etc. I’ve just checked the seasons out on IMDB and its the highest rated season, all bar one of the episodes are rated in the nines, 8.8, 9.2, 9.4, 9.6, 9.3, 9.2, 9.3, 9.3, 9.5, & 9.6.

MC Rag likes this.
  17. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I like it, I just don't love it. This, like a previous season (season two, maybe?), is obviously a combination of two books with the first one concluding in E4 (which started the previous season). Now, we're on to another storyline. Maybe it will get better. There just seems to some 'off' about this season. Maybe it's just the budget. The sets look spare and there is a noticeable lack of extras and care taken with the clothing and armor. I dunno.

Oliver likes this.
  18. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Me and my wife just started streaming this over the past week. Love it. Ill admit the start of season 3 hasn't grabbed us quite as much as the previous seasons. Skade is kind of annoying and Bloodhair is somewhat of a generic concoction of the villains before him. Still more than watchable though.

GodShifter likes this.
  19. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

we're watching the newest season on Netflix, season four. Right off the bat the blood and sex has been ramped up compared to earlier seasons. I'm still liking it. I liked Vikings until it turned into a marvel comic, then we dropped it. But that was five or so seasons along. A lot of good shows die in season three, imo. We've seen five episodes, five to go. Bad shows I don't watch-not even the old 'keep watching it'll get better' trope. Great shows are fairly rare percentage wise.

GodShifter likes this.
  20. C4rl

C4rl Forum Resident

Great news for fans, ‘The Last Kingdom’ has been renewed for a fifth season by Netflix :righton:

unclefred, GodShifter and rich100 like this.
  21. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Unfamiliar with the other seasons, bought season 4 dvd. Find faults in everything .. budget.. story .. cast. Straight to trade pile. Read some reviews comparing it either to GOT or Vikings. Well it’s neither of them. To be fair, is season four just sub par.. or was the other season’s superior?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
  22. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

I've loved it, way better than GOT for me. Don't understand why you would start at Season 4. Do what any normal person would do and start at the beginning.

23. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

So season 4 stinks ?

Rating comparison I’d give Game Of Thrones a solid 10/10.. Vikings 7.5/10., and The Last Kingdom 4/10, which had a children’s tv quality to it. The lead actor’s accent seemed to keep changing. No redeemable female characters. The only high standard was the okish soundtrack sound effects.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
  24. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

No Season 4 doesn't stink, I just think if you join something that has been going for 26 episodes you've obviously missed quite a bit of the character development. Try the first few episodes of series 1, then you'll find out if it's for you or not.

YardByrd and GodShifter like this.
  25. Simon_LDT

Simon_LDT Forum Resident

I find The Last Kingdom to be on a par with Vikings (S1-3) but the quality of Vikings has dropped significantly since the bloated 20 episode seasons and now The Last Kingdom is the better show.

Both are nowhere near GOT level, although they are different really and I like them for different reasons.

Jumping in at S4 is not a good idea, the best parts are in S2-3 for me and with Alfred still alive.