The last movie you saw in the theater

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

I have the exact quote.

Professor Merkin: Seinfeld is a seminal text, but for sheer Sartreian dread you can't beat Friends. Coffee shops and existentialism just go together.

brownie61 likes this.
  2. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

NY nad LA this weekend to Oscar qualify. wide release closer to Christmas

Monosterio likes this.
  3. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

This movie was OUTSTANDING. at the top of my list for 2018. two great actors at the top of their form. and well written screenplay for them to work with. i even feel like i learned something. hard to believe the same director as Something About Mary.

Chris DeVoe and brownie61 like this.
  4. Chris DeVoe

I just saw Green Book. Quite enjoyed it, though to be honest it was exactly the film I thought it would be - a road movie with two vastly different people who learn something from each other.

5. Chris DeVoe

I just saw Steve McQueen's Widows and quite enjoyed it. I didn't know it was a Chicago film, I didn't get that from the trailer.

Monosterio likes this.
  6. Hightops

Hightops Forum Resident

Saw The Favourite. Very good! Imagine Wolf Hall with a good dose of raunch. Loved the score. My God, what an ending.

7. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Fingers crossed that it makes it here next week...

8. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

It's been quite a while--I think it was the US version of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. A woman in front of me kept checking her huge phone, which illuminated at least a 6' radius around her, until I tapped her on the should and sinisterly whispered, "If you look at your phone one more time I'll have you removed." I had already hushed some kids behind me, so I was done with the cinema at that point.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  9. Chris DeVoe

I understand but I'd rather keep this thread entirely about people enjoying the cinema experience, otherwise it'll devolve entirely to people with home theater explaining why they never go to the theater. Thank you.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  10. efraley

efraley Forum Resident

Creed 2 enjoyable but 20 minutes too long and predictable

11. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

Bohemian Rhapsody a couple weeks ago. This report did not go over well in the Queen threads, but I enjoyed people applauding and singing during the movie. The last time I remember a reaction like that, it was for Rocky when I saw it in 1977.

SandAndGlass and Chris DeVoe like this.
  12. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

Ralph Breaks The Internet.

Good storyline, but towards the end it felt like they were trying to fit in cool scenes they had thought up but didn't really belong in the movie. They nail internet culture pretty well, and there are thousands of amusing references.

Best scene was a heartfelt, earnest "wish" musical number (written by Alen Menken!) that Vanellope sings, called "In a place called Slaughter Race." It's basically about her wanting to live in Grand Theft Auto, and it's bonkers. There's even a rap/pop version that plays over the credits.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  13. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

I'd a Rachel Weisz double bill a few days ago. Disobedience, followed by a free preview of The Favourite (which isn't out here until New Year's Day).
    I really liked both, but thought Disobedience (which has only just been released here) in particular was excellent. The three leads are all phenomenal. I've rarely been so involved in a story like it. I was very impressed.

I liked The Favourite, but it probably suffered in comparison to Disobedience, which was a hard act to follow. Maybe I was looking forward to The Favourite too much, because I loved the look and feel of it from the trailers and just the idea of a film with Olivia Colman, Emma Stone and Rachel Weisz was like a dream cast for me. By that rationale, it was not going to be hard to endear itself to me, but I may have set my expectations too high. I thought it was very good; I just preferred Disobedience.
    It is incredible that The Favourite is building serious award momentum. If it wins even one or two Golden Globes or Oscars, it must surely be one of the most self-consciously arty films to do so. It's like watching a Peter Greenaway film. I say this as a very good thing!

CBS 65780 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  14. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

24 August 2018: BlacKkKlansman.
    Great movie.
    Unbelievably bad popcorn.
    I can't believe they've got the nerve to call it popcorn.™

15. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Kind of hard to screw up popcorn?

16. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

What made it worse was when I answered "Yes" to the question, "With butter?".
    I can't believe they've got the nerve to call it butter.™

Chris DeVoe and SandAndGlass like this.
  17. SandAndGlass

I'm with you on that. It is interesting what they have nerve to call butter now days.

18. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Nothing wrong with pure butter on popcorn when done right. Too many people throw it right on without boiling the water out and keeping the butter fat only, and then wonder why their popcorn is soggy.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  19. SandAndGlass

As a kid, I liked buttered popcorn, but after a while, the butter would get to me.

I have been eating dry popcorn since I was a teenager.

I'm sure, that the "butter" that they put on popcorn is some blend of butter and whatever.

The problem too is, that they often pour the butter on one area of the popcorn, over saturating it.

20. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

Die Hard a few weeks ago.

21. bloodisthin

bloodisthin And after all, we're only ordinary men

Bohemian Rhapsody on November 20, at Darwin city cinema the day before it closed forever. I've been going to that cinema for the last 15 years, and so the last thing I heard through their speakers was Queen's "The Show Must Go On", for maximum poignancy...

Death of cinema another blow to once-vibrant inner city

Drifter and SandAndGlass like this.
  22. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Gotta have real organic butter fat for me. The crap they have now would give anyone stomach problems.

Speaking if dry...nothing like a heat lamp too.

SandAndGlass and Lightworker like this.
  23. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

The recent "Diamond & Silk" film (title withheld). Surprisingly large theatrical audience in attendance.

24. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I finally saw Can You Ever Forgive Me? over the weekend. Sadly, it was never playing anywhere near me, but I happened to take a trip to where there is a theater that shows more independent films like this. Very happy to see McCarthy get a dramatic role worthy of her talents. Great performances from both main actors.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  25. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

"Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?*
    Caught in a landslide, no escape from reality"

*42; sorry, it doesn't fit. Nice try, Freddie!