The last movie you saw in the theater

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Oct 31, 2018.

1. John1979

John1979 New Member

I saw Green Book. I enjoyed it.

2. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

My best friend and I went to see this last week (at bargain price-matinee, thankfully) and my friend ended up loving this film, while I kept feeling a bit cheated by it. Much like The Beatles related "Yesterday", this movie has a similar approach of using a worthy subject (in this case, Mr. Rogers) to get people into the theater and then instead of having the "worthy subject" being the plot of the film, it instead presents a completely different story line about someone else and HIS life. If this is Hollywood's new idea of making movies, I don't like it at all. In the end, this wacky movie, which did have Tom Hanks in it, but only enough to officially make me realize that Fred Rogers was one strange real life weirdo and it felt like a Hallmark or Lifetime movie to me, but with some violence. My friend and I both feared parents taking their children to see this movie, only to have them frightened by the storyline.

Short review: Skip this and watch the recent PBS documentary, which is far more "Mister Rogers Neighborhood" and less the unnecessary drama!

I forgot to add, I also cried, but it was because the theater bar wasn't open for the matinee showing, which I really could have used for this strange motion picture!

timind likes this.
  3. jbmcb

jbmcb Forum Resident

Frozen II with the kids.

It was... meh. Some funny parts. A couple of good songs and a bunch of filler. A *really* funny music video sendup that comes out of nowhere, complete with a Bohemian Rhapsody homage.

Seems like they had an idea for 40 minutes of plot, and stretched it out to fill a whole movie.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  4. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

your comments make it pretty obvious you had no idea what the film was about or what it was based on going in. seems the same from your comment on Yesterday. did you see the trailer-it wasn't a biography. The magazine article that A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood is based on only contains what happened in the period of time the writer spent with Mr. Rogers and it's effect on him. that's all. strange movie?? Mr Rogers weird-how? because he lived his life with grace and humility and caring for others, especially children? fear of storyline on children-why because they see what happens everyday in the world and how Mr Rogers and hopefully their parents help them understand it?
    and about Yesterday-it was a complete make believe fantasy with some Beatles music. again, not a biography and if you didn't have some idea of this going in that's on you not on how Hollywood makes movies. your "review" is totally off the mark and I fear parents reading it will be put off by it and less kids will have a chance to see more of how this outstanding man lived his life.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  5. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

When I was younger, I never watched Mr. Rogers TV show, so I would not relate to the movie.

6. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

Frozen II it was OK but I liked Frozen better.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  7. HeavensAbove

HeavensAbove Forum Resident

Parasite. First film I had viewed in a theater in about a decade, and probably one of the top 20 best films I have ever seen.

8. Chris C

WOW!!!!!!!!! Thanks ever so much for your "review" of my review, not that I asked for one! Good to know that I'm not even allowed to have an opinion anymore, even on a falsely advertised movie!

Steve Carras likes this.
  9. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

anyone can have an opinion. IMO you make false and misleading statements that should be corrected. including your claim the film was falsely advertised.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  10. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

Ford vs Ferrari, the big hit about the 1966-69 Le Mans car race. Enjoyed it.

11. Chris C

Well, since you seem to be such a huge fan of that movie, may I throw this your way ...

12. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Let it go.

Exotiki, coffeetime and Al Kuenster like this.
  13. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

When I was a kid I thought he was creepy.

Flynbryan and SandAndGlass like this.
  14. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

"The Lighthouse"
    "The Good Liar"
    "Knives Out"

15. AppleCorpse

AppleCorpse Forum Resident

The last movie I saw in the theatre was Pulp Fiction in 1994. Yes it's true.

TheDailyBuzzherd likes this.
  16. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Yeah, his show would start and I would change the channel.

Guess I'm a just a Captain Kangaroo man, through and through.

unclefred and brownie61 like this.
  17. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

[​IMG]

Very good film directed by Todd Haynes. Mark Ruffalo is quite good in this.

A slow moving film but a rewarding one overall that really makes you think about chemical companies poisoning our water (and often getting away with it)

Based on a true story.

***1/2 out of 5

18. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Frozen 2.

Well, the kids enjoyed it!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  19. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

We did JoJo Rabbit last night. I can see this going over better in the midwest, where Jewish pockets of larger cities are more spread out. I heard some of my friends here finding it anti-semitic (sorry, I don't know which boundary I'm breaking here, political or religious; my apologies)(seriously, it's not my intent here to offend, rather to invoke more discussion about differing impressions of this film), but we found the innocence and the sweetness rubbing-up against the "going there", refreshing, and the comparisons to Wes Anderson valid. (I got it - as if Kurt Vonnegut did a Wes Anderson film...? :idea: ).

Not my favorite for 2019, having already seen Parasite; but, it's definitely the "season" where the film industry "makes up" for all the lame selections we have have undergone thus far this year.

20. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

I don't know how anyone could think that. Yes, this is a little boy who's been fed steady diet of poisonous lies about Jews encounters a friend of his late sister who may be the only Jew he's ever met.

She's been forced to hide in a crawl space, and she's a snarky teenage girl dealing with a 10 year old.

So she mocks him by repeating all the lies he's been told, until he finally comes to realize that they are in fact lies.

Honestly, I love this more than any Wes Anderson film I've ever seen. It's free of the off-putting archness of much of his work, with an honesty and directness than Anderson usually never finds.
    That's a very useful comparison.

Again if anybody is found this film to be anti-Semitic, they're desperately reaching for offense.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  21. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I think you hit the nail on the head...twice. I'm coming from a world where I didn't grow up sensitive to these things personally, as part of an insular community...many of my friends here however did. And I've seen situations where opinions and reactions to various things we've experienced together, mean different things. We've had awkward discussions, and other situations where we couldn't have a discussion at all; and sometimes we understand and empathize...but sometimes we don't even understand how the other doesn't understand.

So, yes...I both understand how you "don't know how anyone could think that"...and, I see how sometimes "desperately reaching for offense" is also "a way of keeping peace within another's family". And, you're not wrong, and neither are they.

I could go into this deeper, but would rather not cross that line any further than has been attempted here in hopes of clarity and observation.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
  22. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

21 Bridges. Exciting, violent, thought provoking.

Brenald79 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  23. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Saw Jumanji: The Next Level today.

If you liked the previous one, you will probably like this one too. But, IMO, this one was a little more over-the-top in silliness compared to the genuine laughs in the previous one. Even though the new one did have laughs, some seemed forced. And for some reason, they felt the need to add Danny DeVito, Danny Glover and Awkwafina into the mix for no apparent reason. The previous one was fine with just The Rock, Jack Black, Kevin Hart and Karen Gillan. Also, Nick Jonas and Colin Hanks (Tom's son,) reprise their supporting roles in the new one. Rhys Darby is also back as the NPC game guide. The 4 original kids who played the Game are also back, with a twist. Bebe Neuwirth and Lucy DeVito (Danny's daughter) have small parts also. Rory McCann (the actor who played "The Hound" in Game Of Thrones) plays the antagonist in this movie.

By the way, Karen Gillan is still hot as ever. :)

24. Slayne

Slayne Proper geezer

Joker.
    In 70mm.
    Reminded me of how good watching a movie in cinema can really be.

Scope J likes this.
  25. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Last Jedi. That's the only time I find myself motivated enough to see a movie when it first comes out- this latest Star Wars trilogy. I had plans to go see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and The Joker but both times something else came up and I never got around to it. Just watched Hollywood at home on my projector and will do the same with Joker. Going to the movies just isn't like it once was. It's usually a disappointment and/or hassle. The closest theater to me is very poorly run. Projectors are regularly glitchy, start times are always changing, projector setups are sometimes faulty, staff doesn't know much and cares even less. I'd just rather wait and watch it at my convenience at home. Now it would be a different story if I had access to a nice reliable theater.

coffeetime and SandAndGlass like this.