The last movie you saw in the theater

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Oct 31, 2018.

1. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Just saw The Gentlemen. With such a great cast, I really wanted to like this film, but sadly did not. I thought the actors were all great, but it could not hold my attention at all. Way too much talking and difficult to follow in the first hour. I was nodding off, and thought about leaving, but stuck it out. Hugh Grant was great, Matthew McConaughey was his usual cool self, and it was interesting to see Henry Golding very convincingly pull off a role that was not a romantic leading man. All of these things, among other great performances including Colin Farrell and Michelle Dockery, should have added up to something better. But somehow this film was less than the sum of its very good parts. I blame it on the script.

alexpop and SandAndGlass like this.
  2. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Recommended!

longdist01, Karnak and SandAndGlass like this.
  3. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

2020 Oscar Short Live action films

A Sister (Belgian)

Brotherhood (Canada/Tunisia/Qatar/Sweden)

The Neighbors’ Window (USA)
    Saria (USA)
    Nefta Football Club (France)

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  4. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

2020 Oscar nominated Animated Shorts

Hair Love (USA)

Daughter (Czech)

Sister (China)

Kitbull (USA Spark Shorts-Pixar)

Mémorable (France)

After there were 4 extra Shorts shown

*Commendable Animated Shorts

Henrietta Bulkowski (USA - Kickstarter)
    The Bird & The Whale (Ireland)
    Hors Piste (France)
    Maestro (Hungry)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  5. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

Having a theater day back home in Chicago with my wife.

Saw The Traitor, an Italian film about the effort to bring down the Mafia and a trial that resulted in more than 300 convictions - and the murder of several judges. Recommended.

Then my second viewing of Just Mercy. AMC is showing this film at a discount for Black History Month for only $5. There is a feature at the end, but it's not vital, just self-congraulations about how talented everyone involved in making the film was. But do see this film.

Steve Litos likes this.
  6. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

Jo Jo Rabbit-why, oh why, did i wait so long to see this. while not your typical comedy fare (Nazis) i laughed hard at this film. yes it has some sobering moments but the script and the performances are outstanding. the young actor who plays the main character gives one of the best performances in decades by a child actor IMO. i would recommend this to anyone who enjoys good cinema. just might be the best 2019 release i've seen so far.

SandAndGlass and Chris DeVoe like this.
  7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Just watched the dvd ( yeah double dip seen the movie in the cinema). The best Toy Story I found. Funny/ sad.. special.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  8. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

It was okay, but focused way too much on Woody and Bo Peep, and not the other characters.

SandAndGlass and alexpop like this.
  9. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Just saw "The Invisible Man" last week in the theater. I highly recommend it. A psychological chess game implementing a new optics technology where the moves come out of no where and inflict damage you don't see coming. Quite bloody in some parts but it's what really ratchets up the tension and suspense. This is less a sci-fi remake of the classic Claude Rains original and more of how to take revenge on someone.

Brenald79 likes this.
  10. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood — and if that’s the last ever, I went out on top.

11. alexpop

Yeah. Guy Ritchie‘s last good film imo was Rock n Rolla.

12. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Went on a drive-in date several weeks back, does that count? They were showing Groundhog Day and Knives Out.

GD is a classic of course, Bill Murray in his prime, but I found Knives Out tedious and silly overall.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  13. HorseyAnn

HorseyAnn Equine-loving, rhyme-artist

Baywatch The Movie. I have watched other modern films since but the modern films I wanted to watch since were Musical films & I've got the habit of singing every song I know the words to when I hear it & I knew the words pitch-perfect most of the time but you still can't sing at the cinema.

The modern films I've watched since are Bohemian Rhapsody, Rocket Man, Blinded by the Light & Yesterday.

14. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

I thought theaters were pretty much closed world wide other than drive in's?

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The last film we saw in a theater was Pixar's Onward, which was around the 8th of March. We knew the theaters were about to close because of the coronavirus, but we figured that would be temporary. Little did we know that things were about to hit the fan...

16. Prudence1964

Prudence1964 Forum Resident

Parasite. Just before the Oscars.

longdist01 likes this.
  17. alexpop

Think it was a farewell. Logical conclusion for Woody. No more Toy Story films perhaps.

18. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Ford V Ferrari

I go so infrequently that I can recall the two prior to that as well......

Bohemian Rhapsody
    &
    Rush

19. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

"Rolling Stone : the Life and Death of Brian Jones" on 8th March

20. HorseyAnn

HorseyAnn Equine-loving, rhyme-artist

They are.

21. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

The last one I saw was The Gentlemen on Feb 8.

22. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Forum Resident

The last "movie" I saw in theatre was Fleabag, a recording of Phoebe Waller-Bridge's one-woman play that she later expanded into the TV series of the same name. It was recorded as part of the National Theatre Live initiative which records and broadcasts live productions. I saw it early in March, just before everything shut down.

23. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

The Rise of Skywalker back in December.

(Sigh)

24. clayton

clayton Senior Member

Ford v Ferrari

longdist01 likes this.
  25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

AMC delayed reopening to July 31, so my next last movie will have to wait a little longer! :sigh:

longdist01 and Chris DeVoe like this.