The last movie you saw in the theater

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Oct 31, 2018.

1. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Still "Tenet". The movie theatres here have been closed for a year now.

2. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Limbo - This film is great. It is both funny and tragic at the same time, sometimes simultaneously, which is something I don’t think I’ve ever seen before. I got to know the characters and cared about them. The cinematography is bleakly beautiful. I loved this film, and can honestly say I’ve never seen anything quite like it.

SandAndGlass and Chris DeVoe like this.
  3. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

Glad you liked it. I didn't want to say too much out of fear of spoiling it.

Was there anybody in the theater with you?

brownie61 likes this.
  4. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Yes, there were 8 people including me, in a theater that holds about 120. Everyone was seated in the back 3 rows (out of 8). I stopped to chat briefly afterwards with another woman who was there, and she said she expected to be the only one there. I told her I did not expect to be alone, but that film had the most people of the three I’ve been to in the past few weeks. It was a mid-afternoon screening. I felt totally comfortable.

SandAndGlass and Chris DeVoe like this.
  5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

So how did you see "Tenet" if theaters were closed last summer/fall? :confused:

SandAndGlass likes this.
  6. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Crimson Peak, must have been 6 years ago.
    It was in Omnimax or something and I recall being thoroughly unimpressed with the picture, too big and blurry.
    Was the movie good?
    I slept through a good chunk of it, so I guess that's the answer lol

7. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

You're right, I just looked it up in my calendar and I saw "Tenet" at the end of September. It feels so much longer to me now. At that time, the theatres were partly opened, but with many restrictions (only about a third of seats used, only people living in the same household were allowed to sit next to each other, mask wearing when away from your seat). Soon afterwards they were closed for good, though.

Oatsdad likes this.
  8. johnaltman

johnaltman Forum Resident

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Summer 2019

9. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

"THE UNHOLY", about a mysterious,girl sent by tbhe Virgin Mary, but horrible thuings start happening becuase of it. They have to get the chuirch.

10. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

I don't remember.

BrentB likes this.
  11. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Took me awhile to figure it out, but it was "1917" on 1/15/20. I was just looking at my Santikos and Regal Rewards accounts, wondering if points were going to expire. Looks like the Regal ones start in about 50 days. Not a damn thing in the theaters that looks the least bit interesting to me. I'd go see something like "Black Widow" if they'd put it out.

12. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

July 9th, 2021.

13. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

"Nomadland"

Attendance was sparse, to say the least

14. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Had plans to see The Gentleman in early 2020 before we were in the Covid Lockdown, but was having Post Dental Surgery Pain for awhile around that time, so missed it but bought the BluRay later and loved that Movie, snd as you can guess from my SOA Avatar, I am a Charlie Hunnam Fan, and also liked him as the Lead Actor in The Lost City of Z. Also, a fan of several Matthew McConaughey’s Movies going back to Dazed and Confused, and the Trailer looked good, so was glad I bought The Gentlemen, as will watch it several more times in the future. This Movie is most likely what had me interested in watching the recent TV Series, Gangs of London(Very Violent, but a Good Organized Crime TV Series from the 6 Episodes I have seen so far).

So the last Movie I saw with someone in a Theater(Regal) was December of 2019:
    Uncut Gems-with The Sandman(Great Acting Performance)

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  15. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

Mr. Klein (1976)

January 2020

Great local theatre that played old classic films. I really miss seeing old movies in the theaters.

I may be wrong. I think I also watched The Lighthouse a few weeks after this one.

Anyhow, it's been over a year ago! Far too long.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    Chris DeVoe likes this.
  16. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Wife and I are going to brave the theater for the first time in over a year to see Top Gun. I have never seen it before.

17. Chris DeVoe

We saw that for the first time tonight. Didn't really do much for us, the dogfight scenes were mostly a confusing mishmash. But it's the sort of film that so many people reference that it seemed worthwhile to tick it off our list.

The second film we saw was new Angelina Jolie film Those Who Wish Me Dead where she plays a fire jumper, who has lost her nerve for the job after she was unable to save someone, and is now living on a firewatch tower, and winds up having to protect a child being hunted by assassins.

Quite compelling forest fire scenes, and some very bad bad guys. An entertaining enough evening at the movies.

18. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Yeah, I found Top Gun to be a really boring movie. Maybe it was cool when it came out?

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  19. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

Parasite, same as I reported in this forum two years ago. :)

20. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I never much cared for "Top Gun" - even in 1986, it didn't work for me.

But it's indeed a relic of the era, the rah-rah Reagan 80s!

The Hud likes this.
  21. Chris DeVoe

My wife and I saw Dream Horse tonight, a true life story about a group in a economically depressed Welsh town banding together to own a racehorse.

The film stars Toni Collette and it's a perfectly entertaining, old-fashioned feel-good film. I wouldn't describe it as a film that you absolutely have to see in the theater, but if like Vickie and me, you have AMC's A*List, it's well worth being one of the three films you get to see this week for your $20 a month.

brownie61 and SandAndGlass like this.
  22. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I did a double feature on my birthday right before the pandemic hit:
    Jumanji 2
    Knives Out

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  23. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

24. Chris DeVoe

Just saw Final Account, a documentary composed almost entirely of interviews with former members of the Hitler Youth and it's female counterpart the League of German Girls.

Powerful and uncompromising. I wouldn't say I "enjoyed it" but I'm glad I saw it.

Do you need to see it in the theater? Probably not, but one man went to the trouble of tracking down an interviewing all these people before they slipped away, and I think people willing to do things like that should be encouraged, and buying movie tickets is the best way to do that.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  25. Chris DeVoe

Saw a second film this evening, and it was incredibly depressing - New Order, about an uprising in Mexico City that starts grim and then just keeps getting grimmer.

Very well made, very compelling, some great performances, but Lord Almighty was it depressing. So much so that I wish I'd seen the film with the interviews with former Hitler Youth second.

We were the only people in the theater.

Last edited: May 22, 2021
    SandAndGlass likes this.