The last movie you saw in the theater

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Oct 31, 2018.

1. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

could not agree more. Manville is wonderful, supporting cast has some familiar faces that gave very good performances, and the writing/direction were well done. better than expected by a wide margin. my wife called it "very well done fluff" which is high praise from her. if you have Covid worries, look for it in a small theater and go mid week around noon. it'll be pretty empty as it was for us. but go!

Chris DeVoe and brownie61 like this.
  2. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I am vaxxed and double boosted as well, but I still don't trust my fellow theater goers... two of my co-workers recently traveled and both came back positive for COVID...

At any rate, I am going to brave the theater to go see the new MINIONS movie with a pal this weekend. I haven't really hung out with him since the January before the pandemic -- though he was nice enough to come to the funeral home when my mother was laid out this past May...

That being said, I really liked having the option of going to the movies OR paying a premium and watching at home during the worst of the pandemic -- I liked watching in the comfort of my home!

As for MRS. HARRIS... I will wait until that is available as VOD, which I bet won't take too long...

All Down The Line likes this.
  3. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Marcel the Shell With Shoes On

I am completely unfamiliar with the character, so I don’t know how this film relates/compares to the shorts that came before, but I thought the film was absolutely adorable. Isabella Rossellini as the voice of the grandma shell was just wonderful.

4. dee

dee Senior Member

I don't remember
    I don't recall
    It's been so long
    I have no memory of anything
    Any movie at a theatre at all!

5. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

We saw it a week or so ago, and yes it is incredibly sweet and adorable. We had never heard of the character, but then again, a thing to get 50 million views on YouTube and it won't show up on our feed.

It is, of course, one of those "films they don't make anymore". You and I know that they do, and some people just decide that the only things that are in the theaters are the things that are heavily advertised to them on television.

"Make the noise Grandma!"
    "Tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick..."

brownie61 likes this.
  6. Chris DeVoe

Tonight's film was Vengeance.

It was produced by genre studio Blumhouse, which normally creates horror films, but this was a bit of a departure for them.

It was about a New York writer, who also creates podcasts. A girl he had hooked up with occasionally a few months back, died and he got called by her brother. The family thought they were a lot closer than they actually were, but he travels to Texas for her funeral, and decides to record a podcast about the family which doesn't believe that her death was an accident.

The film wound up going in some directions we didn't expect for what promised to be a "fish out of water" story, and it really surprising performance by Ashton Kutcher.

RSteven, Davido and brownie61 like this.
  7. Chris DeVoe

Once a month, Cinemark has a "secret screening" where they put out three hints on Twitter about what the film will be. They're usually ridiculously easy for any giant movie fan.

Last night's hints were:

"The stars at night are bold and bright"
    "Tequila"
    "Tell them Large Marge sent you"

It was worth five bucks each to see Pee-wee's Big Adventure in an excellent 4K restoration.

There was only Vickie and me and four other people, but we were all laughing.

It had been a while since we had seen it, and Vickie confessed that she thought Dottie was played by PJ Soles rather than EG Daly.

8. pghmusiclover

Happy to see this is now available to rent/own online — I plan to rent it this weekend!

9. vvmax

vvmax Forum Resident

DC League of Super Pets, fun little animated romp with Superman and other DC pals. 8/10

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  10. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Surprised there have not been any Posts in this Thread about NOPE. I was thinking of checking with a few people about potentially going to see it, now that it has been out a few weeks, and should be not too many other people in the Theater. I read several reviews, which seemed mixed overall, but seems like this Movie would be best seen on the Big Screen, unless you have an Awesome Home Theater Movie Type Room.

Chris DeVoe and RSteven like this.
  11. pghmusiclover

I was happy to watch this last night on Amazon Prime! It was enjoyable and well-acted and visually gorgeous.

brownie61 likes this.
  12. Paper Shark

Paper Shark Forum Resident

Went to see Bullet Train last night. I liked it. Nice summer entertainment.

13. MothMonsterMan

MothMonsterMan I am a moth who just wants to eat your flag

That isn't what Phantom Thread is about, just the world in which it's set. Do you have trouble remembering anyone who isn't a main character? Because Manville gave a very memorable performance even if it was only a supporting role.

14. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

Just saw Vengeance and that's a good assessment of this strange movie. Even though the movie will never be ranked as a great work of cinema I enjoyed it if only because it was so purposefully strange - which you see rarely these days. I was skeptical since the movie is a bit of "a Texas movie" but it's laugh out funny in way it both depicts stereotypes and tries to dispel them, often simultaneously. A big secret or two get revealed as the movie plays out and there's a plot twist that caught me off guard (a good thing) but for me a slightly unsatisfying ending, or maybe it's satisfying if you don't mind feeling conflicted. Anyway, the end is only a few minutes and the whole of the movie is worth seeing for some well-written comedy which overcomes the let's-try-to-make-a-statement about the current culture that will be read as profound.

brownie61, RSteven and Chris DeVoe like this.
  15. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

For those who've seen both Bodies Bodies Bodies and Emily the Criminal, which one is better? They appear to be about the same quality, judging from Rotten Tomatoes scores and reviews.

Anyway, I'll be seeing one of them this afternoon--leaning toward Bodies because of the earlier showtime, meaning I'd be facing lighter traffic on the way home. :D

RSteven likes this.
  16. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

Emily The Criminal

17. Monosterio

Have you seen Bodies Bodies Bodies too?

18. Chris DeVoe

We saw that the other night. It hadn't been high on our list, but we wound up leaving an Indian film that was mostly terrible cringy comedy. We enjoyed it a lot more than I thought we would, and we came perilously close to "hate watching" it because they were almost no characters that weren't just plain awful.

I'll put the rest of our reaction in a spoiler:

At the end, when the last two survivors unlock the cell phone of the first character to die, and discovered he died through his own stupidity, and that everybody else was killed either from paranoia, or by accident, it became a completely different film. We walked out of the theater with a completely different view of the film, and a desire to see it a second time.

The film it most reminded us of was Assassination Nation.

RSteven likes this.
  19. Chris DeVoe

You should definitely see it in the theater. We liked it a lot more the second time we saw it than the first. We managed to see it in both Dolby Cinema and IMAX, and it used the huge and very high resolution screens as well as the gigantic sound systems.

TheSeldomSeenKid and RSteven like this.
  20. Monosterio

I'm going to see that now then. I'll report back later. Thanks, Chris. (I didn't read the spoiler, btw.)

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  21. Chris DeVoe

I hope you enjoy it, with a caveat that we didn't enjoy most of it at the time.

22. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Thanks Chris
    Unfortunately, it is too late for the IMAX option, and guessing this might be the final week available at the Regal. Might see it tomorrow. Sounds like it requires a few viewings, so then most likely will buy it on BluRay when there will be a sale price on it in the future. I cannot yet play 4K, but might buy the 4K/BluRay Combo, as my current Panasonic Plasma is 12 years old, although still works fine, who knows how much longer it will last.

23. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

No

24. Monosterio

I did like it, though I hesitate to recommend it to anyone because of the awful characters you referenced earlier. I read one review where the critic was looking forward to everyone dying. :D (Not saying they do, btw.)

Anyway, this is only the third movie I've seen in 2022, and I much preferred the other two (Outfit and Maverick).

Btw, among the trailers I saw before the film were one for Smile, which looks very scary and disturbing, and Olivia Wilde's Don't Worry, Darling, which also looks promising.

And one final note: I paid $5.35 this afternoon for the first time in the COVID era at an AMC theater--the last several times it was more like $7. I'm not sure if the $5 deal is just Tuesdays or what, but I aim to find out.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
    Chris DeVoe likes this.
  25. Monosterio

I just looked up the $5 AMC deal I referenced above, and it's all day Tuesdays through October 2022. I guess it's been happening since July, but I'm finding out about it just now.

SandAndGlass and Chris DeVoe like this.