The last movie you saw in the theater

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

I watched a documentary on the lead up to WWI and the atrocities committed against civilian populations by the German soldiers in WWI, on the Pluto History Channel today.

longdist01 likes this.
  2. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I went to see "Bullet Train" yesterday -- I couldn't pass up the chance to see a movie for $3.00 (well $4.89 with tax and fees LOL)!

RSteven and Chris DeVoe like this.
  3. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

Tonight we saw the "classic" 1958 horror film The Blob with Steve McQueen. Cinemark brought it back. We were the only people in the theater, but it looked great!

Our next is a Tamil language Indian film called Cobra.

bill44, longdist01 and RSteven like this.
  4. Hyacinth House

Hyacinth House Forum Resident

I saw JAWS in 3-D, it was like watching the film through one of those old Viewmasters. I love the group dynamics of the three very different men on the Orca.

longdist01, brownie61 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  5. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

The Good Boss

Excellent Spanish film starring Javier Bardem as the owner (and boss) of a company that makes scales. He gets way too involved in his employees’ lives, and thinks he is the very best boss. Well, you decide. ;). Some funny moments, but some very heavy ones as well. Javier Bardem is such a great actor. It’s almost all in his facial expressions in this one.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  6. Chris DeVoe

Vickie's off seeing that one right now. I'm interested in it, but I can wait for home video.

She also saw Jaws in 3D, and I can't see 3 days (I can see out of both eyes, but I can't resolve forced 3D perspective.)

longdist01 likes this.
  7. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

The Blob. And 2 hours before that Jaws.

RSteven and longdist01 like this.
  8. rjp

rjp Senior Member

sitting here this morning i think i can say with pretty much conviction that i will never go to a movie theater again. i've just no desire to pay those prices and sit in someone else's germs. a good friend went to see 'top gun maverick' in the theater and said he sat i gum and that floor was so slippery he almost fell. kids were talking, cell phones ringing during the film and people were constantly getting up and going in and out of the auditorium.

not for me, uh-uh.

9. Chris DeVoe

We just saw an early showing of a film called Medieval, a Czech production with Ben Foster about a time when life was short, brutish and nasty.

Nothing especially compelling unless you are itching to see bloody battles and when best medical practice involved a handful of maggots.

longdist01 and brownie61 like this.
  10. Chris DeVoe

Your mistake was going and seeing that particular film. It brought all the amateur film goers back into the theater. I knew they were back because the toilet seats had urine on them.

Try picking a film that doesn't appeal to that crowd, and I guarantee you'll have a much more pleasant experience.

Dillydipper likes this.
  11. Chris DeVoe

Saw a second film today, and completely regret it - Barbarian - about a woman who rents an Airbnb that turns out to be in a war zone area of Detroit, one perfectly maintained house in the middle of an otherwise completely burned out area of several square blocks.

It turns out there's another guy renting the same place the same night. And it basically turns into a completely predictable horror film that makes even less sense than The Black Phone.

Bleagh! Incredibly not recommended.

Hyacinth House, RSteven and brownie61 like this.
  12. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I dunno, this one almost had me swearing off Amoldovar. An "insider baseball" version of Don't look Up.

13. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

This has been my favorite in-theater film of the year so far, just last Thursday night. Surprised Swinton could convincingly pull off a role in which she is "desirable" in the romantic sense. You ache for her heart.

Chris DeVoe and brownie61 like this.
  14. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

It's odd that you call it "completely predictable" when every RT review I've seen says it's impossible to know where the movie's going.

Anyway, I'm going Tuesday. Will report back after.

Oatsdad likes this.
  15. GillyT

GillyT Forum Resident

I saw German-made 'The Conference' yesterday which centred on the meeting held at the Wannsee Hotel near Berlin in January 1942, led by SS chief Reinhard Heydrich, which laid the blueprint for the so-called Final Solution. The only surviving copy of the minutes of the conference was among the papers kept by Adolf Eichmann, which came to light during his trial in Israel in 1962. It's similar to 'Conspiracy' with Kenneth Branagh, of course being based on the same source material, but whether in English or German, it's no less chilling to hear the morally reprehensible made to sound ordinary; as if the discussion was about shipping commodities, rather than people. It'll put a shiver down your spine.

16. Chris DeVoe

It splices generic horror film clichés together, which I suppose counts as "unpredictable" when it shifts from one cliché track to another.

Vickie likes seeing horror films because it's often the training ground for new directors, and we have discovered some incredible talent in this way. But this one didn't even try to make sense.

17. Monosterio

Ah, OK. Well, I'm all in for Tuesday--no turning back now. :D

Also ordered X from the library after seeing positive mentions in several Barbarian reviews. Horror seems to be the "in" genre nowadays.

18. Chris DeVoe

I thought Conspiracy was absolutely blood chilling. What was it Hannah Arendt said about the "banality of evil"?

GillyT likes this.
  19. Hazy_Paisley

Hazy_Paisley Forum Resident

On a recent trip to London I went to the Prince Charles Cinema for a screening of Taxi Driver in 35mm. Easily my favourite cinematic experience.

longdist01 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  20. Chris DeVoe

As a 61 year old heterosexual male, I can confirm her desirability (at least to me.)

Interestingly, Swindon lives in a poly relationship.

21. Chris DeVoe

If it's any help to anybody, I just saw the worst thing I think I've ever seen in a theater - a piece of romantic comedy tripe called Unfavorable Odds. I should have known things weren't going to be good when the director was listed as "Boogievision."

It was a bunch of "D list" actors, maybe even lower on the list.

Put it this way, the quality of the acting, directing, and production would have been exceptional if it had been a p0rn film. But as a PG-13 romantic comedy, it wasn't worthy of being in a movie theater.

My wife plans these outings, always from a place of hope. For every terrible movie like this, we discover several amazing films from independent directors or tiny film companies.

RSteven likes this.
  22. Monosterio

Just saw Barbarian and liked it--first half more than the second. In other words, the more you understand about what's going on, the less satisfying it becomes--and the more likely questions will pop into your head. But I'm not about to get into any of that... :D

23. Ms. Daisy

Ms. Daisy Forum Resident

Top Gun Maverick this summer. The only I’ve been to since Covid.

RSteven likes this.
  24. Chris DeVoe

Fair enough. It didn't capture my attention enough that I could ignore the plot holes.

25. Chris DeVoe

I'm reading Anthony Bourdain's book Kitchen Confidential right now, and if you haven't read it... the kitchen basement fight club scene in the movie Pig would seem unlikely. But compared to some of the stuff that Bourdain talks about, the fight club seems downright sedate.

Also, based on what I've read in his book I suspect his death wasn't suicide but an unwise self-pleasuring practice.

brownie61 likes this.