The last movie you saw in the theater

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I saw Minions: The Rise of Gru and I enjoyed it. My new local cineplex tends to play everything too loud, which is a shame. They do have nice new Christie laser projectors, but the sound is overbearing quite often.

MichaelH likes this.
  2. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

3. MednaTheFox

MednaTheFox Well-Known Member

Minions: The Rise Of Gru.

MichaelH likes this.
  4. normanr

normanr Forum Resident

Hit the Road. Iranian film about a family on a road trip: father, mother and two sons, one an irrepressible wisecracking kid, the other an adult who’s in some kind of trouble. And an ailing dog. The film follows their journey to a clandestine rendezvous at the border. So it’s something of a comedy, with a fair amount of tension and angst, and the occasional musical interlude. The critics raved. I wasn’t sure. The acting is very good, it’s clearly a major achievement to produce a film like this in Iran, I just didn’t enjoy it as much as I had hoped.

harmonica98 and brownie61 like this.
  5. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I started reading Kitchen Confidential but never finished it, mainly because the internet has destroyed my attention span for doing things like reading books. I will have to make a point to go back and finish it.

If what you say about his death is true, all I can say is what an idiot and what a waste. But that book was written a long time ago, so who knows if he continued to do that. I'm sure we will never know.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  6. primitivesludge

primitivesludge Forum Resident

Blackbird. Directed by Michael Flatley. Reviewed in some quarters as a contender for worst film ever made. Imagine my disappointment when it was no worse than the last 15 years of Hollywood bilge.

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  7. Daring

Daring My quest to marry Stevie Nicks has failed

Went to see Maverick. Hadn't been to a theater in 20yrs. It was very entertaining.

longdist01 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  8. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

Vickie and I just saw The Invitation. It stars nobody you've ever heard of, and was shot in Hungry for a ridiculously low 10 million dollars, but it looked amazing. The director and the cinematographer are two people to definitely keep an eye on in the future.

It's a modern take on the classic vampire story.

Recommended!

RSteven, Pinknik and longdist01 like this.
  9. raveoned

raveoned Forum Resident

Last night my local theater showed the 4K restoration of Citizen Kane, and being my favorite movie, I had to go! What an amazing movie to begin with, but the restoration made it sparkle, without the clarity giving away anything that was done for the movie in the first place (brightening shadows, etc.)

And what helped the vibe is that the theater was opened in 1928, with now what's the main screen out of three being most of the original theater restored.

Got a membership there as part of a Father's Day present, and have taken full advantage of it since!

BTW, here is info on the theater, which is a 5 minutes drive from my house: Ambler Theatre in Ambler, PA - Cinema Treasures

10. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

The Woman King

Wow, this was tremendous. Epic in scale, but with a warm heart. Viola Davis, Thuso Mbedu, and all the women, really, gave tour de force performances.

This was visually stunning, the music was wonderful, and all of that with a wonderful story that totally captures the sisterhood between and among women. I might go so far as to say this is a film by women, for women, but everyone can appreciate the epic scope of this film and the heart at the center of it.

John Boyega continues to seem a lightweight actor to me, although he was adequate in his peripheral role as king here, and he definitely looked good, which is all I think he was really required to do.

Pete Puma, Deuce66 and Monosterio like this.
  11. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

That might well be my movie for this coming Tuesday. Very strong reviews:

The Woman King

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  12. Chris DeVoe

You need to see his breakout performance in Attack The Block, his powerful performance in the film Detroit and, it should still be in the theaters, Breaking where he plays a screwed over vet who takes hostages in a bank.

It wasn't really much for him to do in The Woman King, other than being the man king, but he did look quite good while doing so.

brownie61 likes this.
  13. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Oh my, I just realized that it's been so long, I dont remember what the last movie was!

If I had to guess it was the last, or 2nd last BOND movie.

alexpop likes this.
  14. Chris DeVoe

We just saw another Tamil language film this evening, Vendhu Thanindhathu Kaadu. A young man is driven from his home, it has to go to Mumbai to seek work, and winds up that's part of a criminal gang.

The music is by AR Rahman, and it was really exceptional.

He was a peaceable enough guy who just happened to be very good at fighting and killing. Almost none of the violence was over the top, and when he had to fight off a dozen killers, the fight happened in a narrow hallway just right off of stairway so it wasn't possible for multiple people to attack him at once.

We've been seeing a number of really amazing Tamil language films recently.

Bingo Bongo and alexpop like this.
  15. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Tilda Swinton..genie film. File under : okay.

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  16. Chris DeVoe

We just a revival of Guillermo del Toro's Pan's Labyrinth as part of AMC's celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month. As is far too often the case, we were entirely alone in the theater. Beautiful film, stunning and heartbreaking in equal measure.

MichaelH and brownie61 like this.
  17. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I didn't like it, but I didn't think it was predictable at all, especially given it makes a massive left turn about halfway through the movie - and has more "surprises" after that.

"Phone" was flawed but effective.

"Barbarian" scored some points for its attempts to shake up the genre, but it probably was too self-conscious in this vein and ended up being a plot hole-filled mess.

Biggest complaint:
    being the product of massive inbreeding gives you super-human strength and makes you nearly impossible to kill???

18. Oatsdad

$10 million isn't that low for horror. "Black Phone" was supposedly $16-$18 million and it included both a "name" director and an actual movie star.

"Barbarian" cost about $10 million and includes two "name" actors.

19. drpep

drpep Whizzing and pasting and pooting through the day

The Bob’s Burgers Movie.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  20. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

See How They Run (2022)

Terrible movie!:thumbsdow

21. MichaelH

MichaelH Forum Resident

Pan's Labyrinth is my third favorite movie of all time, right behind There Will Be Blood and Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet. I saw the film in the theater in early 2007 and was one of the greatest film experiences of my life. I'm incredibly jealous you were able to see it again on the big screen all these years later.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  22. Chris DeVoe

As I said, we were completely alone in the theater.

On the one hand, I wish people had been there to appreciate it. And on the other, we didn't have to hear any evidence of anyone not getting it.

It really was stunning, probably a 4K scan.

MichaelH likes this.
  23. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Confess, Fletch

I have been waiting and waiting to see Jon Hamm in a film role that suits him, and I think this is it.

I haven’t seen any previous Fletch movies, so I have nothing to compare this one to, but Hamm was very natural in the role, and the supporting cast members (e.g., Marcia Gay Harden, Kyle McLaughlin, John Slattery) were very good.

It took a while for me to get into it, but it ended up winning me over. It was a pleasant way to spend an hour and a half. I thought it was funny, but not in a laugh-out-loud kind of way.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
    Hyacinth House and Chris DeVoe like this.
  24. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

Anyone see Hockeyland?

25. Oatsdad

Saw the Bowie doc "Moonage Daydream" tonight.

VERY disappointed. Will discuss more after I look through the dedicated thread and opine there, but I thought it was a mess only sporadically salvaged due to some very good archival footage.

As a documentary, though? Awful.

brownie61 likes this.