The last movie you saw in the theater

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

Yeah, she was sexy even as a murderous psychopath in Suicide Squad.

RSteven, SandAndGlass and maui jim like this.
  2. Vinyl is final

Vinyl is final Not Insane - I have a sense of humor

War Horse (we got free tickets). Before that, Avatar in 3D on Imax. Before that, Star Wars episode I.

Theaters are a relic of the 20th century, IMO. I doubt very seriously that I'll ever go to a theater again. I prefer the home experience, and it is both cheaper and more convenient.

3. Vinyl is final

Man, you really beat me on that one. :p

4. Chris DeVoe

I understand, but can we not debate theater versus home in this thread? This is meant to be a warm, safe space for those of us who love the theatrical experience.

I'm reading this while seated in the theater, waiting for a movie that's already on HBO Max, Elvis on Elvis's birthday, just to share this experience with a whole bunch of people who really loved this movie and/or Elvis Presley.

RSteven, brownie61 and maui jim like this.
  5. Vinyl is final

My bad. I responded to the title of the thread rather than your post. I will honor your request. Hope you enjoy the movie!

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  6. Chris DeVoe

Thank you very much.

Vinyl is final likes this.
  7. Chris DeVoe

Vickie and I saw a film we hadn't intended to see this evening Megan (styled M3GAN).

Our original plan was to see an Egyptian film called Shalaby, but when we got to the theater and started using the kiosk to purchase tickets, they were $18 each! We couldn't justify that. I suspect, someone had booked the theater out, and were intending to collect all the ticket revenue to pay for that - a practice called "four walling." This didn't work, as there was absolutely nobody in the theater, not even us. This is a real shame, as we really wanted to see this film.

Instead we saw the Blum House film. We hadn't been interested in it, but then I heard a really great review on the podcast Film Week, where Christy Lemire just raved about it.

Very enjoyable, and clever. Nothing especially deep or particularly important, but a really fun film about making things without thinking them through - in the vein of films like Ex Machina, without being quite as dark.

8. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I may go to see it today or tomorrow, depending on how things go?

9. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

A really good movie and it sticks to the facts of the true life story closely. I highly recommend the book that the movie is based on.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  10. Jeff Edwards

Jeff Edwards Senior Member

We’re probably seeing Megan tomorrow at our closest Regal. Shalaby is at one a bit further away and maybe I’ll see it Thursday. I just checked my Regal app and it looks like it would be included by my Unlimited app.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  11. 64FALCON

64FALCON Forum Resident

The last movie I recall seeing 'in full' in a theater was in 2005. It was the remake of "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" and I remember Lee Ermey being in it. Can't remember much else.

12. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

A Man Called Otto

Tom Hanks was perfect in this role, as was Mariana Treviño. (And the cat!) It was very heartwarming, and everything I would want a Tom Hanks movie to be. His son Truman really does not look very much like him, though!

GillyT, RSteven and Chris DeVoe like this.
  13. Chris DeVoe

Vickie and I saw this the other night, and she remarked that, between this and his role as Colonel Tom Parker, this year has shown that this man has some serious range.

14. Chris DeVoe

Tonight's film was Shin Ultraman, a modern take on Japanese Kaiju movies. It starred
    Hidetoshi Nishijima from the Best Foreign language Oscar winning film Drive My Car.

It was a weird amalgam of traditional "sweaty Japanese men in vinyl bodysuits" Kaiju film, computer graphic animation and deadly serious environmental messaging.

The same director did a similar film called Shin Godzilla, which was the most successful film in Japan that year.

We were probably twice as old as anybody else in the theater.

It was worth seeing if you get the chance, although I much preferred Colossal as far as Kaiju movies go.

15. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Empire Of Light.
    Yes good. Steller acting, but depressing drama.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Enys Men.
    Set in 1973.
    Ghost story of sorts.
    Well worth checking out, though very slow, atmospheric.
    Reminds me of picnic at hanging rock. Wicker Man, not really .. but of that ilk.

17. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

The new Avatar in 3D.

My teenage son celebrated his birthday with a couple of friends and we were supposed to leave the house :laugh:

With 3h10 length the movie fulfilled its purpose. The 3D underwater scenes were worth it, you don't watch Avatar for the plot...

18. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

19. chumlie1

chumlie1 Forum Resident

Deadpool 2

20. ca1ore

ca1ore Forum Resident

I go and see the 'event' movies at the theater but leave the rest to HT. Saw Way of Water a couple of weeks ago, all the marvel moves before that.

MichaelH likes this.
  21. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

new Avatar. glad i saw on screen. mite have turned it off if at home

22. Chris DeVoe

My wife and I saw the Korean film Broker tonight in the theater.

Incredible performances by everyone, very moving film, highly recommended.

RSteven and alexpop like this.
  23. Martin85

Martin85 Forum Resident

Avatar TWOW: booooring... you can tell that story in 90 minutes.

RSteven likes this.
  24. Mike Rivera

Mike Rivera Senior Member

We saw the new Top Gun and loved it. Nothing else in the past year interested us enough to go out to a movie ...

25. Chris DeVoe

My condolences. There were some really amazing films out there this year. My wife and I only saw Top Gun: Maverick once, but Everything Everywhere All At Once we saw five times.

RSteven likes this.