The last movie you saw in the theater

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

Our second film of the day was 65, starring Adam Driver as the captain of a starship that runs into an unexpected asteroid field, causing his ship of passengers in hypersleep to crash on a prehistoric planet Earth.

Nothing absolutely vital, but it was an enjoyable enough genre film with him and the soul survivor, a nine-year-old girl who doesn't speak his language, running from dinosaurs.

2. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Since the pandemic began, my wife and I have still not been to a movie theater. Only my eighteen year-old son has.

I honestly didn't remember the last movie we saw in a theater. Then, I remembered that I always used Fandango to get tickets. So, I searched through my email.

Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker
    at Flix Brewhouse in Round Rock. The day after Christmas 2019.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  3. Rotary Connection

Rotary Connection Forum Resident

I still haven't been to a theater since the pandemic. I really wanted to see EEAAO but never got around to it

:laugh::laugh: Top Gun did way more than Elvis did in getting people to go to theaters. And the Black Panther costumes had way more imagination and creativity involved vs recreating Elvis' close. and yes I'm aware you're going to respond with a paragraph about how I'm an idiot or whatever:edthumbs:

Oatsdad likes this.
  4. 80steen

80steen John McClane

No, I don't think you're an idiot :laugh: but bear with me on my expeced long response.
    I was talking about how well Elvis did with getting Boomers out and even older than Boomers called the Silent Generation.
    And even though Gen X flocked to Maverick, Elvis did pretty well there too.
    I get the costume design for Black Panther we're original, but recreating as many as Catherine Martin did for Elvis and how precise they were was crazy. Getting shutout is one thing when you're not having success at significant precursor award ceremonies. But going 0-8 when one of those categories you've previously won once at a Guild (Cinematography) twice at a Guild and BAFTA (Costume Design) Twice at Golden Globe and BAFTA (Actor) and three times at a Guild, BAFTA and Critics Choice (Hair and Makeup) is extremely odd and makes one wonder if something wasn't up.

RSteven likes this.
  5. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Most of the AMC theaters in my area are showing EEAAO this week for $5.

6. Elvis, last summer at the Cineplex VIP theatre. That’s the only cinema outing I’ve had since early 2020 - COVID and a new girlfriend who’s a bit of a homebody have really knocked me off my cinema game.

RSteven and Chris DeVoe like this.
  7. Kaskade10729

Kaskade10729 Senior Member

Believe it or not...

[​IMG]

And that's coming from someone who would go to the theater EVERY weekend in his prime...

8. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

On Wednesday I watched "Tár" for the second time and yesterday "Everything Everywhere All at Once", also for the second time. Both movies confirmed my first impressions.

"EEAAO" was still big fun and highly original, but dragged towards the ending, which was too mawkish for my taste. Some editing, a bit less juvenile humour and a less obvious and simple message, and it would have been perfect. Still totally worth re-watching.

"Tár" once more kept me captivated all through its nearly 3 hours length. Everything about this film fascinates me, the acting, dialogue, camera, editing and sound design. What a great film. The only thing I would have wished for, were one or two longer sequences with the orchestra performing. We mostly got very short bits, being quickly interrupted by comments from Tár. Sure, we're watching rehearsals, but it still would have been nice to get a couple of uninterrupted minutes of Mahler. So my only criticism seems to be, that "Tár" wasn't even longer. :laugh:

RSteven and brownie61 like this.
  9. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Maverick top gun . I hated it. Cool planes

10. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Yep saw it last Tuesday on Senior Citizen Day for $7 bucks and thats what it worth, a breezy way to waste an cold Winter afternoon in a warm theater with just 3 other people.
    I like Adam Driver and he tries his best in this bare story, the young girl was also very good. The dinosaurs did look good.
    I thought at first it was gonna be an Adam & Eve tale or how Man ended up dominating the Earth but it’s just a tale of what happens when you crash land on an unknown planet with many scary monsters.

SandAndGlass and Chris DeVoe like this.
  11. Rotary Connection

Rotary Connection Forum Resident

Gonna see it tomorrow! thanks for the heads up

brownie61 likes this.
  12. Chris DeVoe

Exactly! That's all that I wanted, and it delivered perfectly. I don't know why it's not doing better at the box office.

SandAndGlass and RSteven like this.
  13. Evethingandnothing

Evethingandnothing Forum Resident

Jurassic World (2015)

14. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

‘It might be the title “65” that’s pretty bad. Plus it’s up against Scream and now Shazam. In my theater they put Scream in the deluxe Dolby Atmos Theater called X-Plus and 65 is relegated to the regular rooms with nobody in them.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  15. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

Went to see Scream VI with my daughters yesterday. The youngest is a huge fan of the franchise, so we were all practically forced to see it in the theater. It was entertaining, though it would probably rank VIth of all the franchise films.

16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Oh, I disagree. It's not great but there are some real stinkers in that franchise.

RSteven likes this.
  17. Chris DeVoe

Saw a couple of films today.

The first one was an Indian film called Mrs. Chatterjee versus Norway, about an Indian expatriate living in Norway, who winds up having her children taken from her mostly due to cultural differences, for instance the child welfare people objected to a mother feeding her children with her fingers.

The second one was Red River Full by Chinese director Zhang Yimou, the story based on the Chinese poem. Incredibly violent, lots of stabbing, and more court intrigued than a typical Shakespeare play.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  18. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

I’m enjoying this. There’s always a disjointed disconnect with anything Chandler. A couple of nods to Altman’s Long Goodbye I thought too. But would have been better if based on an actual Chandler, which I don’t think it was?

19. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

The Piano

It was in the early 90s if I recall correctly. Girlfriend at the time liked period films.

20. Chris DeVoe

I'm pretty sure it was somebody licensed by the Chandler estate to write a "new" Philip Marlowe mystery.

Generally, it's not a good idea. Whatever made the original writer great is rarely to be found in another one.

I have mixed feelings about it, but on the whole it's probably a good thing that Terry Pratchett ordered that all of his hard drives be crushed with a steamroller after his death.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
  21. muzzer

muzzer Forum Resident

A quick google ( I should have done earlier ;)) says it’s based on the novel by Benjamin Black, better known as John Banville.

I’ve become quite interested in Chandler in recent years, having researched his background a bit. I wonder what drew Banville to him?

22. Chris DeVoe

Vickie and I are out for a day at the movies.

Just saw the best Indian film I've seen in years - Bheed.

It's set at a state border, right at the start of the pandemic. A young policeman, in love with a young doctor, is assigned the job of guarding the border, and preventing anyone from crossing.

Definitely not a "Bollywood" film, I'd call it an Indian art film. Shot in black and white, with kissing and a love scene, it would never pass Indian censorship for general audiences.

This being India, there is conflict at the border due to both religion and caste, and we find out early on that our hero is a member of a lower caste (Tikas) but that is father changed their family name to one that gave them status of a higher caste (Singh).

Powerful and moving, with cinematography reminiscent of classic Indian films like those of Satyajit Ray, I can't praise it enough.

The second film we saw was The Lost King, starring Sally Hawkins as a woman who becomes obsessed with finding the grave of Richard III, locating it underneath a car park. True story, although I'm not sure how much was embellished. I remember reading about this in The New Yorker, back when it happened in 2012.

The way the story proceeds I'm reminded of the old saw that academic politics is the most vicious, because the stakes are so low.

The third film we saw was a dubbed German children's movie called The School for Magical Animals. It was terrible, and I wouldn't recommend it for anybody, but you never know. Occasionally you'll find really amazing films made for children, like Miss Minnos.

We're in the theater. Waiting for our fourth film of the day, The Tutor. We'll see how it goes.

SandAndGlass and brownie61 like this.
  23. Chris DeVoe

Tragically, The Tutor was awful.

RSteven likes this.
  24. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

aftersun.... A very interesting movie if somewhat slow...

brownie61, Chris DeVoe and RSteven like this.
  25. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Unfortunately, we are all living in this world...