The last movie you saw in the theater

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

I knew it was flawed, and it is at heart a melodrama rather than a proper drama, but it was a fun night at the movies - which is my primary criteria.

Bodied
    was a lot better but it's already gone from the theaters.

Rotten Tomatoes is a useful tool, but mostly is a way to quickly get to a whole bunch of reviews. The composite score doesn't generally tell me whether or not to see a film. I'm quick reader, so I can plow through three or four positive and negative reviews in order to make up my own mind based upon the bias displayed by the reviewers.

Monosterio likes this.
  2. Rhcp2000

Rhcp2000 Active Member

Most times ive seen a movie is a 4. Five way tie. Star wars ep 3 and ep7, winter soilder, avengers 3 and black panther.

Biggest gap between viewing one movie 32 years. ET 1985 and 2017.

Seen episodes of 4 tv shows in a theater. Doctor who, inhumans, game of thrones ,star trek next gen.

Have seen the following artists in a movie event and also live in concert. U2,moby,hall n oates,ringo starr, alice cooper,.

Saw trumbo, victor Frankenstein, and rifftrax santa clause and the ice cream bunny in the same day . Have had many multiple movie admission days, but that might be the oddest

In my record keeping i consider a "special event" to be anything that is not a regular release movie that has not been released on dvd blu ray yet. I brought the black panther blu ray the day it came out, then drove to the theater and saw it a 3rd time. Counts as a special event.

Oldest movie i saw wizard of oz.

Saw batman 89 and spiderman homecoming in one day. Keaton double feature.

I could go on and on and i might lol, have seen over 20 rifftrax events. Was a big mst3k fan growing up and its been a huge thrill to see a form of the show on the big screen. Manos hands of fate on the big screen. Lol.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  3. Chris DeVoe

I've been to a few of those Rifftrax Live events as well. Lots of fun. Was a first generation MST3K fan.

Rhcp2000 likes this.
  4. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I REALLY liked that film. A bit of a Tarantino cop, but still the most fun I think I’ve had in a theatre this year.

A couple this past week. The new Crimes Of Grindlewald (3D) - meh. Only really went cuz it was my last night of the month to get a Sinemia show in. In retrospect, I should have streamed some tv at home...

A few days before I saw a kind of low-budget sci-fi flick (“Prospect”) that I’d almost recommend (but not quite). Interesting storyline, and I was impressed with the other world they created with their limited budget - just a few twists that I couldn’t quite forgive...

I like that you’ve started this thread, Chris, as it will likely point towards more modern releases than the other thread, and that’s what I plan on focusing on for my next ten months of Sinemia (which I DON’T recommend as a moviepass replacement). I’ll try to chime in regularly.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  5. Rhcp2000

Rhcp2000 Active Member

I saw rifftrax do the doctor who episode the five doctors. Lol. As i listed before i saw the new seasons premiere episode for the new doctor. Then over the summer i saw a directors cut of the classic tom bakers story genesis of the daleks. So ive gotten a good dose of who cinema. Lol. Have you had the privilege of seeing the THE DOCTOR in the movies?

6. Chris DeVoe

I'll see it because it's leading up to the rest of the Harry Potter films and I'm a total sap. I wish Rowling would hire the fan-fiction author known as Little0Bird. Her stories are excellent.

Not heard of that. I'll have to see if Vickie has. I love films where they compensate for a lack of money with creativity - like Brigsby Bear or Dave Made A Maze.

I suspect Vickie will have to do Sinemia and just be scrupulous about dotting every "i" and crossing every "t".

7. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Venom.
    I'm not really a huge fan of superhero movies, but I enjoyed this.

Rhcp2000 likes this.
  8. Chris DeVoe

I saw it but it kind of squicked me - this guy is now in a symbiotic relationship with an alien that eats people. So what, does he now by default also eat people?

Vickie saw Green Book and loved it, saying it's a lot deeper film then the trailer conveys.

9. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Rush - Feat. CHRIS HEMSWORTH

Yep i have kids and it is all a bit hard!

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  10. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I’ve seen this trailer a bunch of times, and while I didn’t think much of it at first, I am really looking forward to seeing it now. Now I’m just waiting for it to show up in a local theater.

The first Fantastic Beasts movie is the only Harry Potter related movie I’ve ever seen, and I haven’t read any of the books, either. (Yes, I am the one remaining person on earth who never got into Harry Potter.). Anyway, I went to see Fantastic Beasts because a friend wanted to go, and I really enjoyed it. What I’ve seen and read of the new one, though, is not perking up my interest at all. Reviews, including yours, seem to be pretty universally meh.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  11. Rhcp2000

Rhcp2000 Active Member

I enjoyed venom more then i thought i would.

12. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

Went to see Steve McQueen’s Widows today. Great stuff, feels like the Le Cercle Rouge, The Departed and A Most Violent Year combined. Don’t know why the trailer made it seem like a slightly more serious Oceans film, as the real thing is so much better. Gillian Flynn co-wrote the script and as usual with her stuff, just as you feel the plot has gone off the rails she pulls it all together.

Want to go see the new Fantastic Beasts at some point, but I really felt the last one was a pretty drab and joyless movie. Shame, as I love the Potter films, which balanced the light and the dark very well.

Graham, Chris DeVoe and Monosterio like this.
  13. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Widows, the Viola Davis picture I just came out of, is the best movie I’ve seen this year—though it’s quite possible I missed some better ones, as my viewing is more limited now. Excellent picture, though.

Now I’m off to Overlord, as unfortunately Bohemian Rhapsody is sold out. Later...

Chris DeVoe and zombiemodernist like this.
  14. October Man

October Man Extraordinary tunes from the hard drive

Lost In Space in 1998.

15. Monosterio

Ah, sorry @zombiemodernist, I didn’t have much time earlier so I failed to notice you also had posted about Widows. Glad you liked it too... :righton:

Btw, the second movie I saw, Overlord, involves zombies but it was no great shakes. Here’s hoping movies get better in the next few weeks!

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Creed...

17. Monosterio

Oh, I forgot to mention I caught my first glimpse today of the trailer for M. Night Shyamalan’s Glass, out in January. It stars Bruce Willis, Samuel L . Jackson and James McAvoy as their characters from Unbreakable and Split.

But I’m guessing many of you already knew that... :)

18. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Star is Born. Absolutely awful.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  19. Rhcp2000

Rhcp2000 Active Member

Anyone ever see a tv episode of anything in the theater? One of my highlights is star trek best of both worlds. Where picard was a borg.

20. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Lear with Ian McKellen

Rhcp2000 likes this.
  21. Rhcp2000

Rhcp2000 Active Member

Correction i saw spiderman homecoming 4 times in theater too..

22. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

I managed to see the Coen Brothers' "The Ballad of Buster Scruggs" prior to its disappearance from the very few cinema screens it is being shown on over here. Enjoyed it a lot more than "Hail Caesar!"

23. Local cinemas are all pretty horrible and sterile so I tend to just buy the titles I want.

Did get dragged to see "The Meg" a few weeks back. Silly but good fun. Featured a very brave dog.

24. Gumboo

Gumboo Forum Resident

Star Trek in 2009

25. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Crimes of Grindelwald