The last movie you saw in the theater

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Chris DeVoe, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise) Thread Starter

My wife and I just saw Beau Is Afraid, the new film by the director of Midsomer and Heredity. The film stars Joaquin Phoenix, and he is amazing in it. I had not even seen a trailer for this, the only thing I'd seen was the poster at the movie theater.

It's from A24, and they're doing astounding stuff. Not everything they do is great, but pretty much everything they do is brave, and something you've never seen before.

If you're the sort of person who enjoys films by directors like Michel Gondry, Spike Jones and Terry Gilliam, I'd recommend this to you.

Basically, we had no idea where the plot was going to go from scene to scene. Broadway legend Patti LuPone plays his monstrous mother.

nedison and brownie61 like this.
  2. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Something About Queens

I posted about this here: Rate The Most Recent Movie You Watched

I’m sorry @Chris DeVoe , I can’t keep posting the same thing to both threads, and I’m going to have to choose the other one, which is quite a good thread now.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  3. Chris DeVoe

Vickie and I just saw Super Mario Brothers in Dolby Cinema. It wasn't anything that we had high expectations for, but knew that it would be eye candy at the very least, and we've had good luck with films from Illumination.

We didn't have much knowledge of the video games, other than through cultural osmosis/parody on shows like Robot Chicken, but it was tremendously fun. Great voice casting, with Chris Pratt as Mario, Anya Taylor-Joy as Princess Peach, Seth Rogen as Donkey Kong, and Jack Black as King Koopa.

Like most of their films intended for kids, they put in a lot of little things for the adults, like a nihilistic little blue glowing star saying things like "and now for the sweet release of death!" in a baby talk voice.

Interestingly, it had credits for stereo consultants, but I know it is not been released in 3D.

brownie61 likes this.
  4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Will see it... at home.

3 hours of Ari Aster is a "do in the comfort of my HT" thing! :D

5. Oatsdad

Sure it has.

I saw it 3D - not Dolby 3D or IMAX 3D, but 3D.

Still has 3 3D showings a day at my local AMC.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  6. Chris DeVoe

My mistake, I didn't notice any 3D showings.

7. Chris DeVoe

Our final film of the day was Covenant, by Guy Ritchie.

Almost all of his previous films have been highly stylized crime films - Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Snatch, The Gentleman or other genre films like Sherlock Holmes or The Man From Uncle.

But this is his first film that's an entirely serious drama featuring Jake Gyllenhaal as an Army sergeant in Afghanistan, hunting Taliban weapons caches and his relationship with his interpreter.

It's as powerful a war film as I've seen in years. Hopefully this will get the attention it deserves, and be taken seriously by critics and audiences.

brownie61 and RSteven like this.
  8. Chris DeVoe

We just saw an early screening of Sisu.

It's both very old fashioned, and extremely violent. Sisu is a Finnish word, that we are assured cannot really be translated, but roughly means an indomitable bravery in the face of extreme circumstances.

Our hero is a gold prospector, who discovers a rich vein, but unfortunately does so right when the Nazis are retreating across Lapland, burning everything in their path. They steal his gold, and he'll do everything to get it back. They also have a bunch of women that they've taken prisoner for nefarious purposes.

It's a really great film if you enjoy seeing evil Nazis get slaughtered.

brownie61 likes this.
  9. Oatsdad

Sure, as long as it's only evil Nazis who get slaughtered.

I don't like to see the friendly, helpful, progressive Nazis die. ;)

10. Chris DeVoe

They make sure that the viewer doesn't think that these are just regular German soldiers, and they are killed in reverse order of evilness.

11. Chris DeVoe

We're out at the theater for another Sunday at the movies.

Our first film today was the Chinese Born to Fly. It's about a group of test pilots, testing China's new stealth fighter, and the new engine that they're developing for it.

It's tremendously jingoistic to China's point of view, but honestly no more so than Top Gun was to the American point of view.

Personally, I thought the plot made a lot more sense than Top Gun: Maverick.

Looking at the credits, it looks like it will be available in IMAX, Dolby Atmos and various motion simulator seating systems like 4DX.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2023
    brownie61 likes this.
  12. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I'm surprised you didn't go to see Polite Society -- I thought for sure that would be on your weekend list. I've read lots of good reviews and I will most certainly watch it when it comes to VOD! I don't really go to the movies these days, but I live vicariously through your and Vickie's adventures!

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  13. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I will be seeing Polite Society this week. I’m really looking forward to it.

Chris DeVoe and pghmusiclover like this.
  14. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I thought the previews looked like lots of fun -- enjoy!

brownie61 likes this.
  15. Chris DeVoe

I forgot to post it about that, we saw it last Thursday and loved it!

brownie61 and pghmusiclover like this.
  16. Chris DeVoe

Our second film of the day, was a Telugu action film called Agent. Ridiculously convoluted, breathtakingly violent, with a lead character who was 9 ft tall and bulletproof.

Not recommended.

17. Rhinojack

Rhinojack Forum Resident

“Susi”
    Loved it. Unbelievable? You bet, and loads of fun.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  18. Chris DeVoe

Our final film of the day was a Malayalam drama, Pachuvum Athbuthai Vlakkum (Pachu and the Magic Lamp) about a guy running a Ayurvedic medicine store, who gets asked by his landlord to accompany the landlord's mother via train to Mumbai. She winds up getting off in Goa, and he winds up trying to rescue the daughter of her servant from a gang of criminals.

Very different from your typical Bollywood film, mature, intelligent drama with comedic elements.

19. nevergnu

nevergnu Forum Resident

I got the chance to see "Man With A Movie Camera" this evening. A silent film from Russia in 1929. Accompanying music was performed live by Montopolis from music composed by Justin Sherrburn. Very interesting how the modern music went together with the film. I went into it without knowing much about it. Amazing what was achieved in this film with camera tricks, editing and angles.

After reading a little since returning home, it looks like it was not really highly regarded at the time, but has now been listed as one of the best documentaries and is generally highly rated. Definitely not for everyone, but at only a tad over 60 minutes, well worth a look at a different time and culture.

Hoping that the theater that I went to is able to continue. It is an old elegant movie house built in 1945. Now it shows mostly second run movies, Rocky Horror two or three times a year and occasionally things like this. Also, each year during March Madness, they show Gonzaga basketball on the big screen for free and you can have some popcorn and beer. I donated to their GoFund me page and not sure yet what is happening. Only a few blocks from my home, so really want to see it stay open. Cannot stand the thought of losing something like this.

brownie61, john hp and Chris DeVoe like this.
  20. Rhinojack

Rhinojack Forum Resident

I'm sorry, it is "Sisu".

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  21. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  22. Chris DeVoe

The film that it most reminded me of was Scott Pilgrim Versus The World.

23. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I have never heard of that film!

24. Chris DeVoe

It's one of those films that I can't guarantee anyone will like, but if you like it, you'll really like it. There's no middle ground.

brownie61 likes this.
  25. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

I love it. It's a rare film that approximates the experience of playing a video game while doing it very well. Yet, ironically, it's not adapted from a video game, but a equally good comic book.

brownie61 and Chris DeVoe like this.