Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

The Town That Dreaded Sundown 1976...liked it better than the remake.

Max_Renn83 and David Kellar like this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

one of my favorite movies! how does the BD look? I only have the DVD...

3. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Just a human, a victim of the insane.

I saw two movies this past night, finishing now:

The 400 Blows.
    I didn't know what to make of it. (i.e. "shrugs" emoticon) Wasn't impressed, I don't care if it's called a masterpiece or whatever.

Likewise unimpressed (mostly) with The Untouchables (1987).
    Had a few good moments, I liked parts of it, but as a whole, no thanks. Unfulfilling.

4. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Near Dark (1987) Katherine Bigelow (who started out directing The Loveless, a film with more Rockabilly music than dialogue and would one day win an Oscar) directed this film about a hick from the sticks who falls for a strange girl who brings him no end of trouble. Influenced by The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Hills Have Eyes and lots more. Incredible in-joke near the start of the film.

5. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Just a human, a victim of the insane.

Hi Michael I only have the DVD myself but the Blu-ray has gotten glowing reviews,
    this is one from Blu-ray.com giving it a 4.5 out of 5, with 5 for the picture quality, 4 for the audio:
    The Shop Around the Corner Blu-ray Release Date December 22, 2020
    I've seen another review calling it perfect, basically.

Actually the last words of the review sum up a lot, as I know you love it:

Charming, well-acted, and perfectly paced, Ernst Lubistch's career highlight The Shop Around the Corner is a perennial Christmas favorite around these parts and it's wonderful to finally have the film on Blu-ray... let alone from the one of the best labels in the business. Warner Archive's disc, as usual, supports the film very strongly with an outstanding new 1080p transfer and carries over most of the DVD-era bonus features while adding a few new ones too. Even if you don't get it in time for the holidays, this one's absolutely recommended for die-hard fans and first-timers alike.

(I don't have the money really, or I'd have already bought myself one. I'm just gonna stick with the DVD. Enjoy!)

p.s. the reviewer thinks it had a 2k scan, but is unsure.

(image from 1080p, resized to 720p, then compressed using JPEG to improve loading time)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    Michael and Karnak like this.
  6. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

They had the butchered version in pristine quality and the 16mm 'complete' version they found in Buenos Aires and they possibly had an original running time but if you look closely there's duplicate shots from both the 16mm and the butchered pristine version (the framing is different in both prints)in the 'complete' version. I figure by repeating these shots they got close to the original running time although there's a giant hole in the plot (How did Maria escape? and what happened to the scientist who created the man/machine?). Actually I checked Wiki and they said two scenes in the Argentinian/New Zealand print were damaged beyond repair

"The Argentine print was in poor condition and required considerable restoration before it was re-premiered in February 2010. Two short sequences, depicting a monk preaching and a fight between Rotwang and Fredersen, were damaged beyond repair. Title cards describing the action were inserted by the restorers to compensate. The Argentine print revealed new scenes that enriched the film's narrative complexity. The characters of Josaphat, the Thin Man, and 11811 appear throughout the film and the character Hel is reintroduced"

7. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

BD is spotless, sharp and has great gray scale.

Michael likes this.
  8. Karnak

Karnak "81-82-83-84..."

Saw this on New Year's Eve(<p. 998). Next time I'll have to watch for the in-joke, and other things.

Mylene likes this.
  9. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Raiders Of The Lost Ark
    I hadn't watched it for decades. Some dated moments but it's such great fun.

[​IMG]

Death Proof
    I saw this a few years ago, so decided to give it another spin. Some great moments, visuals and excellent car stunts but boy does it draaaag on during the girlie chat scenes. The tatty 70s film print look/effects are fun but a little over-played.

vapor minor and David Kellar like this.
  10. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

“The Man Who Would Be King”

This afternoon, hadn’t watched it for years.

I had quite forgotten what a wonderful film this is, Connery & Caine in top form.

11. lc317

lc317 Forum Resident

Kolchak: The Night Stalker (1972)

[​IMG]

Really good stuff, like an X-Files from the early 70s (the X-Files creator sited this show as one his main influences)

Had heard about these movies and TV episodes for many years, but finally took the plunge last night with the pilot movie. There is another movie to watch before jumping into the 20 TV episodes - The Night Strangler from 1973 - looking forward to them, as I really needed some new content to watch.

12. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Uninvited via Rifftrax on Amazon Prime

A Greydon Clark joint from 1987. Not familiar with his work? Well, he made low budget, bad movies such as Uninvited. A radioactive cat escapes from the not very secure lab where it's being experimented on. It has an inner beast cat that comes out of its mouth and kills people, if not outright from blood loss, then slowly by blood poisoning. Meanwhile, a rich guy hopes to take his yacht to the Cayman Islands and become more rich. He has invited a couple of bathing beauties he met at a hotel to join him, and they invite their friends. Once they arrive, the rich guy has fired or run off the entire yacht staff except for the cute captain. So, he allows the guys and girls to stay if they act as the crew. Oh, and they find the cat and bring it on board, because, "Awwww, kitty!" Well, eventually they find out that cat is trouble. It kills Clu Gulager! It kills George Kennedy! It kills most everyone. The end? Not so the last shot would have you believe. It's all quite ridiculous, but entertaining enough for a Greydon Clark film and it's helped out by the riffs.

13. Kaskade10729

Kaskade10729 Forum Resident

14. Kaskade10729

15. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoise (1973) - From the new Bunuel Criterion BD set. This may be his funniest movie.
    [​IMG]

vapor minor, Purple Jim and G E like this.
  16. bababooey

bababooey Forum Resident

Karate Kid. Had just finished the final episode of Cobra Kai and it was on. Hadn't seen it in years. Still enjoyed it.

17. David Fischer

David Fischer Forum Resident

18. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

19. Kaskade10729

Do yourself a favor -- I know, because this is a favorite of mine -- and pick up Shout! Factory's Blu-ray of this title...it blows away previous DVD incarnations by a mile. And it restores the famous shootout/stare down scene in the disco in terms of music (so "Brown Sugar" and "I'm a Man" are still in there, rightfully so).

lc317 likes this.
  20. David Fischer

David Fischer Forum Resident

I didn't watch a DVD. I DVR'd Nighthawks on the FLIX movie channel, and it had all the music in the film ("Brown Sugar" etc). It also had the stare down scene in the nightclub. This was the first time seeing it, but it sounds like I watched the same version.

21. Kaskade10729

It is possible that they were broadcasting based on the high def master Shout used, but the benefits of owning that Blu-ray go beyond just the music...believe me. If you're a fan, the remastered print on that disc, though somewhat grainy in some places, is a treat.

Of course, I was coming from the full screen Goodtimes Video DVD, so the Blu-ray was a revelation...

There's also a plethora of cool extras on the disc; interviews with key players and such.

Also: That "stare down" sequence between Sly and Rutger was never MIA; that's not what I was attempting to convey. There have been versions of the release, however -- from the film's OWN STUDIO, Universal, go figure -- that dubbed out the two pivotal tracks in that sequence for generic score that COMPLETELY ruins the power of that moment. That's why fans were excited when Shout announced they were restoring the two tracks in that scene (apparently there has been licensing snafus involved in the past).

22. lc317

lc317 Forum Resident

Nighthawks is an awesome movie; captures that "gritty early 80s urban" vibe so damn well.

Max_Renn83, Kaskade10729 and Karnak like this.
  23. G E

G E Forum Resident

Seven Days in Nay

Lancaster Kirk Douglas, nice thriller

Mesozoic Mike likes this.
  24. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Forum Resident

Snowpiercer the movie.

I actually watched the tv show first and liked it better than the movie.

25. Mesozoic Mike

Mesozoic Mike Forum Resident

The Window (1949). Scared me a lot when I was a kid.

Jimmy B. likes this.