Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

I thought both were quite good. I posted a couple complaints about the former in that dedicated thread, but still thought the picture was quite good, overall. Timely topic, with interesting ideas and a great lead performance.

The Hanks film was a refreshing change from the above, set in another time and place. Absolutely stunning cinematography and, again, strong lead performances. It may have been a tad predictable for me, but that's a very minor complaint. I preferred it to the Hanks WW2 naval film from the summer/fall.

Both new flicks are well worth seeing, I believe. Forgive me if I'm not more forthcoming, but I'm always reluctant to discuss details of films that have just been released. Especially in an age where it's not easy for many to see new films...

jlocke08 likes this.
  2. David Fischer

David Fischer Forum Resident

Batteries Not Included (1987)

[​IMG]

3. BroJB

BroJB Hey man, is that FREEDOM ROCK?

Watched this last night on Amazon Prime. Nice, old-school creepy movie with tremendous cinematography. Greatly enjoyed it...

Max_Renn83, Tim S and Dillydipper like this.
  4. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Senior Member

The Buddy Holly Story (1978).

Okay, it's fictionalized greatly, but I knew that going into it, and I liked it.
    Hadn't seen this in ages, years. (I liked it when much younger, had the soundtrack LP, etc)

Busey gives a great performance.

I'll have to watch The Real Buddy Holly Story sometime.

Max_Renn83 and moomoomoomoo like this.
  5. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

its also up there as one of THE best photographed films he's ever made, the production design as well, the colors .... it all comes together in this icy bergmanesque drama.

6. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

searching for bobby fischer

7. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Sultan Of Snark

Got the wife to stop binge-ing on The Crown on Netflix the other night long enough to finally see George Clooney's Midnight Sky. How'd they cram all that exposition into one movie, without making time to give us a plot...or, a point.

We just kept explaining to each other, what it was either of us were missing at various points, but...once we got to the end, neither of us could figure out what the heck it was about.

My favorite:
    "Okay, so...me and my buddy are gonna leave you two here alone to man a city-sized, broken-down spacecraft, while we bail to go home, which the main character has just explained, there's nothing to go home to."
    "Ummm..okay. Well, best of luck to ya. We'll be just fine up here..."
    -WHAT-?!

After that, my wife tore the remote out of my hands, and said, "I wonder if there's any episodes of Black-Ish I missed left on Hulu..."

mrjinks likes this.
  8. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo Senior Member

Creem: America's Only Rock & Roll Magazine DVD 6.5/10

While this worth a watch, I was a bit disappointed that it didn't capture the magic of the original mag to a teen in the 70's. It may be that one had to have been there; I don't know. It did hit me that Creem had a bigger influence on who I became than I thought: I thought it was mostly Bowie & Mott that turned me into a glam rocker by the 80's. This mag had a lot to do with it; along with the best Rock writer of all time, Lester Bangs. Bangs may have been a jerk, but man could he write! Think of an understandable Hunter S Thomson writing about rock & you'd be close!

I don't know how much this will show that magic to those who were too young to read Creem in it's glory days (or even read it at all). One thing I didn't know: Creem (like Rolling Stone last year) was sold to a corporate conglomerate (which again like Rolling Stone) totally destroyed the magazine. I'd stopped reading it by the late 70's - early 80's as I was really not into punk at the time; I was doing a singer songwriter thing. So I was fortunately spared how bad the mag became after it was sold.

But Boy Howdy, what memories! If Rolling Stone was the intellectual side of rock back in the day, Creem was the irreverent glam side.

Unfortunately with Bangs & Dave Marsh passed away, very little footage, & the music scene so different today; I'm unsure how the film makers could have gotten it right.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    Purple Jim likes this.
  9. The Truth About Cats & Dogs - Uma Thurman & Janeane Garofalo

Cute movie. It was on one of my movie channels.

JonW likes this.
  10. Staxus

Staxus Senior Member

Last Night ......
    [​IMG]

PapaMuerte, Karnak and Jazzmonkie like this.
  11. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Senior Member

Dave Marsh hasn't passed away.

12. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

I saw this at a weekday matinee when it was first released and I was alone in the theatre. A very entertaining movie that deserves more fans.

Karnak, jhm and Staxus like this.
  13. Max_Renn83

Max_Renn83 Senior Member

The Spanish title is very apt.

jhm likes this.
  14. Max_Renn83

Max_Renn83 Senior Member

Blessedly tasteless like no movie now would ever be allowed to be. The adults figure the only way to stop the zombie kids is to hack off their hands. Ah, the good ol’ days. Starring John Travolta’s priest brother from Saturday Night Fever, Martin Shakar.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

keefer1970 likes this.
  15. Max_Renn83

Max_Renn83 Senior Member

News of the World is both an excellent Tom Hanks vehicle and a very good western.
    [​IMG]

16. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

They Live

Max_Renn83 and Karnak like this.
  17. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

The Lighthouse (2019) on Amazon Prime

Two miserable bastards land on a miserable rock to operate the lighthouse for two weeks. A storm blows in on the day before their relief is scheduled to show up and they end up stranded there for much longer. They spiral into alcoholism and madness. Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson are both excellent in a dark and occasionally comical film. The black and white cinematography (in a nearly square aspect ratio) is super thick with atmosphere. It and the sound design kinda remind me of Eraserhead, in that respect. This was done by the same fella who made The Witch, and I think I liked this one better.

It's actually loosely based on a real incident ( Smalls Lighthouse - Wikipedia ) and there's also a British 2016 movie, also called The Lighthouse, based on it as well. It's also available on Amazon Prime, though I haven't watched it yet.

Max_Renn83 likes this.
  18. JonW

JonW Well-Known Member

Yes, I would love to see this or Once Upon a Time in the West on a big screen with a good sound system! Maybe one day...

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    Max_Renn83 and jhm like this.
  19. JonW

JonW Well-Known Member

Saw this in the cinema when it came out. I did quite enjoy it but my main memory of it is that the ending was so obviously tacked on afterwards, it seemed to me that it must have somehow failed in preview screenings and so it had to be changed. I don't know if that is actually what happened, but that's what I felt as I came out of the cinema. It was the first time I'd seen a film where this was so obvious.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  20. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

"Class of Nuke 'Em High" (1986)
    A leaky nuclear power plant near a small town high school has disastrous effects on the student body, turning the honor society kids into a gang of murderous punks and causing a clean-cut preppie girl to give birth to a horrific mutation.

This post-nuke parody of the "teens-run-amuck" genre from the legendary Troma Films (of "Toxic Avenger" fame) features all of their usual trademarks -- fifth grade level humor, gratuitous boobs and ultra-violence, shameless, bug-eyed overacting by everyone in the cast, and lots of cheap, slimy gross-out gore. Obviously it's silly as hell (on purpose) but I'm not gonna lie, it made me laugh out loud a few times.

Fun fact: they filmed parts of this in my home town (Paramus, New Jersey) when I was in high school. My friends and I watched them shoot the bit where the biker gang crashes the school bake sale. For all I know, I might be in the background of that scene, but even after repeated viewings over the years I've never been able to find myself in the crowd of extras.

21. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Senior Member

I saw The Real Buddy Holly Story,
    courtesy of you tube (quality is okay).

Eh, I feel funny saying this, but it was overall pretty boring, the way it was presented.
    Not his life being that, but the way it was told; the performance clips are exciting to see (can only imagine how Buddy REALLY sounded live;
    supposedly one of the loudest guitarists I remember reading...and so you have these tinny sounding clips, him on Ed Sullivan with the Crickets..
    still great to see though....glad the footage exists!
    And so....

I hadn't seen this video, produced and in part hosted by Paul McCartney, for decades. This is from 1987. I saw it on a VHS back around then.
    It ends on an emotional note (of course),
    but overall the film just didn't convey the excitement of his music or anything - it just felt like home videos, which is what is mostly is, or just interviews; occasionally illuminating but not for the most part.
    I liked that Sonny Curtis was one of the people interviewed, as was only right.
    A small couple bits with Keith Richards talking.
    I'm not sure what I expected, but I felt partway through it would maybe have been better just to see the performance (TV) clips,
    and read the interviews instead. (Some of the interviews have people talking pretty slow - it depended on who was being interviewed, or what they had to say, of course)

Not a great viewing experience, though I guess all Buddy Holly fans should watch the 86 minute documentary. Once.

22. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

The Housemaid (2010) - Had to revisit this one to see Jeon Do-yeon in a sympathetic role after seeing her evil side in "Beasts Clawing at Straws."
    [​IMG]

23. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful Part 1

Terry Gilliam's Baron Munchausen

[​IMG]

PapaMuerte, jhm, Max_Renn83 and 2 others like this.
  24. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

No characters to really connect with but somehow a feel-good movie.

[​IMG]

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  25. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo Senior Member

Anything with Fay Wray & decent print gets a like from me!

harmonica98 and fretter like this.