Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

My Little Chickadee (1940), starring Mae West and W.C. Fields, on the Criterion Channel
    [​IMG]

Mae West was the highest paid actor in Hollywood in the mid 1930's. She made a career out of delivering sultry one-liners while rolling her eyes suggestively.
    This film, today, is notable for the overt sexuality for which she was known (very tame by today's standards), while being shockingly politically incorrect in it's depiction of Native Americans. I used to love W.C. Fields, but his comedy falls flat in this one.

Al Kuenster likes this.
  2. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Stuck in the 21st Century.

[​IMG]
    A weak western, for me, called The Desperadoes, from 1943.
    Columbia's first technicolor movie.
    Starring Glenn Ford, Evelyn Keyes (she can't save this), Randolph Scott (who I've only known from his mention in Blazing Saddles),
    Edgar Buchanan ("Uncle Joe") and Claire Trevor (Raw Deal, Murder, My Sweet, Born To Kill, Key Largo). No one can save this.

I wonder if this is when Ford starting seeing Keyes. I should look that up, if possible.
    My third movie of them together - the first being Mr. Softy, then The Mating of Millie.

Just checked wikipedia - he was married 4 times, and had affairs with 146 actresses. I didn't need to know this....

The photo that got me to waste money renting the above movie:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 9:34 AM
    Al Kuenster likes this.
  3. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Nomadland. I'd seen it before when it was called Without A Trace which was a solid star above NML.

4. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Forum Resident

5. Kaskade10729

Kaskade10729 Forum Resident

6. Kaskade10729

7. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

[​IMG]

I have always liked the film, but felt like something was missing. Eventually, I blamed it on the strange german dub. So I decided to watch it in its original version.

And watching it in English definitely helped! You get much more of a sense of the troubled emotional undertones that make Ethan do what he does. Even makes you notice the lush cinematography even more.

I think it shared a few motifs with that other chilling Ford/Wayne work, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. The ending of one era, paving the way for a new one. People's definition of "home", challenged by unprecedented circumstances. They have to adapt to new times, and sometimes society doesn't have a place for them anymore, so they have to wander forever between the winds. Also shares some similarities with Lawrence of Arabia for me - the primary mission is sort of accomplished, but the protagonist will likely never find inner peace.

The comic relief characters, neccessary as they probably are, added little imo. That impression doesn't change after my third viewing, I'd have preferred to see more of Ethan. Regardless of that, I start to realize why this movie continues to amaze 65 years after its release.

Max_Renn83, Al Kuenster and polchik like this.
  8. longdist01

longdist01 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Ferris Beuller's Day Off (1986)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021 at 10:33 PM
    gonz, Al Kuenster and David Fischer like this.
  9. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Island of Death (1976) on Amazon Prime

A little slice of Greek sleaze from director Nico Mastorakis. How sleazy? A young couple arrives on Mykonos, find a nice place to stay, make love in a telephone booth, but, before they start, he calls his mom so she can listen. While listening, a detective is listening in and finds out the couple are in Greece. The next morning, the young lady Celia rebuffs Christopher's advances, so he goes for a walk where he meets a sheep. Things do not go well for the sheep. Turns out, Christopher is a pervert, but not just any pervert. He's one of those holier than thou perverts who believes it is his duty to murder people that he finds distasteful. So, as a couple, taking turns killing and taking pictures, they begin murdering the peculiar inhabitants of this small Greek island. Well, it's all quite something. Mykonos and the cinematography are pretty, as is Celia and several other nude ladies throughout. The performances are all fine, but the film is a little long and a little slow and doesn't add up to anything quite as shocking as one might expect with a plot summary like the one listed above. I figure you'll know if you like this sort of thing or not.

10. Shambolicus

Shambolicus It's 'cause I'm short, I know...

[​IMG]

Released in the US as A Bag of Marbles (2018)

In World War ll occupied France, two young Jewish brothers left to their own devices demonstrate an incredible amount of cleverness, courage and ingenuity in attempting to evade arrest by Nazi authorities and survive in order reunite with their family.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021 at 1:09 AM
    vapor minor likes this.
  11. Shambolicus

Shambolicus It's 'cause I'm short, I know...

Yep, good flick indeed. Omar Sy is also really enjoyable in the TV series Lupin, currently showing in the US on Netflix. Friendly tip: turn off the default subpar English dub and watch it in the original French with subtitles.

vapor minor likes this.
  12. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

good will hunting

Al Kuenster and Jimmy B. like this.
  13. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Stuck in the 21st Century.

[​IMG]
    Human Desire (1954) on Masters Of Cinema Blu-ray.
    "Region B locked" in this case means a screen will pop up saying you're the wrong region,
    and then you click the menu button, and it plays on your region A player.
    I liked this a lot the last time I saw it, on you tube. (though it's no The Big Heat)
    This time I just had my mind wandering, and found it difficult to watch, knowing a bit about Glenn Ford's life, his womanizing,
    causing each of his wives to file for divorce, for Eleanor Powell to file on grounds of mental cruelty I believe it was.
    I don't think I can watch him in any movies for a while now.
    And I was thinking of watching my HD stream I own of The Mating With Millie, with Evelyn Keyes, just a day ago. Less than 24 hours ago....
    So much for The Big Heat, my favorite film noir?
    Depressed over this. Sorry I ever read anything about the ****ing JERK.

Al Kuenster likes this.
  14. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

The Great Outdoors

Al Kuenster likes this.
  15. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Forum Resident

The Bad and the Beautiful BR, what a great cast.

16. Kaskade10729

17. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

Siege of Jadotville-Netflix-I really enjoyed this film. based on the largely unknown true story of Irish military UN peacekeepers chosen to work in the Democratic Republic of the Congo during a period of Civil War after Congo declared independence from Belgium. A group of 157 Irish soldiers, many very young and all inexperienced in the field, are charged with defending the town of Jadotville in the breakaway district of Katanga from rebel forces working against the new democratic government. The character development was well done and the battle and political scenes handled deftly. I also feel like this is Jamie Dornan’s best performance. With further research I have found that many fault the historical accuracy, including intimating that the rebel forces and their backers may have had a hand in UN Secretary General Dag Hammerskjold. I won’t spoil with further with details but it’s a really enjoyable watch.

18. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

Sweet Country-Prime-Australian film set in the outback in the late 1920’s revolving around an aboriginal man charged with murder in a self-defense killing. A friendly preacher sends two (husband & wife) of his aboriginal employees to a local rancher to help with repairs. It doesn’t go well. Later the rancher threatens them and is killed. The pair run off-due to his killing a white man-are pursued and returned for trial.

Sam Neill is good in a limited role as the preacher and the aboriginal male lead, Hamilton Morris is too. A majority of the film takes place in the outback as a local constable, played by Bryan Brown, pursues the pair. He is a very unlikable fellow. The film shows very vividly the racism prevalent at the time against aboriginal people. It can be a hard watch at points. Also a good bit of subtitles so as to help with the deep accents. If you are interested in the material, worth a watch. Or a Sam Neill fan.

19. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

Supernova-in theaters-Colin Firth and Stanley Tucci are both very good in this story of two men in a long-term relationship and how they handle ones onset of dementia. They travel through the Lakes District of England on what may be their last getaway together. It’s a beautiful film, mainly due to the chemistry and history you can feel between the two actors, who have been friends for 20+ years. As Tucci’s character becomes more dependent on Firth, life becomes more difficult for both. Watching this deterioration can be tough to watch, especially if you have an older parent of relation. But the love shown between the two actors is uplifting. Add in the amazing scenery of the Lakes District and this is a highly enjoyable film. Recommended.

20. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

The Dig-Netflix-another film I enjoyed very much. Based on a novel that reimagines the true story of an archeological dig in 1930’s England. I’ll do my best to not spoil too much. the two main characters, the female landowner and the self-taught male archaeologist, played by Carey Mulligan and Ralph Fiennes, are really well portrayed. She hires him to excavate some mounds on her property and they turn out to be quite special. Soon other local folks are involved in the dig and of course, the government steps in. it’s a beautifully filmed movie and although not historically accurate, was moving and at times exciting. If you are into English history or archaeology, definitely check it out. Then look into the full, real story.

Morpheus, Max_Renn83 and Shambolicus like this.
  21. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

Machete Kills-Netflix-only for real Robert Rodriguez/stupid action-comedy fans. Sequel to Machete, which was spawned by the Spy Kids franchise. Danny Trejo stars with a cavalcade of recognizable names, Mel Gibson, Sofia Vergara, Demian Bichir, Michelle Rodrigeuz, Cuba Gooding ,Jr, Jessica Alba, Amber Heard, Walton Goggins, Antonio Banderas, & Charlie Sheen as US president. And Lady Gaga! Dealing with a truly dumb plot (your not watching this for a plot) and special effects. An incredible array of fight scenes, silly props (like Vergara’s corset machine guns), and crazy weapons. A mindless, bloody, sometimes fun watch.

vapor minor likes this.
  22. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

Radium Girls-Netflix-based in fact story of women falling ill due to working in a factory painting watch dials with glow-in-the-dark radioactive paint. Centered around two sisters with an older sister who also worked there that died early. When the oldest of the two living sisters starts to get sick and is diagnosed as “healthy as a horse” by the company doctor they start to suspect the work may be the issue. What follows is the younger sister’s attempts to rally others to their cause, watching others get sick, and an eventual courtroom drama to try and prove the company knew the paint was poisonous.

It’s largest flaw, IMO, is the lead character never seems like the type of woman who would go out of her way for anyone or have the gumption to address the problem the way the she does. Add in a script that’s unfocused, especially early, and the unneeded subplot (also apparently historically inaccurate) around the Communist Party. Then the especially annoying wide use of historical footage-I assume to show the passage of time mainly-and the film lacks any real impact in trying to show what these women went through at work, including their treatment by the men around them. I also felt that the lead actress, Joey King, wasn’t up to the material, weak as it was.

23. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

Cloudburst-Prime-fun romp with Olympia Dukakis & Brenda Fricker. Adapted by the director from his play. Two women in a long-term relationship deal with the effects of one’s (Fricker) daughter trying to have her moved to an elder care facility. After her partner breaks her out, the two-plus a young male hitchhiker they pick up-head for Canada so the women can get married. Along the way they run into many difficulties, all played for laughs. Dukakis is very foul mouthed and raunchy while Fricker’s character (who is blind) is very gentile and loving. While the script seems a bit corny at times, it’s a fun watch. And the cinematography of Maine/Canada is special. Be prepared for one of the longest male full-frontal scenes ever.

24. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

Nomadland-in theater-Frances McDormand gives a bravura performance as a woman who loses her factory job and decides to sell her stuff, buy a van, and travel the country searching for work. Based on a non-fiction book, Nomadland: Surviving America in the Twenty-First Century. Using mainly non-actors who are van living nomads, the film follows a year in the characters life and her various jobs and interactions with people living the van nomad existence. You will, IMO, start to feel you are watching a documentary at times it’s that well done. The film deserves all the accolades and awards it’s received so far and McDormand has to be the front runner for the best actress Oscar. The direction (an Oscar favorite also) score, & cinematography are really outstanding. Highly recommended.

Morpheus likes this.
  25. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

The True History of The Kelly Gang-Showtime-highly fictionalized story of Ned Kelly, an Irish immigrant who became a bushranger and his gang as they fight oppression from Australian authorities. It’s a hard film for me to describe. Built around a real character but based on a novel, it seems to be trying to be too many films at once. Western, horror, erotic thriller, biography. It follows Kelly’s life from a childhood sold into servitude by his mother to leading a gang of “outlaws” against the Australian colonial police. With many moments of hard-core violence in between. And degradation to men, women, and children. But not told in a traditional style, with jarring visuals and sound. George MacKay and Essie Davis, as Ned and his mother, give good performances, as does Thomasin McKenzie as a love interest. But Russell Crowe doe much to much scene chewing in his role. I endured this film, but didn’t enjoy it.