Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. gonz

gonz Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Not at all like the trailer suggested. Good movie. 3/5.

2. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

The Last Vermeer (2019) - pretty good historic drama. I wasn't familiar with this story. Guy Pearce, Claes Bang and all other actors were good too

3. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Forum Resident

Pittsburgh BR

4. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

Famous movie, never seen it before: Stargate (1994)

[​IMG]

5. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Being There--Peter Sellers plays a simple minded gardener who is mistaken as a great sage and is taken into a household by a billionaire. Pretty much an understated feel-good movie.

Madame Sin--no way around it, it is a B-spy movie in the mold of Sean Connery's 007 spy films. Stars Robert Wagner as an ex-CIA agent, and Bettie Davis as the titular evil character. As I said, it's a B-film, but not without a few twist and turns.

longdist01 and Jimmy B. like this.
  6. We watched Stargate on Netflix. Unhinged after that on Amazon. I keep hoping for a 4K for Stargate. Still a fun movie even if the TV series was better.

7. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Easy Money.

Jimmy B. and longdist01 like this.
  8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Speed (1994)
    Not bad for a nearly 30 year old film.
    End credits had a Billy Idol song ...
    Yeah ... SPEED!!!! :)

9. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

The Ten Commandments

10. timind

timind phorum rezident

Being There. I wish I understood the ending of this movie.

@Morpheus, got any idea about the ending?

11. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Hot Tub Time Machine (2010)

jlocke08 likes this.
  12. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Manhattan Nocturne. A hard boiled columnist accepts a woman's request to find out how her husband died. No person in this film from the stars to the supporting casts talks or acts like in real person in human history and just because most of them are emotionally damaged doesn't really cut it. Worth watching for Yvonne Strahovski.

Josie & the Pussycats (2001). When the top boyband in the world discovers subliminal messages in their records they are disposed of ('take the Chevy to the levy' is the code for their elimination) and the record company must find a new band by the weekend. Enter Josie & the Pussycat, who, up to this point have been playing in bowling alleys. Crazy film about product placement and subliminal messages has more product placement and subliminal messages than any film since Back to the Future. Extras: Backstage Pass (the making of), deleted scenes, the trailer (which is really dishonest) and three music videos.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    vapor minor likes this.
  13. longdist01

longdist01 Forum Resident

Roll With Me (2017) documentary

14. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

From 1974, Luther, starring Stacy Keach as Martin Luther. I also recognized the always recognizable Patrick Magee as his father. Kind of long and preachy, but not bad.

[​IMG]

fretter likes this.
  15. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Forum alien.

[​IMG]
    My Fair Lady.
    Well after a couple times or more of trying to watch this and stopping very early
    due to the snobbishness of how she is treated for not speaking "properly,"
    I finally watched it. I mean, I like Audrey Hepburn very much. Hard not to love seeing her in most of the movies I have (this is only my 9th).
    I liked parts of it, there were great moments and others just the opposite for me,
    and I hated the ending. Also the film was too long for me, they could have eliminated some of the weaker songs in this,
    as while some are memorable some are pretty bad IMO.
    Also I didn't remember that she didn't sing the songs in this; and like Natalie Wood with West Side Story , she was dismayed to have Marni Nixon's voice in her place,
    though got over it by the next day.
    After I watch a movie I sometimes read reviews (it was partly that the late Roger Ebert - whose opinions I don't always agree with - called this the greatest musical of all time
    or such in his review that had me watch this - plus, the last free day on TCM On Demand) - I read the top "most helpful" review on IMDB, a 7 stars out of 10 one,
    and I have to agree with it thoroughly.
    But What Had Henry Learned?
    Overall I'd give this a 6 or so. Way too long indeed though. Audrey's wonderful at times, I just wish there was more of them. And I hated Henry Higgins.

(and when I saw the movie Kes, I didn't look down on the people speaking with a Yorkshire accent [only found out what it was after the film], I just couldn't understand a great deal of what they said is all...)

JonW, Al Kuenster and fretter like this.
  16. Platterpus

Platterpus Forum Resident

Soylent Green (1973)

17. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Forum Resident

The last five movies I watched over the past week: Action In The North Atlantic / The Caine Mutiny / Dead Reckoning / Destination Tokyo /
    The Wagons Roll At Night. I highly recommend them all. :righton:
    [​IMG]

Staxus likes this.
  18. Staxus

Staxus Senior Member

Last Night .......
    [​IMG]

ChazFromCali likes this.
  19. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

The Secrets We Keep (2020) - nice thriller/drama
    Interview with the vampire (1994) - haven't seen it in many years, good movie

20. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

21. rjp

rjp Senior Member

godzilla vs. kong

a half hour too long the whole 'second story with the old guy and 2 kids" could have been completely cut out.

22. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

23. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

From 1952, Okinawa, starring Pat O'Brien. This old flick was about the naval battle off Okinawa, particularly a destroyer and her crew battling the dreaded kamikazes. It had a lot of cheesy/inane dialogue in places, but the battle scenes, mostly made of old newsreel footage of actual kamikazes attacks, which are pretty compelling. Not Bad.

[​IMG]

24. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Forum Resident

For a Few Dollars More DVD(2 disc SE)

Grand_Ennui and Jimmy B. like this.
  25. JonW

JonW That's just the name of the shop, love!

I saw this (or it may have been the play) when I was a teenager and really disliked it. I found the idea of making another person into somebody else to be obnoxious. Now, 40 years later (!) I suspect it isn't supposed to be taken at face value and perhaps it's a satire on the class system. Doesn't make me want to see it again though :laugh:

Regarding your spoiler, that's moving towards the way I think about Marnie, where the Sean Connery character (is his name Mark?) could just as easily as Marnie be the subject of a case study but the film isn't really interested in him at all.