Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

2. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

The Verdict (1982)

3. BZync

BZync Senior Member

Just saw Another Round, which was one of the films nominated this year for Best Direction. I knew almost nothing about it beforehand, and really enjoyed it. Very good film.

4. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Murder, My Sweet - 1944

jason88cubs and Jimmy B. like this.
  5. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Forum alien.

New York Stories - but only Life Lessons,
    with Rosanna Arquette, and Nick Nolte.

Rosanna........
    [​IMG]
    (Rosanna has the single most incredible "entrance" scene in this with the exception of Jane Greer's entrance in Out Of The Past)
    My biggest screen crush ever, is her from the '80s and '90s.
    What an incredible actress too.
    And the story's fantastic too.
    [​IMG]
    :love:

I skipped over the second featurette to try and watch Woody Allen's (the third act in this), but just can't, not after that.
    Powerful acting on Nolte's part too. What that guy has to deal with.....

Of the three films, the only really successful one is "Life Lessons," the Scorsese story of a middle-age painter and his young, discontented girlfriend. The Coppola, an updated version of the story of Eloise, the little girl who lived in the Plaza Hotel, is surprisingly thin and unfocused. And the Allen, about a 50-year-old man still dominated by his mother, starts well but then takes a wrong turn about halfway through.

Although Scorsese's film begins before the director is identified, there's not a moment's doubt whose work it is. His restless nature is obvious from the first shots. Nestor Almendros' camera moves almost unceasingly throughout the film, and most of the cuts are on movement, so that we rarely get the feeling that there is anything still and contented in the soul of his hero.

This is a man named Lionel Dobie (Nick Nolte), a large, shaggy painter who works in a loft, weaving back and forth in front of his canvas like a boxer, painting to very loud rock 'n' roll. He uses a garbage can lid as a palate, and there is a voluptuous scene in which the camera follows his brush back and forth from paint to canvas.

Dobie lives with a 22-year-old woman (Rosanna Arquette), whose bedroom is perched on a balcony below the ceiling. She wants to leave him, and in the long reaches of the night he looks up sometimes at her bedroom window like a middle-age Romeo who has lost his Juliet.

Dobie is verbally clever but emotionally uncertain. In his attempts to keep the woman, he flatters her, makes promises of reform, explains that he can help her career, says he needs her. She has some canvasses of her own around the studio - anemic, unfocused, skeletal figures on muddy backgrounds - and she wants to know if she will ever be any good. But the one compromise Dobie cannot bring himself to make is to lie about the quality of a painting.

The film moves easily in the New York art world of dealers and openings, seeing and being seen. The girl has a crush on a young "performance artist," and Dobie takes her to his show, which consists of bad stand-up comedy and flashing searchlights in an abandoned subway station. Dobie's gesture is intended to show he understands her, but in fact he has contempt for the performer ("you sing, you dance, you act - what's performance art?"). And the girl, uncertain what she wants but certain that she must escape his smothering possessiveness, drifts away.

"Life Lessons" seems the longest of these short films, because it has the greatest density, the most to say. It is not about love. It is about how the girl is first attracted by Dobie's power, then grows restless because there is no role in it for her, except as cheerleader and sex trophy. It is about how Dobie really does have deep loneliness and need, but that it does not require this woman to satisfy them; he is so needy, any woman will do. The movie never steps wrong until the final scene, which Scorsese continues for just a few lines too many.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    Morpheus and vapor minor like this.
  6. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Manhunter (1986)

vapor minor likes this.
  7. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Rikki and the Flash. Rikki (Meryl Streep)works in a supermarket all day and plays in a bar band at night. When her filthy rich estranged husband calls she comes running. Rick Springfield cancelled an Australian tour to make this film. Jonathan Demme directed.

vapor minor likes this.
  8. jason88cubs

[​IMG]

Steve Martin, so funny

9. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Fargo on AXS TV.

I was very surprised that they didn't cut out all of the swear words.

Al Kuenster likes this.
  10. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

11. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Quo Vadis, Aida?: Quo Vadis, Aida? (2020)

A brilliant movie -- 100% RT rating (51 reviews). The setting is in the town of Srebrenica, and the lead character, Aida, is a UN translator. The Serbian army has taken over the town, and thousands of Bosnian Muslims are seeking refuge at the UN facility. Decades ago, I watched a Frontline special about the tragedy. The movie is absolutely spot on and very intense. If you know the history, you know what is coming, but exactly how it plays out is a suspenseful chess game.

12. jason88cubs

[​IMG]

I liked it

Al Kuenster likes this.
  13. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I agree that the first is fantastic, now it kinda reminds me of parts of the Hemingway documentary. But I howled over Woody's part, tears in my eyes. My wife actually fell out of her chair and laid on the floor holding her sides at one point. It was just so refreshing to see Woody just being funny with no pretensions of art of seriousness attached.

Jimmy B. and vapor minor like this.
  14. ChazFromCali

ChazFromCali INTJ

Safety Not Guaranteed (2012)

Starring.... no one you ever heard of.

Had never heard of it. Learned of it in the time travel TV show / movie thread. I was pleasantly surprised it's a mostly well done low budget movie that is not the "normal" time travel film.

(My only critisisim is that the FBI agents were not believable. Especially at the end.)

Spitfire likes this.
  15. gonz

gonz Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Tampopo.

Can’t say I understood it. Really enjoyed the opening theatre scene. Visuals were interesting enough to hold my attention throughout.

JonW, Tim S and vapor minor like this.
  16. Kaskade10729

Kaskade10729 Forum Resident

17. HorseyAnn

HorseyAnn Equine-loving rhyme-artist

Just my luck.

18. Kaskade10729

Kaskade10729 Forum Resident

19. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I wouldn't call Aubrey Plaza unknown. She was on Parks and Recreation for years. Mark Duplass has been in quite a few things too. Love this movie.

mrjinks and ChazFromCali like this.
  20. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

The Walk in 3D
    It is actually a love letter to the Twin Towers with a true story wrapped around it. I don't know if it's the 3D but the first scene of being at the top of one of the towers and the wire walking is amazing to experience.

21. MAYBEIMAMAZED

MAYBEIMAMAZED Don't think Twice it's alright

Fargo- had not watched this in a long time I still like this movie :)

Jimmy B. likes this.
  22. ChazFromCali

ChazFromCali INTJ

OK. Well, I guess I've never heard of them.
    ;-)

23. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

godzilla king of the monsters

and

alita battle angel

Morpheus likes this.
  24. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Last night
    Forrest Gump
    The special effects don't hold up very well, and yet I enjoyed it more than ever!

Al Kuenster and Jimmy B. like this.
  25. gonz

gonz Forum Resident

Do you believe Jenny’s tale about Forest jr. being Forest’s son?