Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Butterfly Blue likes this.
  2. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

3. jason88cubs

4. badfinger54

badfinger54 Forum Resident

BLACK NARCISSUS (for the 2nd time)

5. jason88cubs

6. mmars982 likes this.
  7. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Bride of Re-Animator (1990) on Joe Bob Brigg's Last Drive-In on Shudder

An entertaining enough sequel to Re-Animator. Perhaps not as funny or memorable as the first, but more special effects laden and still a good time.

Next of Kin (1982) was Joe Bob's second feature

Apparently a favorite of Quentin Tarantino, I thought it was pretty good too, so we have that in common. No, it's not the hillbilly revenge drama with Tall Bono. In this, a young lady inherits her mother's old folks home. As she goes through her mother's diary about how she feared the odd goings on and deaths at the home, similar things begin to happen to her. Is the home haunted? Or is something sinister being perpetrated by the doctor who oversees the patients? A slow burn, as they put it, but it kept me captivated until the big reveal. Good stuff and a pretty movie as well.

8. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

Playing With Fire on Amazon Prime

mmars982 likes this.
  9. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

The Roaring Twenties...

jason88cubs likes this.
  11. jason88cubs

12. longdist01

longdist01 Forum Resident

Was going to watch disc from library earlier...instead the DVD inside...
    Chicken Little (2005)
    oh well cute fun film, nice soundtrack though - Barenaked Ladies, Joss Stone/Patti LaBelle, R.E.M. , Diana Ross!

13. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Shane

Chuck Berry: Hail! Hail! Rock 'N' Roll

Grand_Ennui, Al Kuenster and Jimmy B. like this.
  14. Platterpus

Platterpus Forum Resident

Motherless Brooklyn (2019)
    Basic (2003)

15. Staxus

Staxus Senior Member

Last Night ........
    [​IMG]

Al Kuenster and Spitfire like this.
  16. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Forum alien.

[​IMG]
    Crossfire (1947)
    Fantastic movie about and against prejudice, specifically anti-Semitism, in this very different kind of noir.
    Very moving, SUPERB!
    9/10
    Great movie against bigotry and hate-filled minds period.

(and, besides having Robert Mitchum in it [most charismatic actor ever?], Robert Ryan, and Robert Young, it had Gloria Grahame in it!)

[​IMG]

Her appearance made this already-great movie even better, at least a little bit. Always does.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  17. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

[​IMG]

It was pretty good.

mmars982 and Spitfire like this.
  18. jason88cubs

19. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

I watched Sea Fever this weekend and I thought it was a pretty good thriller. Not a high budget movie, but well made

20. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

Cold Mountain (2003)- been many years since I last seen it, so decided to watch it again yesterday. Good movie

21. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Mutiny On The Bounty (1935) on BD. Charles Laughton makes this movie work.

Al Kuenster and Spitfire like this.
  22. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The 1925 silent film classic The Lost World on Blu-Ray. Great remastering.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  23. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

The U.S. vs Billie Holiday-only knew a little about this story. firstly, it's a difficult watch through many sections. second and most important, i will say unequivocally that Andra Day was robbed of the Oscar. i have seen all the nominees now and loved McDormand but the work that Andra Day had to put in for this performance and what she gave us onscreen was everything that a Best Actress winner should be. and for a first film, amazing. she's in almost every scene, the singing is spot on, and performing in the very harrowing (IMO) drug and abuse scenes was phenomenal. i wish i had a better vocabulary so i could really convey how this performance should have hands down been the winner.

mmars982 and Rachael Bee like this.
  24. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

Together Together-in theaters
    Your Sister's Sister-on demand
    PLEASE DON"T READ TO THE END TO AVOID SPOILERS!!!
    while these two films really have very little in common, i post them together for a reason which i'll get to. first DO NOT pay first run theater prices to see Together Together. it ain't worth the $29 bucks we paid. and it is ultimately unsatisfying. Ed Helms-who i have decided i don't care for-plays a single man who decides he wants a family so he hires a surrogate played by Patti Harrison whom i had never seen before. she was the bright spot IMO. Helms character was so anal and so controlling any woman would have walked away from carrying a baby for him. annoying as hell. and this carried over to me giving a crap about his desire for a baby. a couple of cute scenes and a final scene that was poignant and disappointing at the same time. but not recommended.
    Your Sister's Sister is a bit better of a movie, directed by the late Lynn Shelton, and actually gets better as it goes on. basically a love triangle between Mark Duplass, Rosemarie Dewitt, and Emily Blunt (sisters). Dewitt's character is a lesbian but sleeps with Duplass seemingly on a whim. he is best friends with Blunt. he tries to keep the sex detail from Blunt and the story revolves around this element mainly. turns out Dewitt wanted a baby and poked holes in the condom she provided. they come to terms with this and eventually agree to work together IF Dewitt is pregnant.
    SPOILER ALERT!!my main gripe on these, and other films with the same detail, is that the they both end without resolution to a major plot point with "fade to black" endings. one in the delivery room and one huddled over a toilet looking at a pregnancy test. i just hate this "trick" and leave the theater totally unsatisfied. i consider it a bit lazy. just my two cents. you may feel different.

25. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

"Forget About It" (2006)
    Three friends living in an Arizona retirement village (Burt Reynolds, Charles Durning, and Robert Loggia) get mixed up with the Mafia and the FBI when they find a suitcase full of stolen cash buried in the desert. Basically a mobbed up "Grumpy Old Men" wanna-be, sunk by its cheap TV sitcom-level production values and a hopelessly dopey script.
    Raquel Welch plays the hot neighbor all three guys have a crush on, and she still looks fabulous (she was in her mid 60s when this was made), which I guess counts for something.

"The Happytime Murders" (2018)
    Set in a world where Muppet style characters live alongside humans, a puppet P.I. and a loudmouth police woman (Melissa McCarthy) investigate a series of murders involving the cast of a popular puppet TV show.
    This cross between "Meet the Feebles" and "Lethal Weapon" has a one joke premise (cute fuzzy puppets dropping F-bombs, having sex, doing drugs, etc., etc.) but it was good for a few cheap laughs. Directed by Brian Henson (son of Jim); I wonder if his Dad would've approved of this.