Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

A YouTube doc called WHY AM I DOING THIS? (A FILM ABOUT TOURING)

A fairly entertaining doc, with interviews of several touring bands. Trials, tribulations and wild stories, that never live up to the non-stop party stories from Led Zeppelin and the hair metal bands of the 80s. Steve Albini is among the talking heads.

2. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Bullitt
    It's Steve McQueen, that cool Mustang and it's pretty good. It almost seems as if they wrapped a story around the car chase. Wouldn't be the only time that's happened.

Al Kuenster and Rachael Bee like this.
  3. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Forum Resident

IDK, it's a great procedural aside from the car chase. all the set pieces - the first contract killing, the assassin in the hospital, the final at the airport are all well done. Also, McQueen's willingness to go up against the bureaucratic nonsense is by now a tired trope. But it was sort of new then, and established an archetype

4. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

After the Thin Man (1936) - They were still flirting with the code at this point. One of Jimmy Stewart's early roles. I love old humor that didn't rely on a punchline to get a laugh. This one still makes me laugh. I watched on BD for the first time and finally saw Dorothy McNulty's (Penny Singleton) freckles.

Rachael Bee, Karnak and carrick doone like this.
  5. carrick doone

It reads now like an episode of Mannix to me but that would be one great episode. You can see clearly where the television shows - even up to now - get the structure. Lots of talking head conversation, rebelling of authority and rooms with dead bodies in them. I agree it all was sort of new so it was refreshing then.

6. carrick doone

My favourite films from the 30s. Intelligent screwball comedy and a mystery.

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  7. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

The Dead Zone
    I somehow never saw this. I really enjoyed it.

8. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Senior Member

In The Heat Of The Night
    on the horribly-packaged Criterion Blu-ray
    [​IMG]
    Still a fantastic movie

9. changeling69

changeling69 WorldCitizen

This one's on my wishlist :)

Kaskade10729 likes this.
  10. changeling69

changeling69 WorldCitizen

2 giants together......Rod Steiger & Sidney Poitier :)

Grand_Ennui and Jimmy B. like this.
  11. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

12. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

The Call 2020 on Netflix - Korean film. Very well done horror movie

13. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Forum Resident

We Were Soldiers DVD. While watching this film last night I kept thinking of Edwin Starr's song War.

14. Kaskade10729

Kaskade10729 Forum Resident

Absolute classic. Scream did a great job remastering this; picture looks stellar pretty much throughout.

The sequels that have come and gone have been laughable -- and, perhaps what's worse, they were done by the same team, specifically Rusty Cundieff, director. :crazy:

changeling69 likes this.
  15. Kaskade10729

Gotta get this for the collection -- could never nab an always-out-of-print DVD version. Had it on VHS (taped off a channel, probably HBO).

changeling69 and Juggsnelson like this.
  16. Kaskade10729

17. Kaskade10729

18. JonW

JonW That's just the name of the shop, love!

Shane
    [​IMG]
    I know a lot of people love this film so all I will say is it was not for me.
    One interesting thing which might be intended or might be my imagination: when Swede Shipstead and his wife offer a toast to the Starretts on their 10th wedding anniversary, they appeared to resemble the "couple" (not a real couple I know) in the painting American Gothic.

Al Kuenster likes this.
  19. JonW

JonW That's just the name of the shop, love!

I'm interested in what you thought of the translations in the subtitles? One of the barriers to Tarkovsky for me as a non-Russian speaker is that as far as I can tell the subtitles are quite poor in his films. From what I remember of Solaris, I would not describe the language in the subtitles as "mundane, basic language" :laugh: Of course Solaris suffers doubly because the book is also not a good translation, as it was translated from a German translation (or possibly French, don't remember), not the original Polish.

rikki nadir likes this.
  20. rikki nadir

rikki nadir Gentleman Thug

I turned off the subtitles soon into watching because I found them an annoyance. I speak very basic Russian and found I could understand enough to follow things. Of course, it may be that I missed out on a lot of what was being said and did not even realise!

I will try and watch a few scenes with them on and report back.

JonW likes this.
  21. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

Phantasm (1978) - Couldn't resist upgrading my DVD with a $5 BD. Looks great and still totally entertaining.

22. Kaskade10729

Gotta get around to picking up the Phantasms; I recall the sequel always entertaining me....some pretty graphic ****, what with those chrome spheres drilling into heads and what not. And those gooey gnomes crawling out of the "spectral dimension" always freaked me out, too...

I know a lot of box sets have come and gone from the likes of Anchor Bay when they had the distribution rights to the franchise; was there ever a 4K set put out?

23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Conjuring -The Devil made Me Do It...

changeling69 likes this.
  24. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

Cruella. Thought it was OK. Very stylish and Emmas Thompson and Stone are both great! Mark Strong is underused. Not bothered if I never see it again, but I'll watch the sequel on the strength of this one. 6/10

25. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

Miracle Mile (1988)