Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Kaskade10729

Kaskade10729 Forum Resident

Oh forget it -- if this was released today, the world would lose its collective mind...there'd be riots....:sigh:

Your release probably is based on the Kino master, because I think all the releases -- down to MGM's own Blu-ray -- shares the basic elements for this transfer; unfortunately, the film still doesn't look that good in many places, such as those dark tunnel scenes where the blacks get somewhat foggy and bogged down with noise.

LeBon Bush likes this.
  2. The Pinhead

The Pinhead SUDACA ROÑOSO

Yeah well, comparisons aside, they're entertaining. He plays great badass characters.

3. Kaskade10729

He does indeed play great badass characters -- and that's what I loved so much about his performance in Taken (and perhaps Batman Begins); the problem is, I don't think the films since then were entertaining (just my opinion).

The Pinhead likes this.
  4. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

You bet! I think the artistic freedom of all the cinema "new waves" that happened in the 60s and 70s (and of which Pelham 123 with its grittiness and occasional cynicism is definitely a part of imo) has somewhat become lost. Some things that made these movies so special, beloved and influential would never fly today, which is sad.

Anyway, back on topic: it's definitely this master. Unlike Japan, France or of course the US and UK, we rarely get unique masters of foreign classic films (and if we do, chances are they are inferior to the other releases, as happened when La Vérité got out). And your impressions absolutely fit my copy. But well, definitely a huge step up from the abysmal MGM DVD.

changeling69 and Kaskade10729 like this.
  5. Kaskade10729

Some of the most memorable lines that exhibit this lack of PC-ism have to be those uttered by Hector Elizondo's character when he's addressing the Vietnam vet on the train ("Shut your mouth....and keep it shut!") as well as Matthau's hysterical insinuation later on about the transit chief...

Agreed; the non-anamorphic DVD was riddled with nasty aliasing whenever straight edges came into the scene (inside the trains looked pretty horrid as the chrome strips of seats and walls broke into jagged edges) as well as source noise that was simply amplified when the image was blown up to its proper 2.31 ratio.

changeling69 and LeBon Bush like this.
  6. The Pinhead

The Pinhead SUDACA ROÑOSO

What a PITA those are FFS ! Resolution in the wind when you resize them to fit your screen. Case in point lately : Slayer's ¨Reigning Blood Live¨. The last song is anamorph-locked, so I had to resort to blowing the overscan function on my TV to 100%, and it didn't manage to fill the screen. Oh well.

7. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

8. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

:uhhuh::uhhuh::uhhuh:

Damn yes, absolutely horrible. I still have a non-anamorphic nightmare DVD of "The Great Escape" (UK 1st edition). It's really time to replace that... thing.

changeling69 and Kaskade10729 like this.
  9. tvstrategies

tvstrategies Multicast is dead

Black Widow. Pointless. Awful. I went, so you don’t have to. Wish I could get those two hours back.

changeling69 likes this.
  10. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

"No Name on the Bullet" with Audie Murphy

11. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy

12. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over, My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Up In The Air
    Comedy-Drama directed by Jason Reitman, based on novel of same name.
    Starring George Clooney, Anna Kendrick & Vera Farmiga. Jason Bateman is also in film, in smaller, apparently uncredited, role.
    The story is centered on corporate "downsizer" Ryan Bingham (George Clooney) and his travels. Vera Farmiga, Anna Kendrick, and Danny McBride also star.
    [​IMG]

13. MikaelaArsenault

14. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

"Lady Bloodfight" (2016)
    A lady martial artist travels from the U.S. to Hong Kong in search of her long lost father. Along the way she meets up with a Ms. Miyagi type who trains her to compete in the "Kumite," a no-holds-barred fighting tournament against other female bad-asses. Needless to say, much butt is kicked.
    If this plot sounds familiar, it's probably because this is pretty much a gender-swapped retread of the Jean Claude van Damme oldie "Bloodsport." It may not be the most original movie to come along, but the fight sequences are impressively staged, with plenty of bone crunching, blood splashing ultra-violence. Better than I expected.

15. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

16. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

I liked that one. Sad that Gandolfini is no longer around.

sberger likes this.
  17. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

It was significantly better then I had hoped for, even with the fantastic cast.

And yes, I agree on Gandolfini. He died 6 months after release of this, and he looked like he was struggling in the movie. Nonetheless, he was excellent.

Juan Matus likes this.
  18. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Noteah duubee fah fah deanglo buuttar zeet! Yast!

19. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

The Pink Panther with Steve Marin has it's moments. It's fun watching Steve work.

20. nifticus

nifticus Well-Known Member

21. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Just watched again a few days ago . Very enjoyable as I find most of Clooney's movies.

LilacTeardrop and brownie61 like this.
  22. carrick doone

carrick doone Whhhuuuutttt????

Coda: The Death of Michael Corleone
    Third or fourth time watching Godfather 3 but the first time watching this version. I liked it much more. It is a better structured first part but sags like the original version in the middle. Turning the story into a financial / mobster plot movie is better. The restoration is beautiful and the edits are right. The trimming of Sofia's parts help her portrayal and Francis and the cinematographer lit her gorgeously. She looks beautiful every time she is on the screen. The edits make her first couple of scenes make sense in ways they didn't before for me.

23. MikaelaArsenault

The Stepford Wives (2004)

24. Kaskade10729

The biggest issue I'm running into is that we have some non-enhanced DVDs that were simply never made in anamorphic versions or ever released in high definition, and our current Panasonic UHD Blu-ray player doesn't offer a way to manipulate the aspect ratio of any film like the old Oppos and some other players did (the unit is locked in a widescreen-only output, which renders 4:3 content with side pillarboxing and non-anamorphic content with windowboxing all around it) -- case in point: The hysterical Christmastime comedy The Ref with Denis Leary and Kevin Spacey. This is only available on an ugly-looking non-enhanced region 1 DVD from Disney (which, knowing them, will never remaster and reissue this nor give the rights to another label like Shout or Kino to reissue it):

[​IMG][​IMG]

We have been rebuying all the non-anamorphic titles in our collection little by little because of this lack of ability in the Panasonic (on Blu-ray or widescreen-enhanced DVD if necessary) but it is becoming a major financial obstacle.

Rachael Bee and LeBon Bush like this.
  25. Kaskade10729