Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Indubitably!

Rachael Bee likes this.
  3. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Whight!

Michael likes this.
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Indeed! ; )

Rachael Bee likes this.
  5. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

6. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Forum Resident

Percy vs. Goliath. Solid film, though Christopher Walken did not sound much like a Saskatchewan canola farmer. Bad guys (Monsanto) were/are very bad (CF with Neil Young), the good guys were various shades of good to self-interested. Zach Branff is excellent in a serious role as an attorney whose a bit out of his depth, but is honest about his limitations, and wanting to get paid. He should get better roles just for his performance here

I know its based on a 'true story' but now I'm curious about how many creative liberties they might have taken.

changeling69 likes this.
  7. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

Sylvie's Love on Amazon - Liked it a lot.

changeling69 likes this.
  8. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

If you watch the extras there's a scene that changes the whole meaning of the film.

LilacTeardrop likes this.
  9. [​IMG]
    Sling Blade, director's cut. DVD.
    (Yes this should be on Blu-ray, more than just the rare Region B UK one)

I love this movie, it's meant a lot to me for years, and I kind of look at it as one a few sad/depressing/moving movies that me a lot personally to me - The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter, What's Eating Gilbert Grape (though I admittedly haven't watched that one in a couple of years at least), and later A Patch Of Blue added to these.

There are less than FIVE minutes left out of the theatrical version that I feel crucial and should have been left in:
    The two scenes I wish were left in and matter so much is, the one at 1:47-1:50, where we are introduced to Karen, the little girl Frank is crazy about; this gives SO much perspective on how he is viewed, by her, and their whole relationship, the unrequited feelings only deepening the horror he has to go through at home; the second scene is shortly after, at 1:55 in this, app., ending right before 1:57 - it is Frank and Karl talking about...Frank talking about how he pretends, makes believe, that Karen really loves him....how it feels good to pretend....and Karl sort of knows, though we don't know from when or exactly what - but the lonely - and the rejected - always need to dream, to pretend. I can relate deeply.

Brilliant movie.
    and a perfect follow-up to To Kill A Mockingbird! I think - besides Duvall actually being in this - that the clothes that Karl wears, were clearly influenced by my hero in To Kill A Mockingbird.

Hard to believe it's been 25 years since this came out.....

10. [​IMG]
    Gentleman's Agreement.
    1947. Great movie about and against anti-Semitism; directed by Elia Kazan
    starring Gregory Peck as a reporter who comes up with a new angle how to write about it;
    also with co-star Dorothy McGuire, and John Garfield (YES!), and Anne Revere (the mother of Jennifer Jones's character in The Song of Bernadette, of Montgomery Clift's in A Place In The Sun, etc)
    and Celeste Holm, who when I first saw her I thought "Wow...Joan Blondell looks really great here"....... (Odd....they don't look alike.)
    Celeste from All About Eve. Quite a cast....I see now that Dean Stockwell played Gregory's ("Phil's") son, Tommy!

[​IMG]

NickySee and Al Kuenster like this.
  11. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

12. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

"Gunpowder Milkshake" (2021)
    Netflix original. Karen Gillan of "Dr. Who" and "Jumanji" is an assassin-for-hire who becomes a target when she decides to save a little girl instead of complete her assignment. Basically a girl-power version of "John Wick," with lots of cartoonish ultra violence.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021 at 12:09 PM
  13. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Nightmare Sisters (1988) - Vinegar Syndrome blu-ray

The three most unpopular sorority sisters on campus have invited the three most unpopular frat brothers over for a party. There's awkward Twister, there's childhood stories complete with childhood pictures. Just when the guys are about to bail, the girls decide to have a seance. One of them bought a crystal ball earlier that day, after all. Well, wouldn't you know, the girls make contact with a disembodied head who then convinces the girls to grab the crystal ball and they are all possessed by a succubus. This makes them sexy, naked and horny, as one might expect. The guys are intrigued, yet fearful. Meanwhile, three more popular guys from the frat come over, tie up the nerd guys and attempt to score with the babes . . . and die, one by one. This is low budget, has some low budget acting and, may God have mercy on my soul, I found it pretty entertaining. The blu-ray includes the TV cut, in SD with lingerie replacing nudity. I think this may have shown on USA Up All Night. Not "good", but good times. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

changeling69 and keefer1970 like this.
  14. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

I LOVE this flick.

Al Kuenster and LilacTeardrop like this.
  15. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Forum Resident

Enemy Mine on FXMHD

felipezorro likes this.
  16. Kaskade10729

Kaskade10729 Forum Resident

17. Kaskade10729

Kaskade10729 Forum Resident

18. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Breathless (1959) So amazing I watched the second half again straight away. The documentary extra is even more amazing because nobody thought Goddard knew what he was doing and thought the film would never be shown. The jump cutting doesn't seem that extreme in 2021

19. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Kat and the Band (2020) A schoolgirl tricks a band into becoming their manager. Badly Drawn Boy plays himself.

20. [​IMG]
    A Child Is Waiting. (1962)

Al Kuenster and Mylene like this.
  21. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The Old Man and the Gun (2018). Robert Redford robs banks just for the thrill. Tom Waits co-stars.

Al Kuenster likes this.
  22. Rubberpigg

Rubberpigg Forum Resident

"Three Colours: Blue" directed by Krzysztof KieĊ›lowski.
    Pretty average to be honest.
    I won't be bothering with the rest of the trilogy.

23. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

"Whiskey Tango Foxtrot" (2016) - Tina Fey is a journalist embedded in Afghanistan in the early 00s. An engrossing dramedy based on a true story.

That's Mr. Foghat likes this.
  24. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

The Courier. No Hollywood ending here, very harrowing intense film with B.C. turning in a bravura performance.
    After some research, I found out that instead of adding facts to the real story, they would up deleting many things from the 'real; story', as the hero tended to paint himself as an almost super hero after the fact.

25. HenryH

HenryH Forum Resident