The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

“Free Guy.” I fell asleep twice, otherwise I guess they did OK with the high concept of a NPC coming to life. No surprises… At all. But I guess funny enough with its special effects. My son liked it and I didn’t mind it.

2. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Smash your watch! Then, you'll lose the madness that holds you back and you'll find the W of your dreams. To do otherwise is to risk an eternity of Ethel Merman nagging you.... it's 25 o'clock! ;)

Jimmy B. likes this.
  3. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

News Of The World - saw the latest from Tom Hanks on HBO. It's a Western and I felt it went slowly at times (I kept expecting Hanks to have a Forest Gump-type of drawl to his speech, didn't happen.) Hanks always plays a great hero but this guy is a little too much. For Hanks, I'd give it 6.5!

4. Thing Fish

Thing Fish “Jazz isn't dead. It just smells funny.”

‘Almost Famous’ For about the sixth time.
    It’s such a good film with great music and of course the beautiful Kate Hudson.

It’s my happy place film. Probably because it’s my era and Although not my country I can somehow relate to it. Probably because of the music.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
  5. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The Go-Gos (2020) Fantastic documentary about the all girl band that gravitated from the LA Punk scene. Unmissable!

6. JonW

JonW That's just the name of the shop, love!

Wasn't it 3 times in the original? That's inflation I guess... :laugh:

Pinknik likes this.
  7. JonW

JonW That's just the name of the shop, love!

Far from Heaven
    [​IMG]
    An (intentionally) artificial film in which some of the dialogue, acting, characters and characters' actions are all inspired by Douglas Sirk films from the 1950s. Nevertheless it has some thought-provoking and emotional moments. As these moments arose out of artifice, it caused me to wonder whether they were in any way "real". Of course that is a question that can be asked of any film, it is just more obvious with this one. I think of it together with Dirty Pretty Things that I saw last year: also thought-provoking and with an emotional ending despite a ridiculous plot. The world in Far from Heaven is, er, far from heaven indeed (for me, at least).

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    power popper and Al Kuenster like this.
  8. Platterpus

Platterpus Forum Resident

The Net (1995)

Al Kuenster likes this.
  9. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

The Thing Called Love (1993) - pleasant romance drama set to country music.

10. MAYBEIMAMAZED

MAYBEIMAMAZED Don't think Twice it's alright

The Graduate
    Had not seen this in years it's a good movie

11. John Lloyd

John Lloyd Forum Resident

Running Scared (1986)

That's Mr. Foghat likes this.
  12. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Forum Resident

The Bourne Identity DVD

13. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. I like music; I worship no musicians.

Imitation Of Life (1959)
    On Blu-ray, third time viewing the movie, must have been a year or two since the last time.
    I loved it first view or two; now just think it's okay. (Didn't like the first version of the film from 1934 on this the one time I saw it)
    Highly melodramatic, soap opera type film, a good message about/against racism but it requires some real suspension of disbelief I was having trouble with,
    and the score gets way too loud often, to tell you what feeling you're supposed to be having to some scene (I always hate that in movies)
    So it went down from a 10 for me to a 6 or 7, whatever.
    It's got some decent moments.
    The best moment for me is near the end when Mahalia Jackson sings.
    Starring Lana Turner with Juanita Moore, John Gavin, Sandra Dee, Robert Alda, etc etc. Those kids sure grew up fast - ten years passes in a blink in this.

Al Kuenster likes this.
  14. Jimmy B.

[​IMG]
    The Green Promise

Starring Natalie Wood (at the age of 10 or so) as Susan, one of four children being raised in fear by their tyrant father played by Walter Brennan.
    It's from 1949 and set on a farm. It would be considered an old-fashioned film. It doesn't have high ratings in most reviews on IMDB (6.4.).
    I loved it.

Note: one actress, Marguerite Chapman, was old enough to be Natalie's mother at the time - 30 years old, playing the eldest sister Deborah.
    Also
    I read afterward, and did not see it as described in one review despite NOT being edited, that this movie was where Natalie got her lifelong fear of water as she, when going out in the pouring rainstorm to look after her two lambs she loves so much in this film, falls on this bridge, it collapses - I didn't and still don't (re-checking) see her "nearly drown" as one review wrote, but you do see her reaching up, is all. She apparently broke her wrist during this scene, and it was never the same, for life.

Edit: Wikipedia's version:
    During the storm scene shot at Goldwyn Studios, Natalie Wood was supposed to run across a bridge, which would collapse into the torrent of water beneath, after she reached the opposite side. However, the stunt went wrong and the bridge collapsed while Wood was still on it. She fell into the water, banging her left wrist as she fell. Though she managed to pull herself back up, the young actress was shaken and her wrist was broken. The bone was not set correctly and healed so that it protruded from the wrist. She would thereafter disguise the protruding bone with a bracelet.

I saw this on TCM On Demand in HD; there are two different uploads on you tube where it can be seen for free now too.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
  15. Saintbert

Saintbert Forum Resident

Vertical Limit (directed by Martin Campbell, 2000). Three people get trapped trying to reach the summit of K2. The rescue effort involves a surprising amount of explosions and by the end of it, one might ask, was it worth it. Mathematically speaking, no, but since Peter's (Chris O'Donnell) sister Annie (Robin Tunney) never forgave him for rescueing her the first time, nothing is going to stop him from doing it again. Bill Paxton plays the businessman leading the unfortunate climbers, and as usual, you love to hate him.

I don't have the expertise to determine whether this film depicts mountain climbing 1,000 per cent true to life, but I am going to guess some liberties were taken. While not a high point of Martin Campbell's directing career (that would've been fitting), I enjoyed the film and its dizzying visuals.

Rachael Bee and Al Kuenster like this.
  16. Jimmy B.

[​IMG]
    The Mortal Storm (1940)
    Great film.
    Still unfortunately relevant and poignant today.

17. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

The Exorcist again. Max Von Sydow was 44 years old.

18. Kaskade10729

Kaskade10729 Forum Resident

We had a death in the family. Sorry for the delay in posting.

Start with this, which came in the mail; still don't know what to make of the story, aspect ratio or picture quality (my initial thoughts run to the 4:3 aspect ratio he chose for this is WAY too confining and distracting for the scope of the story):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Kaskade10729

20. Kaskade10729

21. Kaskade10729

22. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

"Student Bodies" (1981)
    A wheezing killer called "The Breather" murders horny high schoolers with paper clips, trash bags, and an eggplant (!) in this low budget, occasionally funny slasher-film parody that pre-dates the "Scary Movie" franchise by more than a decade. Not every joke lands, but there were enough cheap laughs to keep me entertained.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  23. Saintbert

Saintbert Forum Resident

I Come in Peace a.k.a. Dark Angel (directed by Craig R. Baxley, 1990). Dolph Lundgren plays a cop who doesn't play by the rules. He's assigned a straight-laced partner and what with all the intergalactic turf wars going on. Good golly.

A bit reminiscent of Predator 2 (which came out around the same time), it's an entertaining, unpretentious piece of urban sci-fi action. Very much of its time, but they don't make them like they used to, do they? Jan Hammer provides the score, in Miami Vice mode.

24. Kaskade10729

25. JWew

JWew Currently thinking of a clever Custom Title...

The Wailing on Tubi (note: had to manually turn on the subtitles). Incredible South Korean horror/mystery film - had me guessing till the very end (and what an ending it was)! I might have to add this one to my movie (physical media) collection.

Tim S likes this.