The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Ben Affleck's Live By Night

I knew it was a huge flop but I gave it a chance. A lot of money was spent on this and it does look great with some epic street shots and excellent art direction and cinematography. Very good support performances too. I feel sorry for all those who worked on the epic turkey. The BIG problem is Affleck himself who is like a showroom dummy, a cardoard cut-out, all the way through the film. Absolutely hopeless. The plot is boring and predictable.

Tokyo Ghost and alexpop like this.
  2. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

Thirst (2009) - Wickedly funny vampire flick from director Park Chan-wook starring Song Kang-ho (Parasite) as a vampirized Catholic priest.
    [​IMG]

Tim S likes this.
  3. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

The Pope of Greenwich Village with Mickey Rourke and an entertaining Eric Roberts. I liked it.

Al Kuenster likes this.
  4. AndrewK

AndrewK Forum Resident

Species (1995) - good sci fi thriller that I haven't seen in years. Sexy alien Natasha Henstridge trying to find a mate. Good cast also, Ben Kingsley, Forest Whitaker, Michael Madsen. Watching it again I also realized it's young Michelle Williams in it, and the lady from CSI Marg Helgenberger is also pretty good in it

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
    a customer, Saintbert and Al Kuenster like this.
  5. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

The Land Unknown (1957)

I have a real fondness for cheesy 50's Sci-fi/Horror and this one has quite a bit melted all over. I mean, the dino is a man in a corny suit (who actually gets a screen credit!). What's not to love? Did I mention the Gilligan's Island level man-eating plant? One of the actors said in a later interview that so much money went into the dino costume that they couldn't afford to film in color like originally intended.

6. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

King Of New York (1990) dir. Abel Ferrara on The Criterion Channel
    Good noir crime thriller starring Christopher Walken, Lawrence Fishburn, David Caruso, Victor Argo, and Wesley Snipes
    Good art direction and excellent cinematography
    [​IMG]

7. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

The Courier (2020) on Amazon. Pretty good

8. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Forum Resident

The Bourne Legacy BR

9. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

Very original movie, check it out.. :)

[​IMG]

10. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. A music lover who worships no musicians.

[​IMG]
    Call Northside 777.
    From 1948.
    After searching for a movie I hadn't seen (that I might like - there's millions I haven't seen) I came across this title, I'd heard of it before.
    Good movie.
    Based on a true story. *

There was just one problem with the overall movie I had
    It has two men convicted of the killing of a police officer from 10 years before, but focuses entirely on one of them. It has but one scene with the "second" man in it, and no focus on whatever happens to HIM at the end; at least at the end, it should have; I was surprised that it didn't.

I liked the performances and was surprised now to learn that it was originally planned for Henry Fonda to play Stewart's part, and for Lee J. Cobb to have been some other actor (Lloyd Nolan).
    I especially liked the scenes with Frank Wiecek's mother (Kasia Orzazewski) - Wiecek played by Richard Conte.
    Wikipedia has a list of who was based on who (major spoilers here, as in the whole movie): Call Northside 777 - Wikipedia

Edit: This movie also had Betty Garde (of the movie Caged, with Eleanor Parker) as Wanda Skutnik; and it also had a brief part by another cast member of 12 Angry Men, E.G. Marshall.

*with some fictional changes I just read about now.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
  11. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. A music lover who worships no musicians.

[​IMG]
    Sunset Boulevard.

Pinknik, Tim S, Rachael Bee and 2 others like this.
  12. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

The Rainmaker

Jimmy B. and Al Kuenster like this.
  13. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Bird Box--I heard Stephen King speak of this one in an interview, and although it has a ridiculous premise, it's handled pretty well and reminded me of one of his stories. NFLX streaming

The Mist series--I'd seen the movies some years ago, but the series takes it in a slightly different direction. Pretty interesting. NFLX streaming.

14. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Carnival of Souls (1962) which I liked a lot more than I thought I would, Atom Age Vampire (1960) an Italian film with a fairly nonsensical plot but interesting monster transitions, Nightmare Castle (1965) with the gorgeous Barbara Steele in another Italian horror flick involving murder and the dead coming back for revenge, The Terror (1963) with Boris Karloff and Jack Nicholson in a Roger Corman film that should not work at all (it had 4 or 5 directors and was written during production) yet somehow does.

Jimmy B., Jazzmonkie and steveharris like this.
  15. Thievius

That looks amazing and right up my alley. I'm definitely looking this one up.

Manapua likes this.
  16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Dude can’t act

17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

We Die Young ( 2019).

18. steveharris

steveharris Forum Resident

I heard good things about Carnival Of Souls.I am going to check it out.

Last night I seen Police Academy for the first time since it first was on cable tv.

Thievius likes this.
  19. Thievius

There's an ongoing debate as to whether Carnival of Souls is brilliant or makes no sense and is merely a poorly written movie. I haven't made up my mind yet. But its one of those films that sticks with you.

Pinknik, Jimmy B. and Jazzmonkie like this.
  20. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

I saw Atom Age Vampire as part of a Saturday matinee at the Hollywood Theatre in Mattydale. It scared the feces out of me.

Thievius likes this.
  21. Thievius

A couple more films I watched recently, within the last 3 or 4 days:

Bride Of Frankenstein (1935) - What can I say, its a classic. Still not sure if I prefer it to the original like (seemingly) everyone else, but it is a damn fine film. As usual, it ends rather abruptly and I just found the comic relief (Minnie, the old housekeeper) to be annoying. The Old Dark House (1932) - which still may be my favorite film of all time. Its not scary at all, but I love the atmosphere and I find it hysterically funny and very quotable. "YES! I should LOVE a potato." Karloff and his "Muh muh" dialog cracks me up, Ernest Thesiger as Horace Femm is the star of the show afaic, and Lillian Bond is an absolute babe. God I love The Old Dark House. "We have no beds! NO BEDS!"

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  22. Platterpus

Platterpus Forum Resident

Mystic River (2003)

Al Kuenster and The Panda like this.
  23. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

It's almost Shakespearean the way the bodies pile up

24. keef00

keef00 Forum Resident

Last night on Netflix I watched ZZ Top: That Little Ol' Band from Texas and finished my latest viewing of The Old Guard. Can't believe there was never a thread devoted to it here. It's a good one.

25. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Shang Chi...