The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

2. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

3. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

If you liked this invisible entertainment you need to see The Son Of The Invisible Man segment in Amazon Women On The Moon.

Thievius and Jimmy B. like this.
  4. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Malignant (2021) streams on HBO Max. I thought it was one of Wan's better films lately. It's sort of an updated giallo, slasher, mystery. With horror films I guess one should suspend their belief and expect a few plot holes, no exception here, but it was entertaining and done well.

Matt Richardson likes this.
  5. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

Cronos (1993) i watched it back then and i remembered that I liked it. I found it on HBOMax. I had forgotten it was directed by Guillermo del Toro and also that, as in many of his films, a small child plays a pivotal role. Ron Perlman takes a good turn as well.

Matt Richardson likes this.
  6. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Maniac Cop

Picked this up at the library. Never seen it before.
    80s flavoured junk.

7. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

8. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

The Invisible Man Returns (1940)

[​IMG]

Pales in comparison to the original, but its an interesting film nonetheless. Vincent Price is the eponymous protagonist, an innocent man accused of a crime who's injected by his scientist buddy in order to escape a death sentence. He slowly begins going mad and the buddy spends the rest of the film trying to create an antidote.

Price is so young that his voice is barely recognizable and we don't actually see him until the closing shot in the movie. That's not really a criticism, of course he's invisible through 99% of the film, but I didn't get much of Price's personality coming through. Though this was obviously an early role.

Speaking of which, I really liked the beginning of his transition back to normalcy, as seen below. The effect gets a little dodgy a few moments later, but still, this was 1939/40.

[​IMG]

Like I said its an interesting film, but it just cannot compare to the original. I like a lot of tbe camera work and effects, though.

9. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Forum Resident

Some Kind of Wonderful BR a John Hughes film.

10. Rachael Bee

Escape From Area 51 on BD. It's terrible! The bad alien, he can't act. The rest of the cast is mostly in the same saucer.... ;) It came with a soundtrack CD. I should listen to it soon. It's likely better than the movie.

Star Trek The Motion Picture on UHD-BD.... :thumbsup: V-ger loves you, this I know, all the satellites told me so....

11. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. A bird that can't fly.

[​IMG]
    Home From The Hill.
    A great movie.
    Looks a million times better than what I saw before.

12. Saintbert

Saintbert Forum Resident

Bad Lieutenant (directed by Abel Ferrara, 1992). A New York City police lieutenant (Harvey Keitel) takes and makes bets on baseball games. It doesn't exactly go to plan but he might just find salvation.

I'm ignorant about baseball and I abhor betting but I found the whole stream of madness, drugs and violence carried very efficiently by that flimsiest of plot points. The writing, pacing, acting and naturalistic style are all uncompromised and well executed.

unclefred, Purple Jim and Thievius like this.
  13. Thievius

The Uninvited (1944)

[​IMG]

Billed as a horror film, this is more of a fairly lighthearted drama with a whisp of paranormal activity (1940s style) thrown in. Starring Ray Milland as a man who buys a house with his sister (um, ok) at a bargain basement price. And no, not because its haunted but because the grandfather of the absolutely stunning Stella (Gail Russell) just wants to get rid of it as Stella's mother died 17 years prior by falling (suspiciously) off the cliff into the rocks and surf below. They move into the house and the ghostly sobbing of a woman opens a door to the mystery of the house, Stella, and her mother's death.

[​IMG]

I liked the movie but the convoluted script was all over the place. I mean, its designed to keep you guessing but it had me simply shaking my head at times. I really liked the effects they used for the ghost, hoever, it was well done and creepy. But a horror film this is not. Still, I'm glad I watched it.

14. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

15. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over, My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

August Rush
    Breathtaking, sweeping, musical drama/romance
    "Separated by events they could not control but bound by love and by music, three people search for what they lost and what will make their lives complete ... each other."
    [​IMG]

Exquisite film with skillful & spectacular performances by the cast, an earnest, emotionally moving story, beautiful score & soundtrack. There's not a wrong "note" in this outsanding film!! :):love: Probably about the 3rd, maybe 4th(?) time I've viewed it - I do tear up & cry quite a bit, not solely only @ sad scenes, but @ the beauty of the tale itself & the music. I don't watch it more often, b/c it's such a special film, I prefer to keep it so & not let it become overly familiar. It's one of my favorite films of all time. - Have given as gifts - those recipients have appreciated & loved it, as well.

16. Thievius

The Thing From Another World (1951)

[​IMG]

Decided to rewatch this as a refresher for the current "Thing" thread. Its a product of its time (boy, I say that a lot) and its not exactly action packed, but the constantly witty dialogue is amazing and kept me entertained the entire time.

I'm not sure I would classify this "Thing" as a horror movie, its more about the science and gets a little bogged down in that, but that's to be expected from an early film of this nature. I don't want to compare it too much to Carpenter's 1982 film, its entirely different. As a sort of reimagining of this film, Carpenter went a completely different direction using the 1951 Thing as inspiration to tell a different kind of story. They're just wildly different films.

[​IMG]

At any rate, this film is a joy to watch. It might be too slow for some, but the snappy dialogue is utterly fantastic and often funny. Such a great movie. I absolutely adore it.

17. Rachael Bee

All hail the celery alien in a bad mood!

Purple Jim and Thievius like this.
  18. steveharris

steveharris Forum Resident

Stand By Me and The Outsiders

19. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

20. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Just got my 4K discs for Vertigo and Rear Window.

Holy smokes. As blown away as I am by the picture--particularly Vertigo--the audio is probably even more impressive. Universal did a great job with these discs. Fantastic. I've never seen or heard them like this, even streaming in 4K. The video of Vertigo showing impressive detail and vibrant color shades and the audio of Rear Window such that every apartment has a discreet sound you can pick out is among the very best I've seen or heard. Just goes to show that quality has barely caught up to the classics.

21. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Forum Resident

A Place in the Sun BR

Jimmy B. and Rachael Bee like this.
  22. Rachael Bee

Star Trek The Wrath Of Khan Director's Cut on UHD-BD.... :thumbsup:

Al Kuenster and Grand_Ennui like this.
  23. Jimmy B.

[​IMG]
    The Third Man.
    HD stream.

Thievius, Rachael Bee and Al Kuenster like this.
  24. Jimmy B.

[​IMG]
    Anatomy Of A Murder (1959)
    Great movie.
    Starring James Stewart.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

25. Thievius

I watched a triple feature of garbage horror movies. Ok, maybe just plain 'bad' would suffice as a decent description. Though, some were worse than others.

The Attack of the Giant Leeches (1959) The middle worst of the three. The creatures were funny looking, so it (at least) provided me with 30 seconds of entertainment.

[​IMG]

The Screaming Skull (1958) The best of the worst. It at least had a coherent story and maybe it was scary in the late 50s, but mainly it was just dull.

[​IMG]

The Beast of Yucca Flats (1961) The absolute pits. Tbey didn't even record sound for this one. All ADR'd after the fact, and 95% of the dialogue is handled by a narrator. Only 54 minutes, but seemed like an eternity. I hope these filmmakers felt shame the rest of their miserable lives. Good lord, is this movie BAD.

[​IMG]

The heck with this, time to find something good to watch next because these three "films" have sucked away my reason for living. Well not really, but I do feel like taking a couple of showers. And possibly booking a session with a therapist.

Jimmy B., jason88cubs and Rachael Bee like this.