The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

2. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

From 1988, Patty Hearst. I thought it was well done. I remember all this stuff from the headlines of my teen years.

[​IMG]

Brickie and That's Mr. Foghat like this.
  3. jason88cubs

4. Staxus

Staxus Senior Member

Last Night.........
    [​IMG]

Brickie, Al Kuenster, Bhob and 6 others like this.
  5. jason88cubs

6. harmonica98

harmonica98 Forum Resident

'The French Dispatch' (2021) enjoyable if rather insubstantial.

7. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over, My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

8. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

[​IMG]

Mildred Pierce (1945): Well, I guess sometimes your family IS your worst enemy, huh? Almost too melodramatic in places, but overall a highly captivating watch.

[​IMG]

The Wedding March (1928): a.k.a. "Life's A B**ch: The Movie" :D the usual von Stroheim bleakness and excess. I love his movies, and this is no exception.

9. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

Halloween III: Season of the Witch

10. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

[​IMG]
    Still brilliant after all these years.

11. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Current operator of the Freedonia peanut stand

House on Haunted Hill (1959)
    Eat My Dust! (1976)

12. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Oooh yes :love:

13. Uncle Miles

Uncle Miles Wafting in and out of Forum

Affair In Trinidad blu ray
    Second time I’ve seen the film
    I like it, it’s almost a sequel to Gilda if not as good
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
    LeBon Bush likes this.
  14. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

[​IMG]

Blu-ray

Tajo1960 likes this.
  15. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

Al Kuenster likes this.
  16. Saintbert

Saintbert Forum Resident

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (directed by J. J. Abrams, 2015). In the seventh episode of the space saga, the evil Empire is reborn as the "First Order." They have assembled a weapon even deadlier than before. Meanwhile, a droid carrying secret plans ends up on a desert planet where it makes contact with a young woman destined to leave everything behind and become a hero.

It was my impression that this entry was popular because it was familiar. Watching it, I was shocked - and unimpressed - at just how familiar. It's all very well done but it doesn't sit right with me. Watching the prequel trilogy recently, I saw worse films and worse performances if I were to rate them mechanically, but they left me with wonder and wanting to explore their ideas. Maybe I'm missing something but seeing this one feels like I've seen it all before. I am more excited about whatever comes next that maybe disappointed some viewers and hopefully gave them something they weren't expecting, because I am going to plow on.

Al Kuenster and Bhob like this.
  17. Jeff Minn

Jeff Minn Senior Member

Old (2021)

Tajo1960 likes this.
  18. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. A music lover.

[​IMG]
    Father Goose (1964).
    I just wanted to see a Leslie Caron movie (I started to watch Daddy Longlegs but - maybe another time, I don't know)
    After a bit I didn't think I would like this at all (some things are rather dated, in the worst [wartime] way), but I wound up enjoying this.
    (I'm almost sure I saw it as a kid, it's one of those movies for me - I just knew the name.)
    Cary Grant's comic timing was (still) very good in this.

[​IMG]

Tajo1960, Al Kuenster and Bhob like this.
  19. Philip Airtime

Philip Airtime A Shiver in the Dark When You Call My Name

David Cronenberg's Maps to the Stars (2014).

Tajo1960 and brownie61 like this.
  20. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. A music lover.

[​IMG]
    Cast Away (2000)

[​IMG]

21. Saintbert

Saintbert Forum Resident

Rogue One (directed by Gareth Edwards, 2016). In this prologue to the original Star Wars trilogy, rebels fight among themselves and attempt to get hold of the Death Star plans.

I criticized The Force Awakens for feeling overly familiar, but it's not a problem I have with this one. While its designs are familiar, the story elements are original enough to me in respect of the film series and the characters don't feel like second rate versions of characters already in the series*. That said, the same kind of story could be placed in any war, a real one too. It's fairly grounded, and that's a bit different and it's good.

*) except of the ones that literally are and I didn't need to be taken to the uncanny valley and I don't think the film needed that.

Al Kuenster likes this.
  22. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

I never really knew much about John Otway other than he was an English eccentric who had had a couple of hits years ago and a maintains a small but fiercely loyal fanbase. So when I saw this on my Netflix recommendations I decided to have a look. Very pleased that I did! It's fascinating! I had no idea what sort of a guy he is, but now I love him!

[​IMG]

23. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

"Famously Haunted: Amityville" (2021)
    Tubi's latest stab at original programming is another in depth look at the infamous Long Island house and its history of murder and supposed hauntings. There's nothing here that hasn't already been covered in dozens of other Amityville docs, but I've been fascinated by this story since I was a kid so I'll always take time to watch new stuff on it.

"Madhouse" (aka "There Was a Little Girl," 1981)
    A woman's insane twin sister escapes from the looney bin and starts picking off all of her sibling's friends, leading up to a sinister "birthday celebration" at the climax. This Italian slasher flick has lots of slow burning atmosphere and legit gore, but numerous plot holes nearly derail the big finale. I've seen better Spaghetti horrors but I've also seen lots worse.

"Citizen X" (1995)
    Made-for-HBO dramatization on the ten year hunt for Andrei Chikatilo, aka "The Rostov Ripper," a Russian serial killer who murdered more than fifty women and children in a rural areas of the USSR before he was finally caught. Essentially, a Soviet "Silence of the Lambs," a bit dry and talky in spots but I just finished reading a book about this case so it was cool to revisit this movie afterward.

24. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

25. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Forum Resident

Over the weekend I watched The Endless (2018) which is a sci-fi / horror film by the same writer/director team who did the movie I mentioned upthread called Resolution. The stories of the two movies kind of connect with each other, and both are pretty fascinating films that do a lot with a limited budget.

I also watched a horror film last night called The Dark And The Wicked (2020). Despite being a bit of a slow burn, this movie really unsettled me and has stuck with me a day later. Probably one of the better horror films I've seen since Hereditary.