The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Forum Resident

Star Trek Wrath of Khan Director's Cut BR 4K UHD.

2. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

3. vapor minor

vapor minor Just don't...

Lovely movie. I’ve wanted to watch it for over 30 years, I kid not.
    It was regularly aired on German TV in the early 90s but I always missed it… should’ve programmed the VCR.

JonW and Tim S like this.
  4. jason88cubs

5. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

The Snake Girl and the Silver Haired Witch (1968) - This probably gave nightmares to a lot of kids in Japan. I'm constantly surprised at how well Japanese filmmakers use the widescreen format. Just released on home video for the first time.
    [​IMG]

6. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

One of my all-time favorites! Hilarious in a very non-western way that really works. Great film.

Jazzmonkie, JonW and vapor minor like this.
  7. Kaskade10729

Kaskade10729 Forum Resident

8. Kaskade10729

9. Kaskade10729

10. JonW

JonW That's just the name of the shop, love!

I am on a 30 year quest for A Taxing Woman! :laugh:

vapor minor likes this.
  11. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

Love me tender...
    [​IMG]

changeling69 and Al Kuenster like this.
  12. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

[​IMG]

Smoke (1995): I love me these slice-of-life movies where seemingly very little happens while you really get to know the characters on screen and spend some two hours with them. So that's why I have wanted to watch this for years and when I did so today, it absolutely didn't disappoint. I loved the performances, the dialogue, the setting and the soundtrack. It's sad that warm-hearted movies like this very rarely get made today, where so many films either feel the need to be dead serious and/or tragic or choose to be extremely cynical.

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  13. changeling69

changeling69 WorldCitizen

14. Nick Drake fan

Nick Drake fan Forum Resident

15. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Topaz-- 1969
    I actually liked it just a little better than Torn Curtain.....To me a good film..
    I'm sure it could of benefited from star power if they had used some big name actors, but I wouldn't say it suffers from not having them.

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  16. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Forum Resident

Aftermath BR starring Arnold Swarzenegger
    Star Trek The Search for Spock BR 4K UHD

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  17. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. I'd forgotten all about the bit before Hogwarts. Slitheren were robbed!!!

18. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. A music lover.

[​IMG]
    Gentleman's Agreement (1947)
    Gregory Peck, Dorothy McGuire (I started to watch my beloved A Tree Grows In Brooklyn and thought of this),
    with John Garfield, Anne Revere, and Celeste Holm (who reminds me in this of Joan Blondell for some reason).

Great movie, and for me John Garfield - who is less of my favorite movies than Peck (Roman Holiday, To Kill A Mockingbird, The Big Country) -
    his performance was just far more moving for me than Peck's, who is absolutely fine. (as usual)

A reporter pretends to be Jewish in order to cover a story on anti-Semitism, and personally discovers the true depths of bigotry and hatred.

An important film - as there always has to be a SCAPEGOAT, for some. People are nice to you til you til you find out you're the person they've been taught to HATE.

19. jason88cubs

20. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

Riders of Justice. It was OK, but I'm not sure what the fuss is about to be honest. I enjoy Mads Mikkelsen in pretty much anything, but he's in far better movies than this that didn't get as much praise. 'Green Butchers' for instance. Can't recommend that one enough if you haven't seen it.

21. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. A music lover.

[​IMG]
    Pinky (1949)
    Unlike the other Elia Kazan movie I saw this night (which I'd seen a few times, always liked it),
    this I'd only seen once before and that time simply couldn't suspend my disbelief
    when it came to believing that Jeanne Crain was black (or "colored," as used in the movie).
    She's simply too fair-skinned.
    [​IMG]
    Putting that aside (and that's a BIG thing to put aside),
    the story itself is quite good, the acting of hers, of Ethel Waters, and Ethel Barrymore's, are all quite good.
    I saw also that before I saw The Night of The Hunter and got used to seeing Mrs. Spoon, played by Elva Varden, I had seen the actress here, and also in The Bad Seed.
    I had forgotten that.

Anyway I think this is a decent anti-racist film, despite the problem of having to sort of "shut out" of my mind the fact that Jeanne Crain does not look like she had a black mother or father.
    This movie never once shows a picture of either of them, or says if one of them was white or not. Not once.
    This is no To Kill A Mockingbird, nor is it one of the better Elia Kazan movies I've seen, but it's pretty good, I thought this time.

Both Lena Horne and Dorothy Dandridge were interested in playing the role of Pinky.[3][4] In the end, Jeanne Crain was chosen. Elia Kazan, who assumed directing duties when John Ford was fired, was unhappy with the casting choice, and later said, "Jeanne Crain was a sweet girl, but she was like a Sunday school teacher. I did my best with her, but she didn't have any fire. The only good thing about her was that it went so far in the direction of no temperament that you felt Pinky was floating through all of her experiences without reacting to them, which is what 'passing' is."[5]

(Me, I would have been happier, or more able to believe the other choices, as being a black woman. And I know I like Lena Horne.)

Al Kuenster likes this.
  22. mBen989

mBen989 Forum Resident

23. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. A music lover.

well,
    I finished up a DVD I started to watch two nights ago but got too tired to watch much of.
    [​IMG]
    Cabin In The Sky (1943).
    A lot different than watching Inherit The Wind which I figured if I watched a third movie it would be.
    Lena Horne is something else in this.
    Eddie Anderson really couldn't carry a tune.
    I got this a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnng time ago after seeing it on TCM and meant to watch it sooner but never did (I gotta watch my Stormy Weather Blu-ray sometime while I'm still alive, I guess)
    A good movie, musical, with one of those PC disclaimers at the beginning:
    "we present this blah blah blah to deny that society was this way blah blah blah ignoring history ibbity bibbity sab" (i.e. "We're not racist! Don't write us or bother us about this movie if you're stupid enough to be offended!")
    Decent film, some fun in it. Love that Lena... (who should have been in Show Boat in '51 as well, and in...Pinky, oh yeah...)

[​IMG]
    God she was so gorgeous....

Jazzmonkie and Fabrice Outside like this.
  24. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I had never seen Little Big Man till last night's BD viewing. Wow, what a trip! This film must have been a huge inspiration for Forest Gump...??? Dustin Hoffman was the gump of the west. The story of native Americans and Custer collide like an asteroid striking a planet. Wow! :edthumbs:

Jimmy B., Tim S, Borgia and 2 others like this.
  25. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

"Arena" (1989) low budget sci-fi set on a space station in the year 4083, where a young Earthling trains to take part in "Arena," an inter-galactic fighting competition that hasn't been won by a human in fifty years.
    Essentially it's "Rocky" set in outer space. For an obviously low budget production, the movie has a lot of weird/cool looking aliens and creatures in it and it's fun to watch the lead slug it out with them. Harmless fun.