1. This day in history: January 12, 2002. 9:49 AM, California time. The Steve Hoffman Music Forums officially launched with this thread. Thank you for 20 years of music, discussion, and great memories! Join our "Thank You!" thread, and we'll see you in the forum!
    Dismiss Notice

The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. [​IMG]
    Harold and Maude (1971)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A near-perfect movie, but for one thing...
    When he tells his mother he's getting married, and shows her this card (either two pictures taped together, or maybe two cards in plastic?) she first sees the picture of the sunflower, but then he tells her to turn it over, and before she does we see an upside-down image of a man with a beard! She then says "You can't be SERIOUS!" - she's supposed to be talking about Maude but all the while it's a photo of some man in a beard that she's looking at. They couldn't afford to have a photo of Maude, of Ruth Gordon, put on there? They couldn't do that?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
    mBen989, Claus LH, Klavier and 5 others like this.
  2. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

3. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

4. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

A Face In The Crowd (1957; Criterion Blu Ray): Very chilling in places. Andy Griffith's lead performance was absolute perfection! Could've done without the romantic subplot, though.

Ziegfeld Girl (1941): Out of the three plot lines, only Judy Garland's story made sense for the film's progress, at least that's how I felt. But the great cast (Lana Turner and James Stewart as an on-off couple? Sure, why the hell not!) and excessive dance choreographies more than made up for the paper-thin plot. Not something I need to revisit soon, but definitely recommended if you're into these 1930s and 40s MGM musicals.

De-Lovely - The Cole Porter Story (2004): Overly episodic structure recounting the life and death of a true songwiriting legend. Definitely came for the songs, though, and was not disappointed.

Hanna Amon (1951): A totally f****d-up mashup of german "Heimatfilm" and film noir by the infamous Veit Harlan. Incest, egyptian mythology, catholic symbolism, surreal dream sequences, murder, death by freezing, ridiculously over-the-top b**chfights, music that would make Wagner blush - you name it. It's all in here, this glorious mess of a movie. Amazing. Just absolutely amazing.

The Palm Beach Story (1942): I could die for dialogue this good in films. From the first second to the last, this shows why Preston Sturges is seen as a master of the comedy genre. Should be much better known in my neck of the woods.

Great Freedom No. 7 (1944): This musical romance by Helmut Käutner was originally intended as a piece of propaganda by Joseph Goebbels, but Käutner didn't give in and shot a stunningly human, realistic-seeming story of an aging sailor who falls in love with a former love affair of his recently deceased brother. The sailors are no typical "german heroes" from propaganda films, they cry over lost loves, they drink, they fight and they swear a lot. This caused the film to be banned until the end of the war, after which the allied occupation forces allowed it to be released in the reopened cinemas. And the rest is history: nowadays, this is considered a big classic, particularly in Hamburg, where the film's plot is set. And its melancholic atmosphere makes the film truly special.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
    Morpheus, Jimmy B., Claus LH and 2 others like this.
  5. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

"Solaris" (1968) (Nirenberg) (DVD)

Before Tarkovsky, before Soderberg, there was this almost unknown version done by Soviet TV.

Watching this is truly like an experiment on the viewer's part.
    If you are used to the serene beauty of Tarkovsky's images, coming to this is like shock treatment, a case of having to "watch past" all the flaws and differences, yet still trying to connect to the same story.

The production was shot "as live" in a studio, with B/W tv cameras, threadbare sets and very little else.
    It's rough going at times. You are aware of camera shots being re-set at the last moment, and the creaking of the dollies is on the sound track fairly often.
    The Advanced Technology the astronauts are supposed to have available consists of oscilloscopes on tables and, very possibly, a huge theatre spotlight having its acting debut.
    Altogether, the technical quality is more like mid-50es American live TV drama than 1968, but one forgives...

It's evident the actors invested themselves in their parts. Even with bland direction and in cheap surroundings, they cut distinct figures.
    Vasiliy Lanovoy is not bad as Kris Kelvin (although he tends to go a bit silent-movie in his reactions when upset.)
    Vladimir Etush is the best of the bunch, as Snaut. Brutish, yet with compassion, you remember his work afterwards.

So how is it as a 'film'?
    One saving grace is that Lem's story is inherently about the mind, about interior things, so the total collapse from widescreen/color to very tight, fuzzy B/W imagery is not quite as much of a disaster as it could have been.
    The takeaway is that the story still grabbed me, despite everything. It's not a disc you would invite anyone except a film nut to sit down and watch, but it is interesting.

The English subs on the DVD are weirdly translated and full of errors, and sometimes blocks of text cover almost half the screen.
    The transfer looks like a worn 35mm kinescope print, so you get the worst of all worlds: blooming tv tubes in the original, scan lines from the kinescope, and scratches in the 35mm.
    The sound, to be positive, has a pleasant low-mid oomph to it; it ain't Hi-Fi, but it beats being tinny.

It may be forgotten, but it's at the very least an interesting historical artifact. Stanislaw Lem most likely hated this one as well (he loathed both film versions of his story.)

[​IMG]

6. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

Jumped back into my "Watch the James Bond series in order" marathon, after letting it go for a few months... watched both Timothy Dalton installments (The Living Daylights and Licence to Kill) and the first two Pierce Brosnans (GoldenEye and Tomorrow Never Dies) over the past few days.

7. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Mama--HBO Max, produced by Guillermo del Toro and has a bit of his touches. Sort of a dark fantasy or horror. Overall I enjoyed it about two sisters that get lost in the woods, but when brought back to society seemed to have changed. That's not a good description, but it's better to not know much about the film, and just enjoy it.

8. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Stayed up till 2AM last night watching an old 50's film noir movie for the first time titled "Twenty Plus Two" with David Janssen.

Never have I seen such a slow paced detailed unfolding detective style plot line that held my attention with no violence, gun play or fist fights. I just couldn't pull away from it because Jansen casually in his gruff voice and laid back demeanor investigates and hunts down lost heirs to fortunes from family members who have passed on and don't know the whereabouts of next of kin. Best movie written in a way that makes it easy to remember all the character's names involved in the plot.

There's a love story mixed in that Janssen makes quite believable in pursuing a woman he's convinced is from a past relationship while stationed in Tokyo during WWII. That scene is very surprisingly well written as the woman he's pursuing makes no bones about her being a lady of the evening/entertainer companion and wants to be paid for just talking to Janssen's character as an army Lieutenant . Their conversations are shockingly honest and delicately well acted from what I'ld expect from that time period.

Sticking with this slow paced but well written movie told me why such a stop shelf actress as Agnes Moorehead decided to be a cast member in what appears to be a B-movie.

Twenty Plus Two - Wikipedia

9. Kaskade10729

Kaskade10729 Forum Resident

10. Kaskade10729

11. Kaskade10729

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

changeling69 and Rachael Bee like this.
  12. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Belfast. Excellent, tho I think I missed 25% of it from the accents.

Hinds and Judy Densch almost steal the film. Some great Van songs on the soundtrack. (But be warned if you're a stickler, only a few songs actually belong to 'the time period' of the movie)

changeling69 likes this.
  13. RickH

RickH Senior Member

Edge-of-your-seat psychological horror streaming on Hulu

changeling69 likes this.
  14. [​IMG]
    The Blue Gardenia (1953).
    Got this lost Fritz Lang gem in the mail 2 days ago, just watched it now.
    Had seen it before on Prime a few days before that, posted on here.
    Love Anne Baxter in this.
    (Sothern is very beautiful, last time I wondered why she - I was thinking of Ann Sheridan, got mixed up)

Great movie - this should really be on Blu-ray.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
  15. easyge

easyge Forum Resident

Birdman on Blu Ray. Very good show. Not familiar with the director, but I liked his style. Using Antonio Sanchez for the drumming soundtrack is just great.

16. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Missing In Action (1984)
    [​IMG]

Juggsnelson and Al Kuenster like this.
  17. jason88cubs

18. [​IMG]
    Sudden Fear (1952).
    One of the greatest suspense movies EVER!!!!!!!!

:)

changeling69 and Fabrice Outside like this.
  19. jason88cubs

20. [​IMG]
    North By Northwest (1959)
    Still great fun!
    Incredible cinematography, Eva Marie Saint, etc....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
  21. changeling69

changeling69 WorldCitizen

What d'ya expect with 2 great icons of cinema....Jack Palance and Joan Crawford :):)

Jimmy B. and jason88cubs like this.
  22. Kaskade10729

23. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I recorded Igby Goes Down off DirecTV. It was sardonically funny!

24. Kaskade10729

25. Kaskade10729