1. This day in history: January 12, 2002. 9:49 AM, California time. The Steve Hoffman Music Forums officially launched with this thread. Thank you for 20 years of music, discussion, and great memories! Join our "Thank You!" thread, and we'll see you in the forum!
    Dismiss Notice

The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

A couple of Austrlian films

Newsfront (1976) Multi award winning film about news cameramen working between World War II and the Melbourne Olympics.Almost every actor working in Australia at the time got a part in this.
    Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975) On Valentine's Day 1900 three schoolgirls and a teacher go missing on a school outing. When I saw this at school I thought it was boring but, seeing it again, the first hour is just about perfect. Bruce Smeaton's score sounds exactly like Genesis.
    Sunday Too Far Away (1975) Jack Thompson plays a gun shearer (a ringer)

changeling69 likes this.
  2. changeling69

changeling69 WorldCitizen

My fav are the first 2 you mentioned. Picnic at HR is my absolute fav and P. Weir did a really amazing job in depicting a VERY true story, despite what ignorant people think about it. It really happened and the author of the book the movie is based on stated there was a missing chapter which reveals the source of the event and confirms the truth....only that researchers are struggling to find this missing chapter. Did you know this ??

Mylene likes this.
  3. Warzawa

Warzawa The Starman

4. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

5. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

A documentary movie on Netflix entitled, “The Alpinist”. It is the story of Marc-Andre LeClerc, the solo climber and alpinist.

6. changeling69

changeling69 WorldCitizen

Like it or not, film of the year :)

Warzawa likes this.
  7. Steve Minkin

Steve Minkin Senior Member

[​IMG]

The Tragedy of Macbeth --
    the new Joel Coen film starring Denzel Washington and Francis McDormand. The couple is much older than most Macbeths and are played somewhat cooler if no less intense. The film is in black and white with odd, depersonalized sets, long featureless corridors, unadorned angular rooms, stark corners of fortresses, all of which generate feelings of isolation, disorientation, and claustrophobia. The film's opening is absolutely sensational, featuring the marvelous Kathryn Hunter (Puck in Julie Taymor's Dream) contorting herself into startlingly grotesque postures and movements, she commands the screen whenever she's on. Stephen Root as the Porter provides another small but delicious performance. The play as a whole is cut even more than usual, but the Macbeths' key speeches are all intact and powerfully delivered. Overall -- quirky, limited, but most definitely worth seeing for its memorable high points.

Jazzmonkie and brownie61 like this.
  8. Saintbert

Saintbert Forum Resident

Castle in the Sky a.k.a. Laputa: Castle in the Sky (directed by Hayao Miyazaki, 1986). A boy meets a girl fallen from sky. Soon they have the military and pirates after them, all trying to find the way to the mythical castle in the sky.

I don't watch a lot of animated films and I find it hard to keep my interest up but I am trying to educate myself. My favourite thing about this one is the Joe Hisaishi soundtrack with its romantic piano and synthesized orchestrations. I enjoy the sound design in general, and the way it's often sparse and quiet with just the sound of wind or whatever.

What's strange is that while I watched it in Japanese, I briefly checked out the English audio that has Mark Hamill as the antagonist. I noticed immediately that it has music in places where the Japanese audio has none! Looking into it, apparently the whole score was rearranged for the North American release. So whether you watch it in English or Japanese the language isn't necessarily the biggest change. Given that the (original) music and the sound design is the film's greatest charm for me, it could have been a completely different experience.

9. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

Coup de Torchon (1981) - Protagonist with the worst passive-agressive behavior I've ever seen.
    [​IMG]

vapor minor and Fabrice Outside like this.
  10. Kaskade10729

Kaskade10729 Forum Resident

LOVE this film; never ceases to make me crack up.

One of the funniest moments is when the Ritchie character is sitting in the bar talking to Sunshine, and he's so flustered around her he goes "Sure, I'd like to be my friend -- uh, be your friend.....what's you name, darling there?"

LMAO....

11. Kaskade10729

12. Kaskade10729

13. Warzawa

Warzawa The Starman

I thought it was good, def can tell it was a type of parody but It kept my attention, especially Jennifer Lawrence going on about the General oh and the post credit scene too LOL

changeling69 likes this.
  14. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

The Last Duel on UHD-BD. I liked the story despite it being a bit repetitive on several things. I really liked how it laid out the male chauvinism and religious pseudoscience of the 14th century. Mel Brooks came to mind during the film. "It's good to be the king". That was a running joke in History Of The World Part 1. It was displayed as the absolute truth in this dark age! The duel itself was exciting.

15. Fabrice Outside

Fabrice Outside Forum Resident

A nice bunch of cynical characters if I remember correcly

16. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

To put it mildly. :D

17. Fabrice Outside

Fabrice Outside Forum Resident

Those Blu ray captures make me want to pass :D

18. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

"Mr. Jones" (2019)

This afternoon on Amazon Prime

Based on the true story of Welsh journalist, Gareth Jones who travelled to Moscow in 1933 in an attempt to interview Stalin. Whilst there he heard rumours of famine in Ukraine and travelled there, at great risk, to witness itself for himself. He then attempted to break the news of this Holodomor to the western world.

I thought it an excellent film, interesting plot, strong cast and fine cinematography.

“The price of truth”: The story behind Agnieszka Holland’s “Mr. Jones”
    Gareth Jones (journalist) - Wikipedia

vapor minor likes this.
  19. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

Lola (1961). I didn't think I would like "A woman like that" but I did.
    [​IMG]

20. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I don't know why it took me so long, but I finally saw Yesterday. I thoroughly enjoyed it,

rmath84 and Rachael Bee like this.
  21. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

22. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Forum Resident

All About Eve BR (Criterion)

23. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

Vivre Sa Vie. I'll watch anything with Anna Karina but not a favorite:

[​IMG]

Godard can be ... wordy but he points in the right direction:

[​IMG]