1. This day in history: January 12, 2002. 9:49 AM, California time. The Steve Hoffman Music Forums officially launched with this thread. Thank you for 20 years of music, discussion, and great memories! Join our "Thank You!" thread, and we'll see you in the forum!
    Dismiss Notice

The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

2. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

3. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Duel (1971)
    Project X (1987)

jason88cubs likes this.
  4. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

Harmonium (2016 - Japanese)

Watched this tonight on Asian Crush. although I think it's also available for free on Amazon Prime.

Understated little drama about a Japanese couple who come to terms with a past crime. Very moody but keeps one's attention. Recommended if you can handle subtitles.

[​IMG]

5. Fabrice Outside

Fabrice Outside Forum Resident

Once upon a time, Tim Burton had good stories...

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  6. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. No friends, no help, nothing.

[​IMG]
    The Pajama Game (1957).
    My first time seeing the whole movie, got this over half a year ago by mistake, couldn't get far then.
    This time I liked one scene very much (if only the whole movie could have been like it), and another scene (I should say "song" in both cases) I liked.

I loved the Hernando's Hideaway scene/number. That alone got me to put this with my other Blu-rays as part of my collection. I liked Hey There - when Doris sang it, not the horrible annoying male lead. I didn't like him, couldn't STAND him. He's terrible, to put it mildly. I couldn't stand him.

And then there's a subplot of some NUT who throws KNIVES at his wife, trying to kill her out of jealousy - was this supposed to be FUNNY?!? A total psychotic?!? A lunatic, prone to insane pathological violence?!??? And he tries to kill the annoying male lead too, the one who winds up being the assistant whatever at the stupid pajama factory where they're all striking for seven and a half cents raise.
    That guy throwing knives was really sick.

Back to good, I like the actress in this who played Chickadee Laverne on the Beverly Hillbillies, and who was in Pal Joey too. - looked her up, Barbara Nichols. Oh yes she was GREAT in Sweet Smell Of Success........
    Whew not an easy movie to watch overall.....

Hernando's Hideaway was awesome.

Oh there was one scene where Doris Day was singing sadly about love while on her bed, and the lighting suddenly went orange tinted - then I noticed a thing outside her room, straight in perfect view, with an orange light on! How CHEAP! (Before it was a green one above it. Bizarre to see this)

Basically I watched this cause I saw Shirley MacLaine in Gambit last night and read that she got her break in a Broadway version of this, replacing Carol Haney, so I gave it another try.
    It's still not a good movie or musical but has a couple moments I liked - and Barbara Nichols.
    That's about it.

First "humorous" bit with the knife thrower:
    [​IMG]

The woman the knife throwing psychotic "loves," hiding from him (he misses and hits a mannequin; later he hits the wall with these big knives while trying to kill jerkface, who may have been annoying but didn't deserve DEATH for that).
    [​IMG]
    and lastly, the most unlikable leading man in any musical I've ever seen:
    [​IMG]
    Oh - his name was John Raitt. Whatever. He sucked ***.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022 at 3:08 AM
  7. jason88cubs

8. jason88cubs

9. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

10. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over, My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Broadcast News
    Rom-com, drama
    William Hurt, Holly Hunter, Albert Brooks, Joan Cusack

[​IMG]

Never viewed it before, though certainly aware of it. Never been very crazy about either of the male leads, but I've warmed a bit to Wililam Hurt (he's always seemed bland, a bit like stale white bread, so can't say I've seen much of his work) & can tolerate Albert Brooks' neuroticism on occasion, so figured I'd give it a go. I liked it, thought performances were good (I don't think I've ever seen Holly Hunter turn in a bad one!) - not the greatness that I think has been attributed to it, though. 3.5/5

Al Kuenster likes this.
  11. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Cat On a Hot Tin Roof and How Green Was The Valley on DVD.

12. jason88cubs

13. Nodrog96

Nodrog96 Forum Resident

Dean Stockwell as a grizzled Sheriff. Some fun interaction between the locals and the rather undynamic lead actor and not too bad CGI for 2000. Even fooled me for a few minutes at the beginning that it may actually have been filmed in Maine when, of course, it was actually British Columbia masquerading as the pine state.
    [​IMG]

14. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

everybody wants some!!

15. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

16. friend74

friend74 Forum Resident

17. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

18. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

The Nightingale (2018)
    [​IMG]

19. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

Cadillac Records (2008) on Netflix
    One of my favorite biopics, near and dear to my heart, aside from the fake guitar playing, and much mumbled dialog. Good portrayals by a strong cast, including Adrian Brody as Leonard Chess, Jeffrey Wright as Muddy Waters, Columbus Short as Little Walter Jacobs, Mos Def as Chuck Berry, Eamonn Walker as Howlin' Wolf, and Beyoncé Knowles, who kills it as Etta James.

[​IMG]

20. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

More Australian films

Money Movers (1978) Some guys at a security firm are planning a robbery but hear some other thieves are out to rob the place so have to get their act together, Violent film with lots of nudity directed by Bruce Beresford (Breaker Morant) . One problem is the plan for the robbery is full of holes and coincidence so no one would have actually be stupid enough to try it

Mad Max (1979)~ Every film in this box set is really well remastered (you can tell how well by comparing the film to the trailer) but this looks and sounds terrible. Worth seeing for the car chases and the violence but if you want to hear dialogue or understand the plot find another source. Awful score by Brian May (Gallipoli)

21. goat65cars

goat65cars Jerry A Great Dog We Miss You RIP 2002 To 2020

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022 at 12:42 AM
  22. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Short film

Watch “ADAM | Full movie” on Vimeo:

23. guitargal

guitargal Forum Resident

The Crawling Eye

This actually was pretty good - an old sci fi flick I think I watched as a child - but it totally held my attention now. Even in b&w.

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  24. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. No friends, no help, nothing.

[​IMG]
    Brother Orchid (1940), a great Edward G. Robinson movie, the first I ever saw of him, a million years ago, way before I saw any of his others.
    A comedy mostly, with him, his beautiful girlfriend Flo played by Ann Sothern, Humphrey Bogart as his rival, Ralph Bellamy as this guy Clarence, a real "hick right off the farm" type, hayseed that's it;
    with Donald Crisp (of Lassie Come Home, and National Velvet) as Brother Superior, and Cecil Kellaway (I Married A Witch, Harvey) as Brother Goodwin.
    Great movie, more than a comedy regarding gangster movies. It's got real heart. I guess it has to be seen to be understood.....
    8.5/10

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022 at 4:02 AM
    Jazzmonkie and Fabrice Outside like this.
  25. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

a quiet place.

wow. excellent.