The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

The Salesman

mrjinks and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Serena...

3. steveharris

steveharris Forum Resident

The Expendables III

4. Deuce66

Deuce66 Forum Resident

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle - light/fun, I understand why it was such a surprise hit, a mixture of Raiders/Romancing the Stone/Rundown (one of the Rock's earlier movies). ***1/2 out of 5.

[​IMG]

When four high-school kids discover an old video game console with a game they've never heard of--Jumanji--they are immediately drawn into the game's jungle setting, literally becoming the avatars they chose: gamer Spencer becomes a brawny adventurer (Dwayne Johnson); football jock Fridge loses (in his words) "the top two feet of his body" and becomes an Einstein (Kevin Hart); popular girl Bethany becomes a middle-aged male professor (Jack Black); and wallflower Martha becomes a badass warrior (Karen Gillan). What they discover is that you don't just play Jumanji--you must survive it. To beat the game and return to the real world, they'll have to go on the most dangerous adventure of their lives, discover what Alan Parrish left 20 years ago, and change the way they think about themselves--or they'll be stuck in the game forever...

5. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

On your mention of Kim Novak, I wanted to add that I think her beauty for many overshadowed her exceptional acting talent. For example I think her performance in Vertigo was one of the greatest ever by an actress.

jwoverho and Jimmy B. like this.
  6. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

Sicario (the first one). I rewatched this having seen it before only once, what with the new one coming out. If anything I was more impressed the second time. The conflict between one's moral view of the world with imperfect knowledge, played out by Emily Blunt's character, was more apparent on second viewing. 9/10.

Mother! Great cast largely wasted in a film that had a point of view but somehow, imo, failed to make it. Perhaps Aronofsky deserves credit for aspiring to be like Kubrick. But he's no Kubrick. Generously and for the cast I give it 6/10.

Tokyo Ghost likes this.
  7. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

The Whales of August.
    Not normal fare for L Anderson. It's a very stagey film, obviously a play not opened up. Vincent Price was very good, as was Lillian Gish. The cinematography of the outside shots of Maine was gorgeous.
    Wife watched it twice. Once was fine for me.

8. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

Vacation week watch list

Only 3 that I had never seen before:

1 Snake Pit – 1948

Olivia de Havilland is locked up in a womans mental home.

This movie drove me Nuts! Just plain irratating. Seemed like it would never end.

2/5 stars

2 The Last Jedi

As bad as advertised. Just plain dumb. I kept wondering “When is this going to end?”

2/5 stars

3 The Vietnam War (Ken Burns)

At 2 hours each, I only saw 2 of the 10. Whole lotta politics but will watch the rest on Youtube.

3/5 stars

The rest I have seen several times:

Beatles Anthology * 5/5 stars

Gimmie Shelter * 5/5 stars

Jaws * 5/5 stars

Tomorrow Never Dies * 4/5 stars

Die Another Day * 3/5 stars

Blade Runner 2049 * 4/5 stars

Predator 2 * 3/5 stars

The Phantom Menace * 3/5 stars

Attack Of The Clones * 4/5 stars

The Revenge Of The Sith * 5/5 stars

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  9. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

The Breakfast Club

Jimmy B. likes this.
  10. Standoffish

Standoffish Don't you dare call me an ostrich!

Was it your first time seeing it? What did you think of it?

That was one of the defining movies of my teen years.

Jimmy B. and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  11. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

I thought the movie was great, and it was my first time seeing the movie. My mom on the otherhand thought it was really dated even though she has seen the movie before.

Jimmy B. and Standoffish like this.
  12. Mylene

Mylene Forum Resident

God Help the Girl (2014). A beautiful, anoxic woman walks out of a mental institution and forms a band. I wanted to hate this but it's ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE. Great songs, acting, iconography and pop culture references. 5/5

Dear 23 likes this.
  13. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Forum Resident

The Birdman Of Alcatraz.

First time in years since I watched it, I thought it was excellent.

Rick Bartlett and jwoverho like this.
  14. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Forum Resident

I love when you have a movie, one where every time you see it you think to yourself "This is a perfect movie."
    I just saw one, from my DVD collection (which vastly dwarfs my Blu-rays by over 10 to 1 right now). I hadn't seen in a long enough time, so it was nice and emotional!

[​IMG]

TWELVE ANGRY MEN.

I love this movie!

15. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Lucy (2014) - Scarlett Johansson continues her reign as the current queen of genre film with yet another bonkers entry from Luc Besson about a not particularly bright party girl who is forced to become a mule for the Yakuza and accidentally absorbs a powerful drug that slowly begins to unlock the potential of her mind. As he mental capacity gets greater, she seeks out Morgan Freeman, because who else are you going to turn to in a situation like that, and hopes to capture her super genius thoughts for all mankind before she evolves into a black mass that looks like magnetic dust. Luc muses a lot about the potential of humanity in between action set pieces where ScarJo uses her mind to lay waste to an army of Yakuza, as if sugar coating his message with blood lust makes it go down easier. Nuts but fun.

Iron Man 2 (2010) - The primary function of this movie, it seems, is to make Tony Stark less of an egotistical a-hole and give him a dose of humility so that he can purportedly fit into an Avengers team situation better. That's my take anyway. I do think Sam Rockwell was the perfect villain for this movie and that Mickey Roarke's character was largely an unnecessary distraction; plus Mickey is so weird that every time he is on screen, it kind of takes me out of the reality of the movie. Generally I wish someone had taken that stupid toothpick out of his mouth and given him a good bath. Flowing around the Mickey situation though, is a pretty good movie. Don Cheadle and Gwyneth Paltrow have some nice character beats and Scarlett Johansson was never hotter in her debut as the Black Widow.

The Undead (1957) - A prostitute gets hypnotized by a mad genius scientist who believes that when a person remembers their past life, they actually go back and relive it. In this case, the prostitute goes back in time to relive an experience where she was burned as a witch, only in remembering the incident, she somehow wasn't burned and this endangers the fabric of the future, so the scientist must mind meld with the girl and convince her to sacrifice herself for the good of humanity. There is lots of flowery faux-shakespeare dialogue but the really interesting thing about this movie is that, intentionally or not, it's an EC horror comic come to life, specifically one drawn by the great Wally Wood. The wrap-around story and the shock ending are dead give-aways, but so are the ridiculously voluptuous women who look like those sexy Wood drawings I drooled over as a kid. Yet another 'lost' Roger Corman film that deserves better treatment.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  16. clayton

clayton Forum Resident

Red Rock West - one of Dennis Hoppers finest performances

jwoverho and drgn95 like this.
  17. mBen989

mBen989 Forum Resident

Spartacus

Kundera the joke. and jwoverho like this.
  18. French movie called Bernie (1996)

19. jwoverho

jwoverho Forum Resident

Lancaster was such an effortless actor: he made it look so easy. Maybe that’s why he never got the accolades of many of his peers.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  20. jwoverho

jwoverho Forum Resident

He had such a string of roles around that time starting with BLUE VELVET and HOOSIERS.
    You couldn’t ask for two more different characters either: madman and gentle soul.

21. jwoverho

jwoverho Forum Resident

The Criterion DVD has a terrific commentary track with many of the key players. Ustinov and Douglas provide great insight into the production and relationships among the actors. It’s also one of the more revealing in that the participants give their honest opinions about their costars and the production team.

22. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Forum Resident

Damn Yankees, from 1958.
    [​IMG]
    Starring Tab Hunter, as the DVD I watched, as above, shows!

xdawg likes this.
  23. xdawg

xdawg Skating away...........

Awesome! Gwen Verdon stole the show!

Jimmy B. likes this.
  24. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Entrapment (1999) - At some point, Sean Connery started playing the same basic role over and over again - that of the wizened, curmudgeonly mentor to some younger soul who embroils him in an adventure of some kind, either legal or illegal. Connery is so consistent that even the worst of these movies is watchable, but the quality often hinges on his chemistry with his co-star. In this case, it's Catherine Zeta-Jones as a cat burglar with shifting alliances who wants Sean to be her Sensei for a big score. Zeta-Jones and Connery are two very sexy people and have an instant re pore, making this one go down particularly easy. I mean, everyone likes a good heist picture, right?

Attack of the 50 Foot Woman (1958) - A giant from outer space who looks like a cross between Andy Devine and Otto Preminger, flies around in a floating orb and inexplicably decides to irradiate an emotionally troubled rich woman who's husband is a philandering jerk. It's one of those 'She could buy anything but his love' movies, but when she begins to grow to atomic proportions, her demand for love becomes more stringent. This is one of the few 50's Scfi movies that seems to deliberately have it's tongue in it's cheek, and ends up being a very silly cautionary tale. Be good to your woman, lest she become a giant and squeeze the stuffin' out of ye. Fare thee well...

25. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

this series, still love it:
    [​IMG]

Mylene likes this.