The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Solaresque

Solaresque Forum Resident

The American Friend

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

3. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Forum Resident

"Take A Girl Like You" - Starring
    Hayley Mills & Oliver Reed. I am
    a big big fan of Hayley Mills & I
    am very happy this film is in my
    library.
    [​IMG]

4. Mesozoic Mike

Mesozoic Mike Well-Known Member

Hereditary. Really creepy. Good Halloween movie.

Tim S and BLUESJAZZMAN like this.
  5. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Forum Resident

They never released it on BD. This was the first instance of insanity regarding what's not released on Blu-ray yet, maybe never.
    Then I discovered it was this way too with Roman Holiday, and then on and on...
    I bought this on on HD streaming. Great, really great film.

6. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Forum Resident

King King on Blu-ray. From 1933.
    Moral: pushy filmmakers cause all the trouble in the world.

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  7. Michael

8. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

Do you mean Cell 211??

Michael likes this.
  9. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Art School Confidential (2006) - Pitch black meditation on the absurdity and pretentiousness a young man experiences when he decides to attend art school. What's cool is that, while we see through his eyes all the hypocrisy and BS he has to put up with, we are also made to realize it's just his perspective that he is so much better than the people who are gaining what he considers as undeserved attention, so he ends up being just as full of it as everyone else. Hey it's art. With great performances by John Malkovich as a hack teacher with his own stalled art career, and Jim Broadbent in a savage portrayal of the artist who stays true to his muse. The second film from Terry Zwigoff and Daniel Clowes. Not as good as Ghost World but still pretty eccentric. They should do 'Like a Velvet Glove Cast in Iron' next...

Also tried to watch something called the 'Champagne Gang' about a bunch of hot girls who commit crime, but I couldn't get through it. When someone sets out to make a bad version of an Andy Sidaris movie, you know you're in trouble. Isn't Andy bad enough?

Somewhat Damaged likes this.
  10. Somewhat Damaged

Somewhat Damaged Forum Resident

A far, far, far, far, far more penetrating and insightful film than the awful art house Palme d'Or winning cluster **** that was The Square.

The Accidental Tourist (1988)

A guide book writer for reluctant travellers (William Hurt) separates from his wife (Kathleen Turner) and becomes involved with a dog trainer (Geena Davis, who somehow won the Best Supporting Actress Oscar for this role).

I read the acclaimed book from 1985. It was as expected: a quiet piece of solidly decent but ultimately unremarkable and uneventful literature. A pleasantly average book. The real surprise is how anyone read this and decided they needed to spend years and multiple millions of dollars to turn it into a feature film. There’s nothing obviously cinematic about it. A movie version was not essential. After finishing the novel I watched the film version (my third viewing over many years).

It’s blandly okay. Respectable. Competent. A bit lifeless. It’s just not a particularly exciting story. These slice of life things are usually a bit aimless and inconsequential and this film (and book) can’t shake off that lack of overall dramatic purpose. It’s overlong at nearly two hours and I was a becoming unengaged in the last half hour.

The dog was ‘miscast’ as they couldn’t make him threatening or aggressive enough.

The film has two credited screenwriters but it’s basically a straight filming of the novel with the same characters, scenes and dialogue. There are almost no additions or alterations to the book apart from a few missing scenes to streamline the story. Even then most of those scenes turn up in the 37 minutes of deleted scenes on the DVD. It’s a very, very faithful adaptation.

It’s a perfectly okay movie but it’s not a very interesting one. It works slightly better as a book, but as they are so alike I wouldn’t particularly recommend the novel over the film as it truly is the same story.

Average

11. Michael

No, this:
    [​IMG]

BLUESJAZZMAN likes this.
  12. Michael

thanks...it's frustrating when they don't bump up a favorite movie to BD...or even worse only release it on DVD!

Jimmy B. likes this.
  13. sberger

sberger Grumpy geezer who likes dirty records

14. BLUESJAZZMAN

Oh sorry. It never got great reviews. Any good??

Michael likes this.
  15. Michael

it's OK, but I'm a Cage fan so I'm biased...YMMV....most ppl will find fault with any current Cage flick...yea, he got old. : ) but I still luv 'em.

BLUESJAZZMAN likes this.
  16. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

Is this what Steely Dan was singing about in Razor Boy?

BLUESJAZZMAN likes this.
  17. BLUESJAZZMAN

He's not my favourite actor but has been in some some excellent films. Love Leaving Las Vegas, 8MM, Snake Eyes and The Family Man. Never seen Bad Lieutenant.

Michael likes this.
  18. Tim S

Tim S Forum Resident

In it's own way "Face Off" is the stupidest movie I've ever seen, but I really enjoyed it. Cage is very good in this.

Michael and wavethatflag like this.
  19. wavethatflag

wavethatflag Your Ad Here

Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy. I'm a Will Farrell fan.

The Black Panther. This was OK, but the Marvel superhero thing can be tiresome, and even action movies generally these days. It's basically the same thing over and over and over, or at least it was with this one. Origin story, character that provides main character with tech, fancy-suit that self-applies, air battle juxtaposed with battle on the ground. That said, I still haven't seen and want to see Infinity War, and I thought the last Thor was really good (Ragnorok).

Old School. Will Farrell, again.

Michael likes this.
  20. Michael

BL is very good...you should see it. It's good Nic! I love The Family Man and I do not see it as a Comedy...as labeled.

BLUESJAZZMAN likes this.
  21. Michael

but you can't help not liking it...Cage and Travolta were great!

22. Michael

I have a BD with 3 versions of this movie,,,what's the best one? or which one did you like the best?
    [​IMG]

wavethatflag likes this.
  23. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Venom (2018)

Meh. I'm really tired of the same old origin stories. This one is also a bit muddled as to the nature of the beast. With so many of these types of films getting made, this one did nothing to make it stand out.

24. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

The original all the way for me.

Michael likes this.
  25. Michael

thanks...have you seen the other 2 versions?