The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Tim S

Tim S Forum Resident

I really enjoy actresses that are truly funny - that's a gift, no one can teach someone how to be funny. You either have that or you don't. Fey has it, Poehler has it, Debra Messing and Joan Cusack have it. Of all people, Ana Faris has it in spades - she just doesn't get the roles that really allow her to do what she's best at. I'd argue that so far none of these ladies has gotten well-written, funny roles worthy of their abilities - that sucks.

Butterfly Blue likes this.
  2. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

The Catcher Was a Spy. Very engaging.

3. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

Le Petit Soldat

4. fabre

fabre Forum Resident

Moonrise Kingdom - I am a huge fan of Wes Anderson and I've seen most of his films several times. Moonrise Kingdom still is captivating and charming.

Werk ohne Autor (int. title: Never look away) - epic movie (3 hours and 10 minutes) about the life of a German artist. A childhood in Nazi Germany, youth in the GDR and escape to West Germany later. There have been controversial discussions in Germany and while I think some of the critics' points were valid, I think it was a very exciting story. I loved Paula Beer in Fran├žois Ozon's "Frantz" and Tom Schilling in "Oh Boy". Good actors.

Der Hauptmann (int. title: The Captain) - tells the true story of Willi Herold who in the last days of WWII finds a captain's uniform and pretends to be an officer. He quickly becomes infatuated with his power and commits war crimes of unspeakable atrocity.

5. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

The Sweet Hereafter. Glacially slow and rather pointless.

6. Antmanbee

Antmanbee Mental Toss Flycoon

Currently enjoying Laura (1944).
    Directed by Otto Preminger
    BluRay.

Karnak likes this.
  7. longdist01

longdist01 Forum Resident

8. steveharris

steveharris Forum Resident

Last night:The Thing remake from a few years back & Escape From Alcatraz with Clint Eastwood.

Karnak and Antmanbee like this.
  9. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

10. Tim S

Tim S Forum Resident

One of the few movies to absolutely nail the best mix of horror and comedy. "Send more paramedics" = comedy gold

Manimal likes this.
  11. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

"A Dog's Purpose" (2016)
    With a sequel now out on DVD, my son wanted to re-visit this warm-n-fuzzy tear jerker about a rambunctious pup who lives numerous "lives" over the decades till he's finally reunited with the now-grown boy who was his best friend. If certain scenes in this family flick don't make you tear up, you are a heartless shell of a human. Two paws up (again).

Mothmanica, Karnak and davidb1 like this.
  12. davidb1

davidb1 Forum Resident

"Night School"
    Starring Kevin Hart, it could have been a great movie. First 30 minutes were pretty funny, but downhill fast after that.

13. Tim S

Tim S Forum Resident

I liked it a lot. Yes, it's slow, but I found it absorbing.

Joey The Lemur likes this.
  14. Scope J

Scope J Forum Resident

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

The Rookie...Dennis Quaid. I love this movie!

16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

excellent movies! just recently watched Escape...

steveharris likes this.
  17. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Should've been excellent. Was rather bad ultimately. Weak ending, loose plot threads. Unfortunately, a waste of time.

18. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

Clarification: the sequel to "Purpose," "A Dog's Journey," is coming to theaters, it's not on DVD.

My 11 year old had me reserve a DVD from the library called "A Dog's Way Home," which is based on a book by the same author as "A Dog's Purpose," but is not a sequel to that film. Whatever. I'm sure we'll enjoy this one too.

19. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

+1

20. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Enjoyed this one. Great lighting, sets and photography. It should've been titled "The Angel Of Death".

21. mBen989

mBen989 Forum Resident

William Castle's 13 Ghosts

I found another copy of the original double sided disc (with "Ghost Viewer") to replace the copy I stupidly traded in at F.Y.E. at 2nd and Charles yesterday.

[​IMG]

22. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

The Foot Fist Way
    Young Guns

23. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Forum Resident

Anatomy Of A Murder on Criterion Blu-ray.
    [​IMG]
    I always really liked this movie; was glad to get this this past day. Really great transfer. Excellent all-around movie.

24. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

Only lovers left alive... Love this movie, a modern classic :)

25. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

I last watched PLAYING DEAD (1999) on VHS :)

An interesting movie........ I couldnt see thru it!! -- Was the guy really dead or just pretending as the movie title says??

He found $$$$$$$$$ buried in a cemetary and I dunno exactly what happens...

The last movie I couldnt figure out is MALTESE FALCON (1941) -- ITS HARD TO TELL IF MR BOGART IS INVOLVED!!! (It was so well done)