The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

Missing (1982)

fabre likes this.
  2. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Forum Resident

The Wrong Man (1956) starring Henry Fonda.
    Vera Miles gives an absolutely stunning performance in this most frightening of Hitchcock movies.

3. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Forum Resident

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.
    Starring James Stewart, John Wayne and Vera Miles. And a ton of other famous and notable actors all over the place in it.

4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

The Train.

5. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

That's the one that birthed a million John Wayne "take her easy there, pilgrim" impersonations. Great movie.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  6. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Forum Resident

High Noon.

MASTERPIECE!

harmonica98 likes this.
  7. fabre

fabre Well-Known Member

Agreed!
    Also, the Soundtrack by Dimitri Tiomkin is marvelous. I have it on CD (Screen Archives Entertainment).

Do you know William Wyler's "The Big Country" with Gregory Peck and Jean Simmons? On of my favourite Westerns and Jean Simmons is so adorable!

Jimmy B. likes this.
  8. steveharris

steveharris Forum Resident

Cold Pursuit-Liam Neeson seeks revenge on drug dealers responsible for his son`s murder.The movie begins very dark and turns more to comedy by the end.

9. longdist01

longdist01 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    [2014]​

DesertChaos and Marc 74 like this.
  10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

The Dead Pool... Clint, Liam and Jim...

11. Michael

great great movie...is this on BD?

Jimmy B. likes this.
  12. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Forum Resident

Thank you, no I'll have to look it up!
    I loved Gregory Peck in To Kill a Mockingbird, Roman Holiday (two of my favorite films), and also liked him in Gentleman's Agreement and Spellbound. Not sure what else I've seen him in.
    I still find it interesting that he was the first choice to star in High Noon and turned it down; I wonder what it would be like.
    Jean Simmons I liked very much in Guys and Dolls and even more so in Elmer Gantry.
    I too love the theme song of High Noon by Tex Ritter, don't know all the music.

Last edited: May 18, 2019 at 4:10 AM
    fabre likes this.
  13. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Forum Resident

Yes it actually is! (nice for a change!)
    The Wrong Man Blu-ray

Michael likes this.
  14. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Forum Resident

Paint Your Wagon, starring Lee Marvin and Clint Eastwood. I loved it!

15. fabre

fabre Well-Known Member

Two of my favorites as well! I am a fan of these classic movies and actors/actresses. I've seen almost all films with Audrey Hepburn and have a signed copy of her son's book. She was a great actress. Gregory Peck was great as well, I've seen so many of his films. I grew up with these classic movies. When I was young a lot of these films were shown on television on weekends in the afternoon or late at night.
    I didn't know about him being first choice to star in High Noon, though. I just read through the Wikipedia article and there you can read that Peck turned it down because "he felt it was too similar to his role in The Gunfighter, the year before. He later said he considered it the biggest mistake of his career. [John Wayne,] Marlon Brando, Montgomery Clift, and Charlton Heston also declined the role."
    Wow, that's quite a list of names turning down a role that became such a famous classic!
    When I hear that title I always have to think of this scene:

Jimmy B. likes this.
  16. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

Last night, an oldie but goodie - "Anatomy of a Murder"
    [​IMG]

Jazzmonkie and Jimmy B. like this.
  17. wavethatflag

wavethatflag Your Ad Here

18. wavethatflag

19. harmonica98

harmonica98 Forum Resident

'Amazing Grace' (2018). I'm not sure this is actually good as a film, but Aretha in her prime, of course I enjoyed it.

20. Michael

Jimmy B. likes this.
  21. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Have you seen Man in the Grey Flannel Suit? Highly recommended.

22. wavethatflag

Not that anyone asked, but Repo Man is a really good bad movie with some good punk tunes helping to set the scene. Very 1984.

All That Jazz is incredible, even though I’m not really into Broadway musicals or dance. It manages to romanticize the life of a drug addicted, burn the candle at both ends choreographer/director while also showing you the unvarnished consequences of living such a life.

23. Tim S

Tim S Forum Resident

I really like Repo Man - I don't think of it as a "bad movie" at all. Yes, it's a little cheap looking at times, some of the acting isn't top shelf, and it has some odd shifts in tone. It's hard to describe but I'd say it's dark humor science fiction, maybe?

Mike Nesmith of the Monkees was the executive producer, btw.

24. wavethatflag

Yes! I noticed that in the opening credits.

25. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

"Slumber Party Massacre II" (1987)
    An all-girl rock band heads to a secluded condo for a weekend of practicing and partying. Unfortunately their bash gets invaded by a leather clad rock 'n roll maniac who wields a giant, drill-equipped guitar. This guy is easily one of the dumbest looking villains in slasher history, and he even gets his own musical number in the middle of the movie! Yes, it's just as random and dumb as it sounds. I didn't think the first "Slumber Party Massacre" was particularly great but this one makes it look like solid gold. At least there are some good splashy gory bits and the T&A is nice -- my teenage crush on Crystal Bernard (later of "Wings" fame) was ignited by repeated views of this flick on USA's "Up All Night" back in the day.