Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

WOW! Impressive!

2. longdist01

longdist01 Forum Resident

They Shall Not Grow Old (2018)

saw it again over Memorial Day holiday observances.

Karnak, mBen989 and SandAndGlass like this.
  3. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

I checked it out from the library 4-5 years ago, went right through it. Everything about it was mesmerizing to me, and Liv Ullmann is amazing. Parts of it are difficult indeed to watch, but Bergman has a way of making me watch anyway.

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Johnny Come Lately...such a wonderful movie!

5. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

Séance on a Wet Afternoon

6. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Welcome To Marwen, starring Steve Carrell in the true story of a man who was brutally beaten and created his own world to deal with it. Directed by Robert Zemeckis, this unique and completely unexplainable movie was virtually ignored by the public and savaged by the critics, but it should be seen to be believed. Zemeckis used a form of CGI that rendered faces and put them on posable figures that is incredible and quite creepy. Fully a third of the movie takes place in this world, and while it drags down the movie, I continued to watch because the effect is just mindblowing to see.

longdist01 likes this.
  7. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

8. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

Childhood favorite with Quinn Redeker of "Spider Baby" fame. I saw this in the theatre when it was first released.
    [​IMG]

longdist01 likes this.
  9. fabre

fabre Forum Resident

Unga Astrid / Becoming Astrid

The film is about famous children’s book author Astrid Lindgren, mainly her adolescence and one specific event that deeply affected her life. It was probably the decisive factor that made her want to be a children’s book author. Alba August in the role of Astrid is just marvelous. I liked the film very much.

AndrewK likes this.
  10. Jerrika

Jerrika Mysterious Ways

I watched the Great Pretender documentary about Freddie Mercury. There is a lot of dispute about Freddie's ethnicity. Both the Persians and Indians are fighting to claim him as one of their own. He was a British Citizen who was born in Zanzibar (now part of Tanzania) to Parsi parents from India. Freddie's family moved to India when he was growing up, and Freddie was in a boarding school band called the Hectics. The Parsis were descended from Persian Zoroastrians, and Freddie seemed to identify with them more than any other group of people. He once called himself a "Persian Popinjay."

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
    Standoffish likes this.
  11. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Forum Resident

I saw this in the theatre and fell in love with it. It was only issued on Blu-ray in the US. One of the first BDs I bought.
    [​IMG]

Roninblues and fabre like this.
  12. Antmanbee

Antmanbee Mental Toss Flycoon

Watching Poltergeist (1982)
    Got the BluRay yesterday, along with American Werewolf in London. Love both. Both films really took off, in the UK anyway, with the home video rental boom in the early 80s, along with a bunch of others of the time.

13. Slack Babbath

Slack Babbath Hit The North...

You Were Never Really Here (2017)

Phoenix is great in his dark, gruelling and sometimes brutal film.
    Not a first date film.

14. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Sicario: Day of the Soldano. Dreadful, just dreadful.

15. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

I saw the trailer and I am looking forward to seeing this. It looks heart wrenching.

I must admit I was not a fan of Steve Carrell initially, due mostly to my tying him to his character in The Office, but have been impressed with some of the movie roles he's played of late.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  16. mBen989

mBen989 Forum Resident

Rocketman

maui jim likes this.
  17. longdist01

The Captain (2017) Blu-Ray

18. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Same.

mBen989 likes this.
  19. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Forum Resident

Aquaman / Happy Death Day 2U / In The Heat Of The Night / Replicas
    [​IMG]

longdist01 likes this.
  20. longdist01

Mary Queen of Scots (2018) Blu-Ray

21. fabre

fabre Forum Resident

Dalida

A French biopic telling the story of singer and actress Iolanda Gigliotti better known as Dalida. Ultimately a very tragic story. Dalida was struck by disaster more than once beginning in her childhood in Cairo where allied forces arrested her father in 1940 who returned four years later as a completely different and violent man. There have been a string of suicides by people close to her. Of course, besides all the tragic and death there is lots of music. The film features more than 20 of her songs mostly in French and Italian. Sveva Alviti as Dalida does bear a remarkable resemblance to Dalida. Well worth seeing!

Fastnbulbous likes this.
  22. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Finally saw Captain Marvel. Wasnt as bad as I expected it to be. Definitely not a top tier Marvel movie.

23. Deuce66

Deuce66 Forum Resident

10 Cloverfield Lane - not bad

[​IMG]

24. VU Master

VU Master Senior Member

Some friends came over last night and we watched Apocalypse Now. In my world that's the best movie ever made, period. Each time I watch it I like it more. I dreamed about it all night long.

What a powerful, amazing film. And the soundtrack, which was the first mixed to 5.1, is mind-blowingly good.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  25. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

Sophie's choice. First time we saw it. All three leads were incredible but MS is probably my favorite actress of all time. It's a terrific film but a really tough slog from an emotional standpoint.

Tim S likes this.