The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

2. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Bright Lights, Big City (1988): Michael J. Fox doing coke just about every two minutes, neon lights flashing everywhere, something about a rather hasty separation, oh look he's coking again, music by New Order, Prince, Donald Fagen, Depeche Mode, oh jeeesus! even more coke, a foursome on a narrow club toilet (including snorting coke yet again) aaaand I wonder where Bret Easton Ellis was when this was shot. God, I love the 80s. If Mary Harron didn't take some inspiration from this while shooting her fantastic American Psycho adaption, I don't know. Yup, I thoroughly enjoyed every second of this flick. 80s heads on here: check it out, if you haven't done so already!

3. kevin

kevin Forum Resident

The Public starring Emilio Estevez and Alec Baldwin at my local public library earlier today.

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Pet Semetary 2019...it was better than I expected and I liked the ending...

5. Michael

I have this as well for years! LOVE IT! I am a fan of boxing movies...

Jazzmonkie, Morpheus and Jimmy B. like this.
  6. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Brightburn

7. Troy4

Troy4 Forum Resident

8. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Forum Resident

The Bachelor and The Bobby-Soxer (1947) starring Cary Grant and Shirley Temple and Myrna Loy.
    Very good. Enjoyable film.
    I saw this one once before around at least 15 years ago.

harmonica98 likes this.
  9. Rigoberto

Rigoberto Forum Resident

The Doors 4K Final Cut. A bit long but it was good.

10. harmonica98

harmonica98 Forum Resident

'Sylvia Scarlett' (1935) on the big screen. Often viewed as Cary Grant's breakthrough picture - absolute tosh but Grant is great to watch.

11. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Paddlin’ the school canoe? That’s a paddlin’.

That’s not Ellis’ movie. Ellis’ movie was Less Than Zero. Bright Lights, Big City was written by Jay McInerney.

12. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

I know. I was just referring to how much BLBC reminded me of Ellis' work. Had this been based on an Ellis story, the ending would've been drastically different for sure :D

13. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark. A fun movie. They did s tremendous job of recreating the era and the atmospherics were convincing.

14. badfinger54

badfinger54 Forum Resident

STARDUST (2007). Watched it without having ever heard of it and enjoyed it. It was a bit long, but glad I took the chance.

15. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Caught part of TCM's Bogartathon. In a Lonely Place is unjustly obscure. Great performance by Gloria Grahame, and Nicholas Ray's direction is top notch, African Queen is one I never really liked. The whole premise is silly, Bogart is a caricature, and the finale is contrived. Also has an extremely obnoxious score.

16. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Agree about Lonely Place. Really great flick

17. Fastnbulbous

18. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

19. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Sultan Of Snark

Saw Marianne & Leonard: Words Of Love this past week. A documentary about Cohen, dressed-up as the chronicle of their decades-long relationship. It was rich in detail, full of interview clips, bountiful in archival footage, and you really get a sense of who these people were, and how they mattered to each other.

What I could not for the life of me get out of the entire movie was...why I was supposed to care about them. I get the impression from the lovingly-crafted opus, it assumes you already do, and so wastes no time explaining it to me. Going into the movie with the basics for the casual domestic music observer, such as, "Oh, he's like Canada's Bob Dylan", was not really enough to clear that up for me. Wife came out thinking "it was wonderful", but the cynical side of me suspects she was less caught up in the story's significance, so much as the "gee, I'd love to live on an island in Greece" fairytale. This is the business-model premise that launches a thousand Diane Lane matinee features, not a grand drama of two people who apparently have each others' number on speed-dial, but don't see the need to use it that often.

Also, I got the impression Jennifer Warnes was a little bit more significant figure in Cohen's life. Any involvement other than appearing perched next to two other women in a crowd scene is all we see; no interview quotes or screen credit seems to have been taken into account (think, "Sheryl Crow at a rock benefit event"; no recollection of her being there, one just assumes she was)(yes, that was intentionally snarky, if you're keeping score).

A precious time in history about some precious people living out a precious pair of lives: lives that were entwined as much by love, as somebody with miles of documentary access, feeling the need to show us how much less precious the rest of us all are.
    Somebody who "gets" Cohen and has an affinity for his music, deserved my seat that evening, which was very comfortable.

20. MYKE

MYKE Analog Upstairs, Digital Downstairs

Being There

Jimmy B. and Pinknik like this.
  21. The Iron Giant (DVD). I liked it a lot. In the 50s, a young boy finds a giant metal robot from outer space and they become friends. Funny and then it got me right in the feels. That Brad Bird is a good writer.

22. Jazzmonkie

Jazzmonkie Can't stop buying music.

The Impostors - 1998
    Fun farce starring, written and directed by Stanley Tucci. A great cast and Steve Buscemi sings!

23. Michael

24. joethomas1

joethomas1 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Revisited this last week. Thought it was a pretty good 2nd viewing.

25. Fastnbulbous

Rosemary's Baby. I seem to pay more attention to film scores these days. Maybe this isn't a good thing because a bad score renders the movie unwatchable to me. This one has an excellent score that enhances the experience, rather than distracts or (worse) manipulates it. Great performance by Cassavetes.