The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

[​IMG]
    you will never forget this movie, but will want to...

longdist01 likes this.
  2. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

[​IMG]

Seven Days In May (1964): I have found the love for political thrillers some months ago and stumbled upon this movie some time after. This was recommended to me on this great forum. When the uni's library finally got hold of the Region 1 DVD, there were no second thoughts: I borrowed it today and instantly watched it in the late afternoon.

Burt Lancaster plays a very conservative, power-hungry military general who, along with some other high-ranked personnel, plans to bring down the pacifist president and install their own military government in order to continue building bombs destined for the destruction of the soviet union, if neccessary. Kirk Douglas co-stars as a colonel under Lancaster who uncovers the plot. The film is extremely well edited, shines with a fantastic cast (also featuring Ava Gardner, Edmond O'Brien, Frederic March and the likes) and relies on fantastic dialogue. It pictures just how important free speech and unbiased conversation are in order for a democracy to function. Also, the film hints at how easily a seemingly stable government could be overthrown by a napoleonic, selfish, power-hungry maverick. In my opinion, a movie that holds up extremely well and of which I feel that it remains relevant, 55 years after its initial release.

longdist01 likes this.
  3. harmonica98

harmonica98 Forum Resident

On holiday in the south of France and it's raining and the museums are closed. What better thing to do than to go to the revival of an old film.

So, Love Streams (1984) it is. Loved it. Has anyone looked more dissolute than Cassavetes's character in this picture?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2019 at 4:43 PM
  4. MHS3

MHS3 "Long Live Rock'n'Roll"

The new one is good.
    [​IMG]

JoeOnWheels likes this.
  5. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Close Encounters.
    Still holds up for me.

longdist01 likes this.
  6. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

7. Michael

lots of mindless fun!
    [​IMG]

8. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I'd read about how awful this was, so knew I had to check it out. Wow. Yeah, it's bad. Really really bad. I have no idea what they were thinking. The movie is bad from top to bottom. From the original idea through execution, from characterization to performance, it's a mess. It's Forest Gump plays a stalker. It has more loose ends than a sweater that has been cut in half.

Still, at times it's also funny, which made it worth watching. Just don't expect much. Actually, expect nothing. Definitely going to become a cult classic this. I can't begin to cover this movie.

Be thinking Forest Gump stars in Taxi Driver.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019 at 6:53 PM
  9. Michael

is this out on blu-ray?

10. RickH

RickH Senior Member

Me too :righton:

Derek Slazenger likes this.
  11. mBen989

mBen989 Forum Resident

12. longdist01

longdist01 Forum Resident

I like the Criterion Blu-Ray...it's getting a 4k UHD release this Fall so might look even nicer!

Pinknik and Tim S like this.
  13. longdist01

longdist01 Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    (2016 documentary) ​

fabre and Maranatha5585 like this.
  14. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

15. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Insomnia on Blu-ray.
    Absolutely gorgeous looking, the scenery shots, unbelievable.
    Still a great film of course. I appreciated Hilary Swank's performance more this second time around.

longdist01 likes this.
  16. All Down The Line

All Down The Line Forum Resident

Clockwork Orange 1971

longdist01 likes this.
  17. Michael

18. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I have no idea. However, if it is, get it cheaply. :D

19. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Well, after this and Gotti, Travolta is definitely a guaranteed...............something

Michael likes this.
  20. Michael

can't have winners all the time...life happens. : )

21. Michael

thanks...

22. JoeOnWheels

JoeOnWheels Well-Known Member

The Big Clock (on TCM) 1948
    Big Clock has a surprisingly deep cast, features Milland, Charles Laughton, Elsa Lanchester, George Macready and Maureen O'Sullivan. O'Sullivan doesn't have much to do but I'd happily watch her watching paint dry.

MHS3, your Hellboy review is the most positive I've read, gives me a sliver of hope.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  23. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

"La Ceremonie" (1995, Chabrol) (Criterion Streaming).

A superb psychological drama from one of the masters, Chabrol's "La Ceremonie" is a re-telling of a true story done before as a play by Jean Genet and as a book.
    A wealthy French family with a country house needs a new maid. Sandrine Bonnaire shows up as a seemingly ideal candidate, although she's distant and reserved to the point of rudeness.
    The wife hires her, but the audience is already thinking: "Something ain't right..."

The Hitchcockian build-up, the elegant, realistic storytelling are all Chabrol's trademarks, as is the creeping dread as the details pile up...the film is a master class in directing, acting and screenwriting. Bonnaire and (later) Isabelle Huppert are utterly convincing; their characters truly get under your skin.

No more details, just watch it. Grim and unforgettable.

C.

fabre likes this.
  24. Tim S

Tim S Forum Resident

The poor man's Nicolas Cage?

Michael and The Panda like this.
  25. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Paddlin’ the school canoe? That’s a paddlin’.

Nicolas Cage is the poor man’s Nicolas Cage.

Michael likes this.