The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

thanks so much!

2. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Waaaaay better than the DVD.

Michael likes this.
  3. Michael

I'm sure it does...In WS as well? The DVD was FF IIRC?

4. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Arrival

Only the 2nd time I've seen it, but I really enjoy that movie.

power popper and Michael like this.
  5. Daniel Plainview

It's full frame, as it aired. Color and clarity much improved.

Michael likes this.
  6. Michael

cool..thanks. Really enjoyed this.

7. Michael

LOL, once was more than enough...that movie is so political it could run for office...

8. vapor minor

vapor minor Solid Member

Hannah and Her Sisters (1986)
    As a big Woody Allen fan, it's an absolute mystery to me, why I have never watched this movie in all these years. It's classic Woody and his A material. So well-written and the actors deliver big time*. Barbara Hershey... mmmh. :love:

* except Max von Sydow... what a wooden performance.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  9. Somewhat Damaged

Somewhat Damaged Forum Resident

I saw it a few years ago. it was very plodding. Interestingly Blake Edwards has another gender switch film to his name. It must have been a topic he was fascinated by. It's good (within reason), and it doesn't shy away as much as you might think from the icky stuff that will have male heterosexual audiences squirm.

Switch (1991 film) - Wikipedia

10. CrazyCatz

CrazyCatz Great shot kid. Don't get cocky!

11. Night Flanger

Night Flanger A shade without colour

Mad Max: Fury Road (HD)

McFeast for the eyes :cool:

Tokyo Ghost and Grand_Ennui like this.
  12. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

John Wick 3 (again!) - enjoyed it more the 2nd time around. It's still a one-note pic, but it's a fun note!;). Too bad there aren't awards given for fight choreography. The fights are as difficult to shoot, rehearse, plan, & execute as ANY dance routines. With SO many movies and TV shows featuring this type of choreography, the award(s) would be a hoot!;)

Grand_Ennui and Michael like this.
  13. Michael

I need to revisit this as well! thanks for reminding me. ; )
    that would be cool but can you imagine the ramping up of fight scenes to compete for an award! LOL.

14. razerx

razerx Who me?

10 Cloverfield Lane

Full of surprises

Tim S likes this.
  15. Michael

The Lost Boys... for October...

Grand_Ennui and Karnak like this.
  16. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

Interstellar. But to be fair, this is like the third time this month.

JW3 is such a fun ride. I'm not sure I could pick a favorite from that franchise, so I just watch them all, frequently.

17. Daniel Plainview

Revenge of the Nerds

18. Tim S

Tim S Forum Resident

Might check it out, available free (with ads) from

10 Cloverfield Lane (2016)

We'll just have to say if I can tolerate the ads - I'm a cheap b____rd

19. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

"Planet of the Apes" (1968 version of course)

20. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Criss Cross (1949).

palisantrancho and LeBon Bush like this.
  21. Bad Moon (1996) on Shudder.

Michael Paré and Mariel Hemingway. He is trying to solve the mystery of his werewolf condition. He thinks maybe time with family will help. He’s wrong, but his sister is fairly oblivious to his problem. Thor, the family dog, is not. He knows what’s up and he has to protect the family. I liked this. The most unfortunate scene is where they decide to use 1996 cgi for a transformation. Turrible. Otherwise, nice practical effects.

22. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

[​IMG]

The Philadelphia Story (1940): This movie hits the 80-year mark next year and it still feels more progressive and relatable than just about any romantic comedy Hollywood put out the last 20 years. How is that even possible?

It sure helps that all three men who are somehow involved with Katharine Hepburn are far from being idealistic portrayals of how men should be. They're all flawed, and to a certain extent want to see Hepburn's character as something she really isn't. Cary Grant sees her as a goddess, the dude she wants to marry says she's like a statuette and James Stewart hits closest to home by saying what warmth she keeps inside of her before spoiling it by saying she's like a queen and needs to be treated like one. And apart from all the hysterically funny moments (many of which are straight out owned by a young Virginia Weidler who co-stars as Hepburn's younger sister Dinah), I think this is a very intelligent movie on how we often want to see things in people that are not there and how much richer a relationship or friendship becomes when we treat the other person like a human being, embrace their flaws and keep the fire burning.

Yeah, I probably read a lot into this film, but the verdict is straightforward: watch it, if you haven't. This is a brilliant slice of golden-age Hollywood comedy.

Addendum: the moment Hepburn gets up on her wedding day, totally hungover, immediately closing her eyes as they hit daylight? We've all been there... finally some convincing "drunk scenes" in a movie!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    ConnieGuitar likes this.
  23. Murder Party (2007) on Netflix. A guy finds an invitation to a Murder Party and figures, why not? Well, some art students intend to murder him for some art grant money is why not. I liked this one as well. Picture a very bloody Scorsese’s After Hours.

24. steveharris

steveharris Forum Resident

Anna-Good fictional KGB assasin movie.

25. Tokyo Ghost

Tokyo Ghost Senior Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]