The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

I think this film would make it onto a top ten of all time for me.

Borgia likes this.
  2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

wow haven't seen that one since 72!

3. longdist01

longdist01 Forum Resident

The Quiet One - 2019
    (Bill Wyman's documentary)

4. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

absolutely agree. did lke the film. and Cumberbatch was quite good.

5. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

The Laundromat-Netflix-intriguing premise and promising cast but what a dud. started out decent and went downhill from there. actually turned it off but returned to finish a couple of days later. not recommended.

6. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    The Night Of The Hunter (1956). Perfection.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    Fastnbulbous and LeBon Bush like this.
  7. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo Senior Member

Just finished Crooked Web (from Parker box 2), starting Cell 2455 Death Row same box.
    85-90% of these b-flicks are kind of fun.

8. Michel_LeGrisbi

Michel_LeGrisbi Far-Gone Accumulator ™

The Great Escape

jlocke08 likes this.
  9. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Has Anybody Seen My Gal? (1952): Alright, so I borrowed out a box set with 7 films by Douglas Sirk. This was the first movie included and I really enjoyed it - though atypical for him, as this is a pretty straightforward comedy set in the late 1920s. I loved how they included real pop songs from the era - much like "Meet Me In St. Louis" did with its vision of turn-of-the-century americana. Charles Coburn is a great lead in this flick - such a warmhearted character. Plus, James Dean in an early uncredited cameo.

All I Desire (1953): The next Sirk flick, starring Barbara Stanwyck as an actress who comes home to see the family she abandoned years ago. A bit on the melodramatic side, but also a statement for women who have to face social prejudice once they make even the slightest mistake. At least that's how Sirk shows life in this movie and in my opinion he succeeds very much in getting across his message that nobody can ever hope to be perfect, after all. Very enjoyable, looking forward to the other movies in the set :righton:.

Katzelmacher (1969): An early Fassbinder, this small-scale social drama is especially reminiscent of "nouvelle vague" directors François Truffaut and Agnes Varda - unfortunately, this film is too disjointed to really hold up to the mentioned persons' or Fassbinder's own subsequent work. Little side plots are being hinted at, and it would've made the film so much more tangible had Fassbinder explored at least some of those distractions. What remains is a fascinating look at the "antitheater x", Fassbinder's crew at the time, and a powerful, ambiguous ending. Interesting watch (and a must for Fassbinder explorers), but the film's elaborations upon loneliness and shallowness in society are nowhere near the same observations made in Fassbinder's works like "Fear Eats The Soul" or "World On A Wire".

Man, Pride & Vengeance (1967): Georges Bizet's "Carmen" as a spaghetti western and without the amazing music. Can that work? Well... no. Despite the fantastic cast (Franco Nero and Klaus Kinski are the male leads while Tina Aumont takes the part of Carmen), this is a bo-o-oring watch. Only for the hardcore spaghetti and/or opera fanatics.

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  10. HenryH

HenryH Forum Resident

11. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Forum Resident

'Dr Stranglove' an amazing film that one simply never tired of.:edthumbs:

12. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

The Night of the Hunter (1955): Wow, that was a fantastic watch! There is so much going on beneath the surface of this I'll have to rewatch it soon enough. Absolutely enthralling right from the beginning. Robert Mitchum gives such an amazing, creepy performance as the fake preacher chasing down the two children (who were great as well) it's no wonder he eventually came to view this as his best performance on screen. And the style is so grand. A unique combination of 1920s expressionism, 1950s horror and the kind of social criticism that would become more dominant in the various New Waves that were soon to follow this film. Great I finally found the mood to watch this masterpiece.

Tim S and Jimmy B. like this.
  13. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Forum Resident

Glad you enjoyed it so!
    It's definitely one of my very favorite movies since first my viewing of it.
    And yes Mitchum is completely outstanding in this.
    Another thing this movie has is the absolutely incredible direction by Charles Laughton. The way this was filmed is just amazing, it's out of this world, visually.

Tim S and LeBon Bush like this.
  14. Michael

The Invisible Man from the BD Box...

moomoomoomoo and Jimmy B. like this.
  15. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

:agree::agree::agree:

The underwater shot (you know) is so amazing because it just totally tricks with the viewers sense of realism. The shadowplay, the strange architecture, lighting... this is a true work of art. Just completely mesmerizing.

Tim S and Jimmy B. like this.
  16. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Forum Resident

I saw two movies tonight
    I have them both on DVD but got to see them in HD this past night
    The first was The Wolf Man (1941) starring Lon Chaney Jr. and with Claude Rains nice appearance by Bela in it, great movie. I must upgrade one of these days.
    The second was the incredible Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde from 1931 starring Fredric March. What a film. My God.
    This version tonight was the masterpiece I've seen it as before. In my top 100 or 50 or whatever it is. I just know I love this film.
    I was amazed by it the first time I discovered it years ago.
    Fredric March gave an outstanding performance too.
    Just fantastic.
    [​IMG]

17. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo Senior Member

Have you ever seen the 1920's John Barrymore silent version of J&H? It's also excellent.

18. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Wow. This was bad. So bad. Don't get me wrong, it's well made, decent performance. it's just that virtually nothing happens. I knew nothing going in, that was a mistake. 76 minutes I won't get back.

19. Michael

Abbott & Costello Meet The Invisible Man...BD

20. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Forum Resident

No, I've wondered about that one though. I might one day, thanks for the recommendation.

21. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Around Halloween I saw the 1963 The Haunting for the first time and, well, I don’t see why so many consider it the best movie of its kind ever made. The Innocents (1961) is far better, IMO.

Karnak likes this.
  22. Tim S

Tim S Forum Resident

There's a few similar elements, but overall I don't think these 2 movies are comparable. When people praise The Haunting they are considering it the best haunted house film.

23. Monosterio

Would The Others be in that category? I certainly preferred that one. Can’t think of any other good ones, though.

24. Monosterio

A few days after The Haunting I saw In the Heat of the Night. Weakest part is the ending (the resolution of the murder mystery), but still a great movie and one of the best of the '60s. :righton:

LeBon Bush likes this.
  25. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I easily consider it one of the best in that particular genre. The Haunting is an amazing film, and it still gives me chills. The Innocents is good too.