The last movie you watched was...? (take five)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Ken_McAlinden, Dec 8, 2014.

1. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

[​IMG]

The Marriage Of Maria Braun (1979):
    What a year for german film! Nosferatu The Vampyre, The Tin Drum, The Third Generation... and this. The one that made the amazing Hanna Schygulla a star in Germany and abroad. The one that could've been Fassbinder's entry to great international success hadn't he died three years later. But what a movie this is: torn apart by war and the sheer will to survive, Schygulla's Maria Braun becomes a master of precision and emotional suppression as she climbs up the ladder of the new german republic about to rise from the ashes of the 3rd Reich like a phoenix. "It's a bad time to have feelings", she says at one point and perfectly captures what this movie is about, at least partially. It's such an artificial piece at times (and intentionally so), you just can't help but be totally mesmerized by every second of it. The soundscape consists of various layers of dialogue, the noise of steam hammers, german schlagers and original radio transmissions, creating a really eerie, unique atmosphere. One of those works that really show what film can do if done the right way. Must-watch!

moomoomoomoo and Balthazar like this.
  2. Jojo Rabbit. Excellent dark comedy with strong control of tone, that balances the truly dark, ugly moments without descending into sentimentality. Kind of made me think of what Come and See might’ve been like if it was a dark comedy directed by Wes Anderson before he got too precious. Particular kudos to the young actor playing Jojo, who doesn’t set a foot wrong. And great use of German-language Bowie and Beatles.

3. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

I recorded it onto the cable box in HD from TCM movies.

Michael likes this.
  4. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Midway

longdist01 likes this.
  5. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo Senior Member

I totally agree that Lugosi was the best ever in the role. As far as films, I prefer both versions of Nosferatu (the Murnau & the Kinski) & the Spanish Dracula (made at the same time as Bela's; using the same sets but a much better director.)

Michael likes this.
  6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

agree...: )

7. Michael

gotcha...: )

8. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

Saw 16 Blocks, Richard Donner's last film. It wasn't great but it was an enjoyable film, and I don't regret seeing it.

16 Blocks - Wikipedia

I generally enjoy Bruce Willis and David Morse as actors, and Mos Def turned in a good, if strange, performance.

9. Karnak

Karnak "81-82-83-84..."

Rocky III - never seen it before. Burgess Meredith was superb, especially in the leaving scene, but he had had lots of practice. Mr 'T' had not, but he was superb as well.

Michael and Jimmy B. like this.
  10. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Senior Member

The Mummy.
    First time ever seeing it; great film! Really cool.
    (yes, 1932, Boris Karloff etc)

11. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

I watched On the Basis of Sex tonight--5 stars.

12. moomoomoomoo

One of my fav BK horror films. I prefer it over Frankenstein.

Karnak and Jimmy B. like this.
  13. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Senior Member

I still have to see Nosferatu. I've thought of watching it the past three nights. (I'd watch the original version). There's a lot of films I want to see.

14. moomoomoomoo

Both are very much worth watching, but I would recommend the most recent restoration of the Murnau first. The restoration is so clear that a previously unnoticed piece of cotton (part of Max Shreck's makeup) becomes briefly painfully visible! If you can play PAL R2 DVD or R.B blu the MOC/Eureka is my go to.

One other Nosferatu recommendation: Nicholas Cage's Shadow Of The Vampire: a semi fictionalized making of Nosferatu which takes the point of view, "What if Max Shreck REALLY was a vampire"? He wasn't, he was mostly known for a few German silent b-pics, but if you can suspend belief & put your self in the 1920's he's quite believable & scary in Nosferatu.

The Kinski is a surprisingly well done 80's remake of the silent original; & also stays surprisingly close to the storyline of the Murnau original.

Jimmy B. likes this.
  15. HairyWeimer

HairyWeimer I can resist anything but temptation.

This is the one I have but in standard DVD, must get the bluray version..

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  16. moomoomoomoo

I have the dvd also (MOC), I need to upgrade this & a couple more Langs & Murnaus. Of course the moment I do, my region free blu-ray player will die.....! I have an Oppo 95, & it does a tremendous job of upsampling dvd's, though in most cases I agree, the blu is usually going to look better.

HairyWeimer likes this.
  17. HairyWeimer

HairyWeimer I can resist anything but temptation.

For region free players I always buy from Richer sounds to make sure obscure imported films will play.

18. moomoomoomoo

My Oppo 95 has a hardware hack (rumored to also work with the 103 & 105) that makes it truly region free. The board is no longer available. Because of a power transformer explosion across the street, I had to buy a 2nd board (it just plugs in to 2 jacks on the back).
    The first one cost $30 in 2012. This one cost $90 (with a discount) early this year. I believe there are a few cheap players (Sony??) that can be made Region free pretty easily, but I am so spoiled with the quality of that Oppo. I wish I would have had the $'s to pick up a 205 while they were available, but I didn't.

As far as I know there's nothing even close to comparable quality to the 9.x, 10.x or 20.x on the market; especially when keeping in mind both the audio and video quality.

19. Frangelico

Frangelico Forum Resident

Journey to Italy - 5/10

I’ve always found this overrated. Unconvincing performances and strangely truncated views of Italy. Forced metaphor too.

20. longdist01

longdist01 Forum Resident

They Shall Not Grow Old (2018) Blu-Ray

Karnak and Mylene like this.
  21. mBen989

mBen989 Forum Resident

Charlie Chaplin's The Circus
    (Criterion BluRay)

[​IMG]

22. Michael

23. Michael

Karloff was amazing in this! really scared me when I was a youngster!

Jimmy B. and Karnak like this.
  24. Michael

yes! I love R3...Rocky dug deep on this one...love the come back!

Karnak likes this.
  25. moomoomoomoo

After several days of music, I think this is going to be a movie night for me. Deciding between the Parker Noir box & the Ingmar Bergman box (I've had the wonderful Bergman box for almost a year & have only watched about 2/3 of it!) I've previously seen around 2/3 of the films in the Bergman box over the years, but almost all of these are new restorations & are a huge upgrade. I sold a lot of I.B. dvd's on ebay when I got the Criterion blu box, which a couple retailers were all but giving away last xmas. I think I only have 2 or 3 of the duplicate dvd's left.

vapor minor likes this.